OC age

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thisislife

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I have a few questions. I am sure it has been asked before but I looked in the first 5 pages and didn't see it. 1. I would like to know the age limit on open carry in the state of Louisiana. 2. Do I need some kind of permit to carry a gun in my truck, say maybe in my console or glove compartment, or does this fall under open carry. Or since your vehicle falls under an ext. of your home does it matter if I have it in there or not? Like I said if this has been asked before I am sorry, I would just like to know. Thanks

L

Louisiana Shooter

There is nothing in Louisiana law which prohibits carry by minors who are in lawful possession of a handgun.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    Interesting provision in Louisiana law: RS 14:95.8

§95.8. Illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile

A. It is unlawful for any person who has not attained the age of seventeen years knowingly to possess any handgun on his person. Any person possessing any handgun in violation of this Section commits the offense of illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile.
    C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to any person under the age of seventeen years who is:
    (7) Possessing a handgun with the written permission of such person's parent or legal guardian; provided that such person carries on his person a copy of such written permission.

So, a parental note actually allows a minor to possess a handgun in LA!

Also, from the language in this law, it appears that 17, not 18, is the legal age to possess a handgun on one's person.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. I am not even an I-Lawyer.

Top Bottom