OC at Police Stations

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockrunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Anyone point me to the statute that makes it unlawful to OC in a police station?

I've always thought it was unlawful, but can't find the statute that makes it so.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    It's the same one that prohibits schools and judicial buildings if I remember correctly.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    That would not be prudent. Do you want to push the envelope where you will probably be disarmed and detained?

Glockrunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    The question arose from another related discussion regarding the LSP cafeteria and was the LSP training facility an OC no-no.

"It's unlawful to OC at a police station" as stated in ... the statute is .... is ...." and no one can find it.

I'm not considering it at all. It's a case of having the backing when one states 'doing that is unlawful because ..'

Last edited:

thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    I honestly could find nothing. There is a statute prohibiting CCW holders from entering police stations, jails, courts, etc. It does not mention open carry, but I think I would apply the same rules to myself if such rules applied to myself.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    You would have to be out of your mind to OC at a police station. It does not matter what the law states. Any behavior that makes LE feel threatened or uneasy is ill advised and should not be encouraged.

Glockrunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    I'll repeat that I'm not considering OC'ing the above mentioned scenario. While it appears to be legal to do so it just isn't worth the risk.

It was a discussion where everyone thought it was illegal, but no one could point to the statute and say 'and that's why'.

Glockrunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Re the WBRZ article.

That station is more or less just up the road from me. I was at the intersection waiting on the light as the ambulance left the scene.

No I was not OC'ing - I was driving home from work.

Craig8sm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    Anyone point me to the statute that makes it unlawful to OC in a police station?

I've always thought it was unlawful, but can't find the statute that makes it so.

That would be the "nope" statute..

Regardless of what the letter of the law says, attempting to OC in a LE building will certainly end negatively for whomever feels a need to test this situation. Aside from that, it's just poor judgment, gives fuel to the anti-gun faction and generally gives legally armed citizens an bad reputation, because people who have no interest in looking beyond the surface of issues rarely differentiate between responsible gun owners and irresponsible gun owners.

radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    Funny how ordinary law-abiding civilians are supposed to abide by one set of rules but other ordinary law-abiding civilians carrying a badge have another. Shouldn't a plainclothed person that OCs be given the same amount of respect and courtesy as any officer? Speaking on principle that is. Unless a law prohibits something, it is legal and to be respected as such.

But then again, laws don't seem to matter as much anymore here.

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Funny how ordinary law-abiding civilians are supposed to abide by one set of rules but other ordinary law-abiding civilians carrying a badge have another. Shouldn't a plainclothed person that OCs be given the same amount of respect and courtesy as any officer? Speaking on principle that is. Unless a law prohibits something, it is legal and to be respected as such.

I'm courteous to everyone. I really do not see your point.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington

The difference is simple. Anybody that can buy a gun can open carry, no matter how good of an idea it is, as evident by the OC activism widely proclaimed on the interwebs. The badge generally carries a bit less levity than filling out 4473 and having internet law degree.

Contrary to popular belief it is not quite as easy to obtain and maintain a POST certification (badge) as some apparently think. Buying a gun and earning a badge (metaphorically speaking) are two completly different things.

I can buy an F4 Phantom, but I aint a pilot. You wanna take a ride?

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    After the radical 1968 GCA, it took decades for government and LE to accept CC for civilians. It will take some time for OC to gain the same level of acceptance. OC at the wrong time and place is not the way to get it accepted.
    Alienating LE is not the way to gain support for the 2nd Amendment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom