OC Question?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    I have been looking up the laws on OC in Louisiana but cant find what I am looking for. My question is... when I OC my XDm can I have a round in the chamber? .. OR...Can my mag be loaded but without a round in the chamber? .. Or... Do I carry my full mag out of my weapon? My GF and I are starting to ride our bike and we must go through some not so great neighborhoods. I am working on getting my CC but have not been able to yet. Thanks for any info

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    There is no law saying that you can carry openly in LA nor describing a proper way to do so. There simply is no law saying that you can't (except in certain places). There are some links to Attorney General opinions attesting to the legality of OC in LA posted in one of the forums.

I only resort to open carry when I'm not in a populated area, or I have some reason to take off my "cover garment", or I'm in a place where I'm well known.

It would be cool to find a saddler interested in making a "pommel" holster for a bike. Pommel bags are similar to saddle bags but go in front, attaching to the pommel (where the horn is on a western saddle) instead of the rear skirt.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    There are several good if not new AG letters about OC...one from AG to Westlake La CoP explaining that a holstered gun in plain view is not illegal.

I have the dam letters somewhere in this machine but they are not showing up roght now.

I think I got them on the Google

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I have been looking up the laws on OC in Louisiana but cant find what I am looking for. My question is... when I OC my XDm can I have a round in the chamber? .. OR...Can my mag be loaded but without a round in the chamber? .. Or... Do I carry my full mag out of my weapon? My GF and I are starting to ride our bike and we must go through some not so great neighborhoods. I am working on getting my CC but have not been able to yet. Thanks for any info

MUST? Why not just avoid the "not so great neighborhoods?

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    As stated, there are not laws against how to carry (loaded or unloaded) in La. Other states have various restrictions. California requres you to carry unloaded. I think it's Utah that requires you to carry with chamber empty.
    Go here to see the AG opinons as well as case law on the subject of OC in LA. http://www.laopencarry.org/how-do-i-know-open-carry-is-legal-in-louisiana-t73.html
    See a few FAQs here- http://www.laopencarry.org/frequently-asked-open-carry-questions-t75.html .
    And until just a couple of years ago, your city, Amite, had a ban on carrying firearms, concealed or open, within the city limits. You can thank MEM for taking the issue to the city council and getting the prohibition removed from the books.

irishredhead

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2010
    Slidell, La
    MUST? Why not just avoid the "not so great neighborhoods?

Kinda cant avoid them. I live down tward the airport in Hammond and in order to get to my GF's job we have to go up West Thomas and into downtown Hammond right through Range Road... <--- not so great place. there is really no way around on bike. I had some issues with my car... I am working on getting a new one if the guy would respond to my pm's :p

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    ^^^ oops.. didnt realize my GF was logged in.. and no.. i do not go through any school zones. I only really want to start carrying at night.. during the day i feel pretty safe.. but if she picks up the night shift i would feel more comfortable if I were to be carrying.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    And until just a couple of years ago, your city, Amite, had a ban on carrying firearms, concealed or open, within the city limits. You can thank MEM for taking the issue to the city council and getting the prohibition removed from the books.

No way :run: :mamoru: He'll never get credit for that ;)

Hope you don't ride your bike through a school zone.

Seriously? :rolleyes:

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Never mind. Erase everything I said. I was mistaken.

I really hate the part of the argument where I realize I was wrong...

I thought the same thing at first...which brings another kwestchin...if they HAD CHP's and rode while OC'n thru a school zone, would that be legal ??
    Not on school property, just ride by on street.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I really hate the part of the argument where I realize I was wrong...

I thought the same thing at first...which brings another kwestchin...if they HAD CHP's and rode while OC'n thru a school zone, would that be legal ??
    Not on school property, just ride by on street.

I am NOT getting involved again! Proving me wrong once was embarrassing enough!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom