Officer Finds and Returns $120,000

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    With all the cop bashing going on, I wanted to add a little positive light for our hard working men and women LEO's.

The officer, who did not want to be identified, told reporters Monday that she stopped her personal vehicle after swerving around the bags of cash in the middle of Concord Boulevard, and then turned around to investigate, according to NBC Bay Area.

She opened one of the bags and discovered they were "full of money," CHP spokesman John Fransen told reporters.

Fransen said that's when the sergeant, a 20-year highway patrol veteran, alerted law enforcement and turned over the money to Concord Police.

Police identified the owner as a 31-year-old man who had recently reported losing his $120,000 life savings, according to The Associated Press.

"I am paid to uphold the law and it's my job to set the example whether I'm working or not," the sergeant said. "I am happy to hear the rightful owner was identified and that the money has been returned."

Avery Browne, chief of the California Highway Patrol's Golden Gate Division, told reporters it was great to talk about officers doing something positive even though the sergeant was not on duty, according to KTVU-TV.

"On too many occasions our personnel do not pause to be recognized as they feel they were simply doing their job," Browne said.

The case is similar to another California incident in June where Joe Cornell, a recovering alcoholic, returned $125,000 that fell off a Brinks armored truck in Fresno. He received a $5,000 reward from the company for returning the money.

icetraxx

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Doing the right thing is still out there even amoung kids. My son told me out of the blue last night that during the homecoming dance he found a large(to him at least) wad of cash on the ground. He he found principal and turned it over to him. This was 2 weeks ago. Yesterday after he did the announcements the principal called him to the side and told him that he owed him a coke for doing the right thing and to come find him at lunch. The principal bought him a coke and a bag of skittles. He drank the coke and gave the skittles to his math teacher for an in class project that the class needed skittles for. Makes me think I am getting through to him sometimes!

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Doing the right thing is still out there even amoung kids. My son told me out of the blue last night that during the homecoming dance he found a large(to him at least) wad of cash on the ground. He he found principal and turned it over to him. This was 2 weeks ago. Yesterday after he did the announcements the principal called him to the side and told him that he owed him a coke for doing the right thing and to come find him at lunch. The principal bought him a coke and a bag of skittles. He drank the coke and gave the skittles to his math teacher for an in class project that the class needed skittles for. Makes me think I am getting through to him sometimes!

Awesome Job Dad! :hi5:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    31 year old man with $120K in cash? In Tennessee it would be confiscated.

Why would it be confiscated? I'm not saying I walk around with 100k sitting in my back pocket, but if it was MINE, and I legally earned it, why can't I take it along with me?

Hermit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2007
    Ascension
    Why would it be confiscated? I'm not saying I walk around with 100k sitting in my back pocket, but if it was MINE, and I legally earned it, why can't I take it along with me?

You haven't seen the "civil" forfeiture threads?
    "Your property is guilty until you prove it innocent."

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Similar deal happened on the Westbank sometime last year I think, I believe it was a P&P agent who saw a box in the street that was found to contain bank cash bags that had somehow fallen from a courier truck of some sort.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Reading is fundamental. Go to ARFCOM and search for 'civil forfeiture'. Apparently, in some parts of TN and GA, large amounts of cash are frequently confiscated by LE. Very difficult to get back.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I know a lot of business owners that their business collects a lot of cash. And it's not unusual for them to have say 50k on them. Bc they have to go business to business and collect before they make the deposit. I would hate for the police to confiscate his money for just doing part of his daily business. And a large amount of money is relative. Bc what's large to you may not be to me. I See a lot of people carrying wads of cash, and i myself may walk around with say 1k on me. But I know sometimes I can get a good deal on something if I pay cash, or have it up front. It worked on private sales, at the appliance stores and furniture stores. But I was pulled over once and taken in on a warrant that ended up being a mix up with someone else profile. The the lady officer grabbed all my belongings and asked if I had anything else, I said I had a little money, and she counted I think 700 that day and gave me a funny look. Here I am, wearing a suit, getting checked in, and they try to make it seem im doing something wrong? I make a comfortable living, I under stand if they want to confiscate your couple thousand dollars if they find say narcotics in the car, or caught you in the act of a "deal" but we should be able to walk around with any amount of money.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I know a lot of business owners that their business collects a lot of cash. And it's not unusual for them to have say 50k on them. Bc they have to go business to business and collect before they make the deposit. I would hate for the police to confiscate his money for just doing part of his daily business. And a large amount of money is relative. Bc what's large to you may not be to me. I See a lot of people carrying wads of cash, and i myself may walk around with say 1k on me. But I know sometimes I can get a good deal on something if I pay cash, or have it up front. It worked on private sales, at the appliance stores and furniture stores. But I was pulled over once and taken in on a warrant that ended up being a mix up with someone else profile. The the lady officer grabbed all my belongings and asked if I had anything else, I said I had a little money, and she counted I think 700 that day and gave me a funny look. Here I am, wearing a suit, getting checked in, and they try to make it seem im doing something wrong? I make a comfortable living, I under stand if they want to confiscate your couple thousand dollars if they find say narcotics in the car, or caught you in the act of a "deal" but we should be able to walk around with any amount of money.

Beyond some amount though (120k for example), the kind of people that have that much set aside want more return on their savings than a duffle bag provides. When it comes to people driving around with that kind of cash, (especially carrying it in a manner in which it could fall off the vehicle), it generally means that its someone that doesn't want their business transactions recorded. Some specific unsavory professions come to mind...

Last edited:

Hermit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2007
    Ascension
    Beyond some amount though (120k for example), the kind of people that have that much set aside want more return on their savings than a duffle bag provides. When it comes to people driving around with that kind of cash, (especially carrying it in a manner in which it could fall off the vehicle), it generally means that its someone that doesn't want their business transactions recorded. Some specific unsavory professions come to mind...

"Generally," sure, but they oughtta have to prove it, not just confiscate yer stuff.
    It's still printed on the money: "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private."
    It doesn't say how much you can carry around with you.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    "Generally," sure, but they oughtta have to prove it, not just confiscate yer stuff.
    It's still printed on the money: "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private."
    It doesn't say how much you can carry around with you.

not arguing that at all. I have no experience or knowledge about how they do whatever they may/may not do elsewhere. Anyone got a case file to link as an example?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jerry1090
    Top Bottom