Ok i know this is old news but whats the right awnser on OPEN CARRY

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • richardbeater

Argh!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 15, 2010
    Fort Polk
    I know this has been touched on but im still confused, i have a couple of questions on this

1) Can you open carry in LA
    2) Is there a limit to what you can carry weapon type no i dont wanna walk down the street with an ak strapped across my back lol
    3) Is there a limit to having one chambered ? how many in the mag
    4) If its in your car where can it be at under your seat in the glove box where can the mag be in it or seperated.
    5) I know no goverment places or worship or where a protest is takin place as well as any place serving devils fire water. but is there any place else
    6) Last question and prob the stupidest what kind of holster does it have to latch

agian thanks and i knowthis is old but i dont wanna go to jail ya know, thanks in advance also with out being a dick NO INTERNET LAWYERS AWNSER THESE QUESTIONS UNLESS YOU OFFER THE SEVICE TO COME GET ME OUT OF JAIL LOL:mamoru:

richardbeater

Argh!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 15, 2010
    Fort Polk
    anyone that doesnt wanna be a smart donkey and can awnser and not go on "i think" would be many thanks cuase i know the awnser to this on post(army base) but not in the real world thanks again for your help

richardbeater

Argh!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 15, 2010
    Fort Polk
    i dont have one and i am appling for one and am wondering what the deal is if its the same as CHP then why spend the money is my question yeah know im in the army and really dont worry to much about it but am just lookin for awnsers not lookin to start an egypt riot

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    You-know-Ive-been-wondering-this-myself.jpg

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    just read the carry forum, most of your answers are there.

no restrictions on gun(s) or holster.
    yes the gun can be fully loaded.
    can be anywhere in your car loaded.
    any restaurant that serves alcohol is off limits.

also google local. louisiana open carry something something.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    any restaurant that serves alcohol is off limits.

Could you please further educate us on that one ???????? Not being an ... but its bad enough the OP is lost to put it lightly, would it make more sense to say respect the wish of the owner ....

With your reasoning my local Mexican Restaurant that sells a Margarita in the booth family area would be off limits eventhough its does Not fall under the definition of LRS26:271.2(1)

THANKS in advance.

(He is trying to understand what he can and cant do once he gets a permit also, see post #9)

Last edited:

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I know this has been touched on but im still confused, i have a couple of questions on this

2) Is there a limit to what you can carry weapon type no i dont wanna walk down the street with an ak strapped across my back lol
    4) If its in your car where can it be at under your seat in the glove box where can the mag be in it or seperated.
    5) I know no goverment places or worship or where a protest is takin place as well as any place serving devils fire water. but is there any place else
    6) Last question and prob the stupidest what kind of holster does it have to latch

agian thanks and i knowthis is old but i dont wanna go to jail ya know, thanks in advance also with out being a dick NO INTERNET LAWYERS AWNSER THESE QUESTIONS UNLESS YOU OFFER THE SEVICE TO COME GET ME OUT OF JAIL LOL:mamoru:
    [Insert standard legal disclaimer here]

1) Yes
    2) No
    3) No
    4) Anywhere, can be loaded
    5) Probably
    6) Doesn't matter

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    I guesss I'll jump in here and help out.

Open Carry of firearms is legal in Louisiana and has been for most of this states history. It used to be more common but social norms change over time and with the introduction of the Statewide CHP had pretty much disappeared. In the last few years there has been a resergence of a sort and websites like Open Carry dot ORG have helped those who have questions like yours to get answers and feel more confident in open carrying. The La Open Carry Awareness League was formed to help answer some of these questions and to spread the word to the public about this little known right.
    No, there's no limit to what you can carry. If you can legally own it you should be able to carry it. That said, the "OC Movement" as it's come to be known, is trying to win a war of hearts and minds in the effort to "normalize" the everyday carry of firearms. It's not illegal to strap an AK or AR across your back but considered bad form and a bit too extreme even among the mainstream OC groups.
    Good questions and the confusion comes from several sources. First are hunting laws which often limit the number of rounds you can have in your rile or shotty when stalking Bambi or Thumper. There is also confusion from other states where you aren't allowed to have a round chambered (Utah for example) or a magazine loaded in the pistol when Open Carrying (ie California). Here in La you can carry locked and loaded and it's limited only by the number of rounds your mag will hold. We don't have the 10rd limit that a few states have.
    Again, some confusion which usually comes from other states like Michigan or Wischonson where you can't carry in your car without a permit. Here in La you can carry your gun locked and loaded anywhere in the vehicle. Unlike some states, you don't have to have it unloaded and you don't have to keep it locked in the trunk or any of that. Carry it loaded and ready. You can keep it in your glovebox, under the seat, on the dashboard or duct taped to the ceiling if that's what you want to do. You don't need a permit to carry in your vehicle and you don't have to carry unloaded. I carry mine in it's holster on my hip most times.
    Actually the places of worship thing is something out of the CHP rules. There are no rules against Open Carry in houses of worship. A church or similar place is considered private property and like any other place you can carry openly there if the owner/ management doesn't have a problem with it. You can't carry inside the secure area of airports but the public terminals are OK. That said, the airport cops don't like it and in many cases will try to intimidate or harrass anyone carrying at an airport.
    THERE ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS! OK... No holster is required. Sure having your gun securly held in a decent holster is great but if you tuck it between your belt and your pants you are technically good to go. There are pistols which come with the metal clips mounted on the frame which are often used instead of a holster. Again, if you don't drape your shirt over it you should be fine. Personally I say a decent retention holster is the way to go. It prevents your gun from dropping out if you move a certain way and, Zeus forbid, some idiot trys to snatch your pistol, it makes it that much harder for the gun to be taken from you.

agian thanks and i know this is old but i dont wanna go to jail ya know, thanks in advance also with out being a dick NO INTERNET LAWYERS AWNSER THESE QUESTIONS UNLESS YOU OFFER THE SEVICE TO COME GET ME OUT OF JAIL LOL:mamoru:
    Nothing here is intended as legal advice. It is for informational purposes only.
    I invite you to view the following links which take you to the LA Open Carry Awareness League webforum. They will hep you answer some of your questions and give you more info than presented here.
    First check out -> http://www.laopencarry.org/how-do-i-know-open-carry-is-legal-in-louisiana-t73.html which covers some of the AG opinions and case laws regarding Open Carry. There's a copy of our trifold informational pamphlet you can download from there too.
    Next see-> http://www.laopencarry.org/frequently-asked-open-carry-questions-t75.html which covers many of the questions you may have.
    If you have any other questions or concerns I'd be glad to answer them.
    Thank you for reading.

Last edited:

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    I guesss I'll jump in here and help out.

Nothing here is intended as legal advice. It is for informational purposes only.
    I invite you to view the following links which take you to the LA Open Carry Awareness League webforum. They will hep you answer some of your questions and give you more info than presented here.
    First check out -> http://www.laopencarry.org/how-do-i-know-open-carry-is-legal-in-louisiana-t73.html which covers some of the AG opinions and case laws regarding Open Carry. There's a copy of our trifold informational pamphlet you can download from there too.
    Next see-> http://www.laopencarry.org/frequently-asked-open-carry-questions-t75.html which covers many of the questions you may have.
    If you have any other questions or concerns I'd be glad to answer them.
    Thank you for reading.

Best advice you could get!

Top Bottom