Old and Rusty Gun Parts

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrFelixx

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Watson, LA
    Hey all. I'm a BS noob, so if I break protocol somehow, please be patient.

My dad was a gunsmith back in 80's and early 90's. He passed away in 2010 and I've been trying to clean up some of his old stuff. All of his old gun parts were moved to a barn probably 10 years ago. They aren't really in good shape. A lot of the parts are rusty, some are still in decent condition. I don't even know what they all go to (Dad was the type who could look at it and tell what it went to, so he didn't really lable ANYTHING). I've got a 55 gallon drum FULL of old rusty gun barrels and receivers. Loose parts out the whazoo...

Most people would say, "Well, I need to look at them to tell if they're good for anything," and I totally get it.

My question: Is anybody actually interested in that kind of stuff? I mean, some of it may be salvagable, but most of it probably just scrap. Anybody have any ideas on who might be interested? I even thought that a local blacksmith might be interested in it just for the steel, but maybe not.

I just hate to scrap it all if some of it is still useful.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    If I were closer, I'd come and identify as much as I could for you and see if there was anything interesting to buy off you.

I'm sure plenty people will be curious enough.

Lay stuff out on an old blanket or towels (for contrast) and photograph them and slap them up. You'll reach the greatest number of eyes-and-brains that way and with decent enough pics, might get a good bit of info.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I can come out and get photos to put up here if you like. I'm not as knowledgeable as most on here so i couldnt immediatelt tell you what you had. But checking out parts that have been in a barn for 10 years sounds like a blast!

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Pictures of the treasures

Ok... here we go!

Made it out there with 4sooth yesterday. Another member was also there and we began looking around. These pictures are of about 75% of what he has. There are also about 20 additional pistols/pistol frames (1 or 2 smiths/colts among them). ALL of them need work and parts to function again. The ones pictured were outside for the past 10-15 years and it definitely shows.

I picked up the following from the pictures: Sears Roebuck 30-30 lever action, Stephens 12ga side-by-side, the two black powder pistols (spanish imports), and a 150mm ammo crate (I've got a thing for crates... so sue me).

Sorry to report there weren't any Browning 30cal or garand receivers sitting around in the lot, but it was a blast looking through this stuff. There are several parts in the shed, but I can't say what will still be available after the other member that was there makes his offer (gunsmith).

Without further ado:

This is the Sears Roebuck 30-30 I have. The lever was mostly seized up, but some PB Blaster got it loose in about 30 seconds (was surprised). Missing several parts, but this is the piece I'll be practicing the slow rust bluing on to prepare for doing my Winchester 94.

These are the two pistols I grabbed. That is a Mauser receiver that we also found the stock to (stock is in good shape).

Thank you, Jason for being a good sport about letting us pilfer through your stock. Hope these pictures help you move more of it out of there.

Last edited:

MrFelixx

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Watson, LA
    Thanks for taking and posting the pictures, Sugarbug! Enjoyed meeting you guys and digging through it all. Have fun with your "project pieces." Post some pictures as you go through the restorations. I would love to see them.

Top Bottom