Old knife makers

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lawncutterman

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    What happened to them, they didn't die out (well some might have) 10 years ago u used to see two or three at every gun show, now your lucky to see one

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    What happened to them, they didn't die out (well some might have) 10 years ago u used to see two or three at every gun show, now your lucky to see one
    I know after talking to some the market is just not there. You might see some hobbyist sell a few they made but most seem to prefer a cool taticool looking knife vs a handmade one that cost more.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I know after talking to some the market is just not there. You might see some hobbyist sell a few they made but most seem to prefer a cool taticool looking knife vs a handmade one that cost more.

That's true. Price is also a big factor. Your grandfather would have paid a premium for a good knife that would last him a lifetime. Now, people want cheap (mostly). And mass produced=cheap. There is little appreciation for a very well made tool aby longer.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    That's true. Price is also a big factor. Your grandfather would have paid a premium for a good knife that would last him a lifetime. Now, people want cheap (mostly). And mass produced=cheap. There is little appreciation for a very well made tool aby longer.

Yup. Knife makers about need to go online to find the small number of people who are willing to pay a little more for a quality product. Most people don't care unless it's cheap and tacticool.

If you are really interested in this stuff, check out bladeforums.... they have a custom knife makers section.

Last edited:

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    Ive done some work in prgress threads in the past. Kind of a follow along as I make a knife. Got a new project im getting material for coming up. Guess it is time to do another.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    So when you gonna show them to us?

I second the motion!

You make good stuff. We would like to see them.

Another suggestion for custom or non-routine knives is to look at https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/

One thing that amazed me is the money people will spend on ugly knives. You can set the search parameters to eliminate what you don't want to look at.

I have done business with them and been very pleased.

FRANKEIGHT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    new iberia
    Every time I have gone to the gun shows in Lasfayette I have seen usually 2 or 3 makers there, in fact I only go to shoot the breeze with them and to get some tips.I f you want to see an abundance of makers you need to go to the blade show in Atlanta which is held once a year at the beginning of June.

Top Bottom