"On one's person"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    One thing I've wondered is how is "on one's person" defined as far as concealed carrying goes? I know that without a permit you can't hide a weapon ON your body but does this apply to carrying a firearm inside a bag that you're carrying?

If I carry a gun does it itself have to be in plain view (holstered or in hand) or can it be inside its case or a backpack or something like that?

TowTruck

Jared
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Denham Springs
    if its not in plain sight its considered concealed. you can have it holstered and walk around like john wayne if you want to but guarantee you will be harrassed

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    So for instance, when walking from my car to my house I should technically have it out and carry it in my hand, and not in a bag or anything, correct?

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    if you're transporting the firearm (from your home to car, car to range and vice versa) it would be acceptible for it to be in a bag. your best bet is to call the state police office and ask them about vehicular transport of handguns.

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    if you're transporting the firearm (from your home to car, car to range and vice versa) it would be acceptible for it to be in a bag. your best bet is to call the state police office and ask them about vehicular transport of handguns.

Bingo. If you are going from your house to your car or your car to a range, you won't have a problem. It would be simple transport. However, don't walk around a mall like that. It's kind of like (non-Louisiana) transport of guns in your car. You can transport them for short trips (like to a range) inside the cab, but if you're going across the state you want to have them the furthest from the driver. However, Louisiana law states that your vehicle is an extension of your home and you can use the same elements for carry/concealment in your car (as well as personal protection) as you would for your dwelling. Dwelling does NOT mean land.

In sum;

Transporting your gun to your car in a bag from your house is ok. Doing the same (from car) to a range is ok, too.

Transporting your gun in a bag from your house to a mall is bad.

Transporting your gun in your car ANYWHERE (while in the great state of Louisiana) is ok.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Thanks y'all, glad to finally clear that up. :)

I'm glad I don't have to go gun-in-hand every dern time I get out of my car and go into my house. :D

Not sure which I hate more, not being 21 or that the law is like that in the first place.

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    if its not in plain sight its considered concealed. you can have it holstered and walk around like john wayne if you want to but guarantee you will be harrassed

Not true!

Occasionally, I open carry and have never been harassed. This includes openly carrying at restaurants, walking my dog, renting movies, shopping, etc. For the most part, I don’t think anyone notices and those that do either don’t care or assume I must be authorized.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I'm an LEO and I never open carry unless doing something where I'm required to do so (any time I'm in an office vehicle, basically). When you open carry, all your doing is telling the bad guy who to shoot first. I want suprise on my side as much as possible

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    I'm an LEO and I never open carry unless doing something where I'm required to do so (any time I'm in an office vehicle, basically). When you open carry, all your doing is telling the bad guy who to shoot first. I want suprise on my side as much as possible

I disagree. There are several reasons to open carry.

Last edited:

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Such as ??

Off the top of my head:
    - show of force (deters looting, etc.)
    - faster access compared to concealed carry (less likely to become entangled in clothing)
    - legal reasons (some places are off limits to concealed carry)
    - hunting
    - display of a quality firearm (dude, nice 1911!)
    - simply exercising our rights

These are just a few.

And yes, I realize there are situations where concealed carry would be more appropriate.

Y.T.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Central
    It never fails. This argument plagues gun forums. Let it be said now. In some areas it is perfectly normal to open carry and in other places it is not. There is no right or wrong answer to the question.

jphilp87

Glock
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Ascension
    I also am a LEO and I have to agree with Topgunz1. The idea behind "open carry" is about like putting yourself right in harms way.

The aspect of suprise may be the only thing going for you if you have to take care of business, so to speak. Why else do you carry the gun anyway? To protect yourself and others around you... You are no good to anyone if you are targeted first and put out of the fight.

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    I also am a LEO and I have to agree with Topgunz1. The idea behind "open carry" is about like putting yourself right in harms way.

The aspect of suprise may be the only thing going for you if you have to take care of business, so to speak. Why else do you carry the gun anyway? To protect yourself and others around you... You are no good to anyone if you are targeted first and put out of the fight.

Why do LEOs think they are the only people professional enough to open carry?
    glock_forty.jpg

For an individual, open carry can deter violence in the same way that the presence of armed guards can deter a bad guy from robbing a store. Please note: I fully concede that if the same bad guy is determined to rob the aforementioned store, he will most likely target the armed guards first. But if I were playing the odds of encountering a petty criminal that would be deterred by a gun vs. encountering a professional bad guy that would actively target me for open carry, I would choose the first situation.
    katrina067.jpg

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I see what you mean with regards to a deterrent effect, "if bad guy sees the gun he might not do what he was planning on doing" etc. its a valid point, but you also have to think, bad guy might see the gun, think your a cop and decide to pop you in the back of the head at the 7-11 just for the hell of it.

the schools of thought are too varied and the points are all valid... but like I said before, unless I'm required to have it visible, you'll never know its there.

hot shot

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville La
    I would assume (yea I know where that gets you) that in some areas of town open cary could very easily detear a crime from happening, where as in others it would make you a target.

Also the weapon you decide to carry may totally remove any thoughts of being a LEO. I guaranty If I walk in a store with my shotgun over my sholder I will not be mistaken for a LEO, however if I walked in with a nice paddle holster and a Glock, HK Sig etc on my side, that actually looks professional imo.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Transporting your gun to your car in a bag from your house is ok. Doing the same (from car) to a range is ok, too.

Not trying to argue, or even dispute that, but I am fairly versed in LA law (amatuer), and I am not aware of any specific stautory supprt for that assertion. (Unless you are on private, non commercial property from point A to B) Not saying you would get harassed (probably you would not in that specific case)- just pointing out technicalities. I agree with everything else.

Here is a list of all firearms related laws (according to LA Legislature):

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/search.asp?ALL=ALL&SearchString=firearms

If I am missing something, it should be in there.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Off the top of my head:
    - show of force (deters looting, etc.)
    - faster access compared to concealed carry (less likely to become entangled in clothing)
    - legal reasons (some places are off limits to concealed carry)
    - hunting
    - display of a quality firearm (dude, nice 1911!)
    - simply exercising our rights

These are just a few.

And yes, I realize there are situations where concealed carry would be more appropriate.

#1 reason to OC, IMHO- to get people aware of it's legality, and start conversations about GUNS! Many many people do not know they can OC, and there are still many that are unaware of the fact that they can get a CHP. Pretty good way to bring all those folks out of the woodwork and get to talking with them, I figure.

chibajoe

Pratertium terminus est
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    New Orleans
    Such as ??

I would think the biggest reason is that you can, since Louisiana is an open carry state. The more people who are aware of that fact, especially law enforcement, the better. The general public (especially the brainwashed yankees we seem to be seeing more and more of) needs to understand that most gun owners are NOT rabid fanatics, but perfectly reasonable, law abiding citizens. Another reason is that it would seem (based on anecdotal evidence from some threads on arfcom) that open carry is an effective deterrent; wether it is because the criminal thinks you are LE or because they don't want to risk confronting someone who can shoot back.

Top Bottom