One in the pipe...which is safer, trigger/grip safety or DA/SA with decocker?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paladin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Kenosha, WI
    I am just wondering what you experienced CCW people think. If I have two guns, say a CZ75B DA/SA with decocker and a Springfield XDM with a trigger/grip safety setup, which system would you consider safer for the carrier?

Not safer for the BG, just generally less likely to be mishandled and have something unplanned happen, say in the draw, or re-holstering, or just plain walking around?

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    I'm not a big fan of those trigger/grip safeties. Personally, I prefer a DA with decocker. Either setup is 99.999% safe from mechanical malfunction.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    One is not any more dangerous or safer than the other. As scooter posted, pick one and get comfortable with it. The DA/SA does mean that you have to learn to shoot with two triggers.

Shooters who put all the faith into the mechanical safeties are usually the ones to have NG at some point in there life. It is similar to ABS on automobiles. Before we had them, we made sure we weren't tailgating during bad weather. Now that we have ABS, we tend to get a bit more reckless with our driving believing that we have a "safety feature" to fall back on.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Get rid of that nickle plated sissy pistol and get yourself a Glock

it had to be said

FWIW...no safety on the gun...the safety is located between your ears

The very last thing I want on a carry gun is gadgets...no lights, no pointers...no heat seeking bullets...

One simple tool with just as few moving parts as possible, that can be cleaned every few years with commercial degreaser and panther ****...just a tad bit more complicated than a claw hammer.

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Several of us(BSers) were in a class this past weekend where all sorts of handgun configurations were present, probably everything but a 1911. Each of the fifteen students shot between 850 and 1,000 rounds. So call it 14,000 rounds downrange and not a single ND. And that was in intense self defense, draw from concealment, get fast hits on target scenarios. It has nothing to do with the gun. The safety switch is between your ears.

Last edited:

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    If you're asking this question, you have other issues you need to work on first.

My CCW has no manual safety whatsoever. What's rule #1 of gun handling?

Same here. I carry a PF9. My bedside gun is my Baby Eagle DA/SA in DA mode with safety off, same as when I attempted to carry it.

I like the finger safety best.

This. Best safety feature ever invented, and it was here from the beginning.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    One is not any more dangerous or safer than the other. As scooter posted, pick one and get comfortable with it. The DA/SA does mean that you have to learn to shoot with two triggers.

Shooters who put all the faith into the mechanical safeties are usually the ones to have NG at some point in there life. It is similar to ABS on automobiles. Before we had them, we made sure we weren't tailgating during bad weather. Now that we have ABS, we tend to get a bit more reckless with our driving believing that we have a "safety feature" to fall back on.

+1

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    images

"This is my safety, Sir"

bryken89

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Treat every weapon as if it were loaded and leave it on safe until you intend to shoot.to those of you whom leave the safety off, i hope you ND into your leg. Because thats just irresponsible stupidity.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Keep part A, away from part B until you have made a concious decition to destroy whatever is forward of the muzzle ............

DA/SA requires more training as it has 2 diferent trigger pulls and requires and extra step before reholstering (de-cock), the XD is an easier platform to work with but still has its own issues

Rabbit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2012
    Carencro, LA
    Treat every weapon as if it were loaded and leave it on safe until you intend to shoot.to those of you whom leave the safety off, i hope you ND into your leg. Because thats just irresponsible stupidity.

OP, all other posts in this thread are good points.... this one needs more help.

What ever you choose, you need to focus and stick with it until you can run it second nature. Then you can learn another platform while still training with your choice.

That said, I like Glock. I carried a pistol for a while ccw that had ambi-saftey / decocker.... Got tired of hitting my elbow on all the extra controls on it.... not to mention it wore holes in my shirts and cover garments faster. Slim and trim baby!! (ccw rig, not me :p )

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom