One more speeding ticket story

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cubsfan

Holy Cow!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Gretna, LA
    Ok. Another speeding ticket question. I got a speeding ticket in Jackson, MS a few weeks ago. First speeding ticket ever. I was driving through for work and have not been through there in many years. Anyway, a motorcycle officer pulled me over after following me for about two miles. He pulls me over and says he got me going 69 in a 60 with laser. I politely wait for ticket which he gives me. He was not friendly. I was doing about 65 or so yes I was speeding. I was using cruise control but i had to supplement it at times. I was moving with traffic and I was more concerned with watching for I-55 exits and people cutting me off than I was with my speedometer. Yes, I know this is not about public safey but rather revenue generation. Traffic was moving much faster around me; I was in a large van with out of state (LA) plates so I was a good target.

Here is my issue and where the question comes in. I was told to call the number at the bottom of the ticket before April 3. I called several days after I received it. I was told they didn't have my ticket and that I should wait awhile and call back. I waited and actually forgot about it for awhile. I called today and the lady on the phone told me they didn't have my ticket yet. She said I needed to pay it before April 3rd or I would have additional fees. I asked her what my options were. She said I had to pay with a money order because I was from out of state. She said they don't take online payments which is ridiculous these days. She also said I can't beat a speeding ticket so I should just pay, her exact words. Traffic court is only on Tuesday at 6p and Thursday at 3p. That was it. She quoted me a fine of $165.50. I tried to ask more questions and she pretty much told me that she had given me all the information and that I needed to hurry and pay the ticket.

What is the deal? Shouldn't they have my ticket by now? It smells fishy. If the ticket wasn't turned in, why should I pay it? What is a reasonable amount of time for the ticket writer to turn it in? Anyone have any info on this process? What should I do at this point?

By the way for anyone who doesn't know, Jackson, MS is one giant speed trap. There were flashing lights all over the place on my way back through. I think I counted 19 traffic stops in about 5 miles.

Moondew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    BR
    Heck look at this report about excessive fines in LA :eek3:

http://app1.lla.state.la.us/PublicReports.nsf/3F1E2F36EA7402D2862572F300630CC1/$FILE/00001155.pdf

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    ...a motorcycle officer pulled me over after following me for about two miles. He pulls me over and says he got me going 69 in a 60 with laser...

Last I heard, a laser had to be used from a stationary location.

Summit_Ace

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Ok. Another speeding ticket question. I got a speeding ticket in Jackson, MS a few weeks ago. First speeding ticket ever. I was driving through for work and have not been through there in many years. Anyway, a motorcycle officer pulled me over after following me for about two miles. He pulls me over and says he got me going 69 in a 60 with laser. I politely wait for ticket which he gives me. He was not friendly. I was doing about 65 or so yes I was speeding. I was using cruise control but i had to supplement it at times. I was moving with traffic and I was more concerned with watching for I-55 exits and people cutting me off than I was with my speedometer. Yes, I know this is not about public safey but rather revenue generation. Traffic was moving much faster around me; I was in a large van with out of state (LA) plates so I was a good target.

Here is my issue and where the question comes in. I was told to call the number at the bottom of the ticket before April 3. I called several days after I received it. I was told they didn't have my ticket and that I should wait awhile and call back. I waited and actually forgot about it for awhile. I called today and the lady on the phone told me they didn't have my ticket yet. She said I needed to pay it before April 3rd or I would have additional fees. I asked her what my options were. She said I had to pay with a money order because I was from out of state. She said they don't take online payments which is ridiculous these days. She also said I can't beat a speeding ticket so I should just pay, her exact words. Traffic court is only on Tuesday at 6p and Thursday at 3p. That was it. She quoted me a fine of $165.50. I tried to ask more questions and she pretty much told me that she had given me all the information and that I needed to hurry and pay the ticket.

What is the deal? Shouldn't they have my ticket by now? It smells fishy. If the ticket wasn't turned in, why should I pay it? What is a reasonable amount of time for the ticket writer to turn it in? Anyone have any info on this process? What should I do at this point?

By the way for anyone who doesn't know, Jackson, MS is one giant speed trap. There were flashing lights all over the place on my way back through. I think I counted 19 traffic stops in about 5 miles.

I don't know how it is in MS but I will take the opportunity to tell those who don't know about LA how it works here. When you get your ticket it makes its way to the "court clerk" of the town you got the ticket in. Keep in mind that in the state of LA, unlike other states, a traffic infraction is a CRIMINAL offense and covered under criminal code. If you should foolishly choose to fight the ticket, it then goes to the town "judge". It is important to point out that in most cases, if not all the "judge" is also the mayor. This , to me presents a "small" problem. For instance: in the town of Robeline, LA. the last study I read said the 85% of the town's entire revenue was obtained from traffic tickets. Yes, 85%! Let's think about that for a minute. The mayor of the town who is elected by the people by how well he manages the town and its money is also the "judge" who will decide your case. you being found guilty brings the town money and your innocence does nothing but cost them. If this is not a conflict of interest, I don't know what is.
    In any other criminal case the judge would have to recuse himself due to conflict of intrest. Yet this is allowed to go on in this state. I received a ticket in this town a while back and for giggles I called the town clerk to ask her what my rights were in defending my case. Keep in mind traffic ticket are covered under LA criminal code. The U.S. Constitution states:"In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defense." The key word there is all. Now some would say that it would be a waste of the "courts" time to have jury trials for speeding tickets. To that I ask, what other rights is it a waste of time to exercise? tyranny happens a little at a time and this is such a "small" example that we choose to let it pass to the tune of millions of dollars every year out of our pockets. When I spoke to the clerk I asked her(already pretty much knowing the answer)if I had the right o a jury trial. As expected the answer was no. The answer to my next question really bothered me. I asked, do I have the subpoena power of the court? She answered, well you can ask people to talk for you or something to that affect. I asked again and got pretty much the same answer.So basically the court would not compel people to testify on my behalf nor could I subpoena documents. Finally when she got flustered with my questions the real kicker came. She informed me that if I just payed the ticket they would not report it to my insurance. Now this is the dictionary definition of extortion, you tell me if it applies. ex·tor·tion (k-stôrshn)
    n.
    1. The act or an instance of extorting.
    2. Illegal use of one's official position or powers to obtain property, funds, or patronage.
    3. An excessive or exorbitant charge.
    4. Something extorted.

Bottom line is ticket are nothing but a money making scheme from by our government. and for those who say that it is a safety issue I say CRAP. No one can prove that a ticket ever prevented an accident or fatality. In 2001 the autobahn, that has 11,000 kilometers of road with no speed limit whatsoever had a 27% lower death rate than U.S. highways.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I got a ticket on a state hwy. near Chunky , Miss . The Highway Patrolman told me that he wasn't sure of the exact fine , but if I would mail $50 to the Judge in Chunky , that would probably take care of it . It did .

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    If I would make an effort to obey the speed limit, I could probably buy a new car by now. Maybe I'm over-exaggerating a little, but my point... I can't stand to drive slow.

Speed limits on interstates in Texas have increased, by the way.

tigertaylor1

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Houma, LA
    So I'm active duty Navy and got transferred from Florida out to San Diego despite all attemtps to stay in FL. Anyway I am driving out to Cali by myself in the middle of the night, 3 am actually through West Texas on I-10. The speed limit out here is actually 80 MPH during the day but drops to 65 mph at night (because of the deer).

I am just getting back on the interstate after getting raped for gas in the middle of nowhere and speed up to 75 and as I do that I see the prick sitting under the interstate. Sure enough he pulls out, now please understand that this is West Texas at 3 in the morning so traffic is far and few between. He pulls me over, and the usual bs follows. I tell him that I'm active duty in the middle of a transfer and he doesn't care. He writes me a 140.00 ticket for going 75 at 3 in the morning in the middle of nowhere the day after Memorial Day. I made sure that he knew that I had a Vortec Max 6.0 in my Denali as I threw rocks on his nice new Yukon to give him a real reason to pull me over next time. Junction, TX 2010

Last edited:

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    So I'm active duty Navy and got transferred from Florida out to San Diego despite all attemtps to stay in FL. Anyway I am driving out to Cali by myself in the middle of the night, 3 am actually through West Texas on I-10. The speed limit out here is actually 80 MPH during the day but drops to 65 mph at night (because of the deer).

I am just getting back on the interstate after getting raped for gas in the middle of nowhere and speed up to 75 and as I do that I see the prick sitting under the interstate. Sure enough he pulls out, now please understand that this is West Texas at 3 in the morning so traffic is far and few between. He pulls me over, and the usual bs follows. I tell him that I'm active duty in the middle of a transfer and he doesn't care. He writes me a 140.00 ticket for going 75 at 3 in the morning in the middle of nowhere the day after Memorial Day. I made sure that he knew that I had a Vortec Max 6.0 in my Denali as I threw rocks on his nice new Yukon to give him a real reason to pull me over next time. Junction, TX 2010

That's what you get for moving to California.

Think about it this way, he was getting you lubed up and prepared for what you can expect from California. You should have thanked him. It's never to late to send a card, or flowers.

tigertaylor1

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Houma, LA
    That's what you get for moving to California.

Think about it this way, he was getting you lubed up and prepared for what you can expect from California. You should have thanked him. It's never to late to send a card, or flowers.

I know right? Since that effed up night I have gotten 2 parking tickets over here (my wife has gotten one also). I am proud to say that I have no intention of paying them either, I'd rather just pay sales tax that's not rightfully theirs in the first place on guns I get shipped here UNLESS you buy from Pelican Firearms :mamoru:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE! ;)

Speed limits aren't necessarily because of traffic, road conditions also contribute to designated limits.

I average a speeding ticket about every three years. After twenty years I've had more than one, less than ten. I was speeding. Take it and go is much easier than getting pissed off when you're going to have to pay the thing anyway.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Find out if Mississippi has the equivalent to the Metropolitan Crime Commission here, and ask them what they think?

I'm thinking, if they say they don't have the ticket, don't pay it! Call them again, and record the conversation; if that person tells you again they don't have the ticket, I wouldn't worry about it.

FWIW: That is what I would do. You make your own decision.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    In Vinton the Mayor is the judge also...by day he drives a dump truck and by evening he's a judge. Only in America ?? Prolly not.

I keep telling him he needs a uniform with braid and some mirror avaiator glasses

The Vinton speed cop is in the Market Basket store every day buying a big box of chicken and a 4 gallon coke on his way to the speed trap on I 10...or as I call it pik-nik-n

Hillarious...and we don't b stoppin no local traffic on the big road.

Top Bottom