One Second After

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shwane

Motivator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Youngsville, LA
    I picked up this book the other day. It written by William R. Forstchen. Its about EMPs and the scenario of what could possibly happen right after. It got me to thinking very hard about my doomsday kit. Even more so if you have children. You all should read it, it's very good.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    The advantage of having at least one vehicle that is unaffected by such events is that I can get to where I need to be while all the priuses are stuck trying to get to whole foods lol

Where'd you get it at? I'm always looking for reading material at work

Last edited:

sonanth

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    New Iberia, LA
    I watched something on Netflix about the whole nuclear weapons thing, titled something Trinity:blah blah. Damn, we did some polluting testing the 300 plus nuclear/thermonuclear bombs. Shame on us.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I read it this year also, very good book but also very eye opening..

~B~

This. Very good work of fiction, but at the same time raises some issues I hadn't thought about before. Even with a different diaster (not an EMP), a lot of the societal and psychological aspects would apply and are very thought provoking.

eagle359

AARP Newbie
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Terrytown, LA
    I read it last year. It was the first fiction book I had read in ten years or so. I thought it was first rate. It also made me want to stock up on .22LR ammo.

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    Very good book, and an eye opener. Prompted me to step up on food storage. Also made me consider what will happen in the big city across the river when/if all outside support stops. Things will get primative real fast.

4sooth

enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Just finished reading it--horrific and could happen. Brings up many things one might want to stockpile as well as "attitudes and thought processes". Tappan was right--a retreat needs to be VERY far from any major city and somewhat difficult to get to. TOTAL self sufficiency is required to outlast such a scenario as depicted in the book. If you or any member of your family depend on meds to stay alive, then the chance of living away from civilization is nil. Especially so if the meds need refrigeration or you cannot stockpile at least a two year supply. One of my best friends admits he would not last a month since he is on kidney stabilizing drugs which he has to take every day. After 48-72 hours his kidneys begin failing if he does not take the drug. For those who have not read the book--I highly recommend it. You will never think about survival the same way again.

senseiturtle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2007
    South Carolina
    I watched something on Netflix about the whole nuclear weapons thing, titled something Trinity:blah blah. Damn, we did some polluting testing the 300 plus nuclear/thermonuclear bombs. Shame on us.

900+ On US soil that we know about.
    Another few hundred or so at sea.

Sorry to be nit-picky, but I got a real kick out of the false japanese panic.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I heard that the testing of H-Bombs ceased because something unexpected was happening, the atmosphere itself was igniting. It was completely unexpected and was not predicted by the laws of Physics.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    downloaded the audio book and listened to it. Very unnerving... :eek3: I won't look at The Road Warrior the same way ever again.

Top Bottom