Open carry agitation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjh

hello???
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 25, 2007
    Covington, La
    I just have a simple question I was talking with a few friends on couple of other forums and we came to the conclusion that this was a kinda taboo topic but I thought I'd ask here. I was wondering why there is always flaming of the open carry people. This is not directed at this board alone I am a member of many pro 2a boards and this seems o be the norm across the board. I am just wondering why there seems to be so much hostility toward people that are gun lovers but don't want to have to conceal there firearm? Why does everyone get so upset about it? Btw Im speaking of people other then MEM and his loyal followers

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I would personally like Yale to give his impression of why he believes or does not believe many hate OC since he is an avid OC'er.

i will say this. For myself, and probably a few others, it is not that we hate the actual act of OC as a right, it is that locally, many of those that choose to do this view it as a social or political statement.

I believe it is a right and should be freely exercised, but not as an agent of spite, because then it brings negative attention on guns in general in an already volatile environment towards the subject.

i would like to see all gun owners, regardless of preference of carry be good ambassadors to the uneducated.

Now, we all do hate MEM, in all of his forms. That I think is mostly universal.

LSUh20fowler

In the woods
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Vidrine,LA
    I would personally like Yale to give his impression of why he believes or does not believe many hate OC since he is an avid OC'er.

i will say this. For myself, and probably a few others, it is not that we hate the actual act of OC as a right, it is that locally, many of those that choose to do this view it as a social or political statement.

I believe it is a right and should be freely exercised, but not as an agent of spite, because then it brings negative attention on guns in general in an already volatile environment towards the subject.

i would like to see all gun owners, regardless of preference of carry be good ambassadors to the uneducated.

Now, we all do hate MEM, in all of his forms. That I think is mostly universal.

Couldn't agree more. If you want to OC, good, but don't do it to draw attention or try to get the cops to give you a hard time so you can set them straight.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    ^^^^+1

I think Nolacop has it. Most people on forums that OC do it for the attention and for the hostile interaction. 'Its my right and I'm gonna do it!' comes across very childish. Instead it draws unwanted attention, then they whine about it after. Imagine walking into a walmart with an AK slung. Yes its legal, but don't complain when you end up on the pavement. It should be expected.
    There are times when I've OC'd. Post Katrina checking my flooded house in a deserted neighborhood. Scouting land off a dirt road. Doing inspections in bad neighborhoods before there were CCW's as an option (or if the neighborhood is bad enough even w/ a ccw!). When my CCW expired and I wanted to go legally armed, it was nice to have the option.
    I don't enjoy negative interactions. I don't want to be the subject of a police callout either (they have enough to do w/ real criminals).

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Many people OC "because they can." It's their "Political Statement."

All that translates to me is "Look everyone, I have a gun! I am now better than all of you sheeple who don't have a gun. I like to be the center of attention. My gun is better that that cop's over there. I'm going to go over there and show that JBT I have a gun."

Does everyone that OCs have that attitude, probably not. But some do.

Do I open carry, no, I don't have to. I can carry concealed.

JR1572

Last edited:

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Some individuals bring attention to themselves. "Look at me. I have a Gun." They come off as Morons with a gun which scares the hell out of soccer moms and the general public. These people are not inconspicious and give all responsible gun owners a bad name.

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Some individuals bring attention to themselves. "Look at me. I have a Gun." They come off as Morons with a gun which scares the hell out of soccer moms and the general public. These people are not inconspicious and give all responsible gun owners a bad name.

Preach on brother, preach on.

JR1572

DesmoDucRob

#1 Dad
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Folks don't get irritated at those who OC, they get irritated with idiots. You can give an arrogant idiot a push-broom or a Glock, and he's still an arrogant idiot. I believe, but cannot prove that those who chose to OC are viewed with significant scrutiny by the public (Pro-2a, anti-2a etc.) and they owe it to those who they represent to give a little attention to their behavior and appearance.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    What I don't understand is the fact these people are willing to give up the element of surprise and/or advertising themselves as a target. What I mean is, if ever in an environment where defense becomes necessary and the offender has already seen your weapon prior to becoming aggressive because you are OC'ing, you are taken out first! I know if I was a criminal that would be my strategy.

I learned a long time ago that a low profile is best.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    What I don't understand is the fact these people are willing to give up the element of surprise and/or advertising themselves as a target. What I mean is, if ever in an environment where defense becomes necessary and the offender has already seen your weapon prior to becoming aggressive because you are OC'ing, you are taken out first! I know if I was a criminal that would be my strategy.

I learned a long time ago that a low profile is best.

I think that argument could be easily be countered.

It could be argued that open-carrying deterring would-be criminals from acting. Bullies, criminals, etc, tend to prey on the weak. You could say the same for someone who works out a lot and wears tight t-shirts. Wouldn't the criminal want to kill him first? At the same time, the buff guy probably isn't going to get as much trouble from a criminal.

Also, most criminals aren't half as smart as you are, and very likely do not have the word "strategy" in their vocabulary.

I don't really take a side in this though. . . it's more preference and situation dependent.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    So, the smart money is that if you're going to OC then CCW also. That way if they get your OC gun you still have a backup.

Getting off on a slightly different tangent... Does wearing a pro-gun t-shirt (like bs.com) put you in the same situation as OC'ing? I'd be hesitant to wear that shirt and not carry. I try to keep it for range trips, gun shows, and trips to my daughter's school... just to get a rise out of the admin!

Mel, I'd really like to see some more stealthy bs.com shirts. Maybe a polo with just an emblem on the pocket area? Something that doesn't scream progun from across the room but other 2a supporters will recognize...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom