Open Carry AND Concealed Carry at the same time?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    What are the advantages and disadvantages of Open Carry AND Concealed Carry at the same time?

There are plenty threads on OC vs CC. How about BOTH?

When I am Open Carrying, which is rare and only in certain circumstances, I also am Concealed Carrying. My Back-Up gun is always concealed.
    Also, when I open carry a long gun, I also have a handgun concealed. This is typically both of my CC handguns or just the BUG.

Does this help negate some of the Open Carry disadvantages in your opinion?
    Does this help negate some of the Concealed Carry disadvantages in your opinion?

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I am sure we can all come up with hypothetical situations that can tilt the argument either way. Bottom line is carry however works best for your current situation and lifestyle. Keep your head on a swivel and expect the unexpected.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    coke%20and%20popcorn.gif

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Having a gun open carried negates the benefits of having one concealed.
    I do not believe there are any benefits to open carry that I can presently call to mind as most people with an OC holster seem to complicate the drawstroke with a 18 point retention system anyways, but if you use your concealed gun in lieu of your OC gun, you negate any /possible/ benefits of an easier draw.

So yea, you're basically eating the down sides of both situations, and gaining no benefits.

That's about all the thought I even care to give to the question. I'll leave the in-depth hypothesizing to the armchair quarterbacks.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Don't you think some of the gunmen of the old west had a concealed gun along with their openly-carried gun?

Don't you think there were good reasons for doing that?

Wouldn't some of those reasons apply today?

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I am sure we can all come up with hypothetical situations that can tilt the argument either way. Bottom line is carry however works best for your current situation and lifestyle.*** Keep your head on a swivel and expect the unexpected***.
    And rack a fresh round "hehe"

rocketsteve

Florida Cracker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Nowhere
    In the "Old West" days, with gunfights erupting over things such as card games gone bad or any number of other reasons, a concealed handgun might render the carrier a slight tactical advantage if he is disarmed of his primary OC firearm. Theoretically, the aggressor would think that the victim was successfully disarmed and he might be inclined to let his guard down, thereby opening an opportunity for the victim to attack with his CC firearm.

In this scenario, I personally believe neither individual would have much of a chance leaving this situation unscathed and/or alive. I think the same is true today. If an attacker is close enough to disarm you, the odds of you surviving the encounter decreases exponentially.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Im curious about the "open carrying a long gun" statement. You walk around with an AK strapped on your back, just because?

I have a project planned to make a scabbard for a folding AK47 that would be carried on you back. Just a because I can kind of project. Probably will need a 10 round, maybe 20 round mag for it to work, but can carry plenty of extra 30 rounders on the scabbard.

I have OC'd a rifle, in the woods and after a hurricane... I was not the only one.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Im curious about the "open carrying a long gun" statement. You walk around with an AK strapped on your back, just because?

I carry a long gun for the same reasons and in the same situations as most people do. I was correlating OC of a long gun with OC of a pistol for the sake of this discussion.

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    I "always" cc. In some instances I open carry also, but I still cc along with it. I open carry while hunting for example or at the range. and sometimes around my home or yard. I still have My .380 tucked away out of sight.

gunlaw91

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    The obvious disadvantage is that you lose the element of surprise when you ccw.
    The obvious advantage is that if something should happen to your OC firearm, you're the only one who knows you have a backup.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    You're also slaughtering the English language. Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest, but seriously, LA has no limit on how many guns you may carry and legally carrying one in one way doesn't make it illegal to carry more in another way.

Top Bottom