Open Carry At Parades

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I don't want to wear a sidearm while watching parades, but I'd like to know if I'm breaking the law by wearing a sidearm while walking to and from my vehicle parked in the hood to the apartment I rented along the parade route? This isn't concealed carry - it's open carry. I know concealed is illegal. What anout open?

petingrass

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    New Orleans area
    Better go ahead and get a bailbondsman on speed dial. There's no way you're notgetting arrested, legal or not. If I recall correctly, the relevant statutes reference possession.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Better go ahead and get a bailbondsman on speed dial. There's no way you're notgetting arrested, legal or not. If I recall correctly, the relevant statutes reference possession.

The only one I've seen specifically references concealed carry. If someone can find one that refers to open carry I'd like to see it. I have neither the free time nor the free cash to pursue a licence, so I'd like to know about open carry. The St. Charles parade route is the best place to see parades in New Orleans, but the neighborhood behind it is where a lot of murders occur.

I'm not interested in making a political point about my freedoms. I just want to protect my family.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I remember seeing/hearing somewhere that you have to be 1000 feet away from the parade route. I need to find the link/source though.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I remember seeing/hearing somewhere that you have to be 1000 feet away from the parade route. I need to find the link/source though.

Before I started this thread I spent about 45 minutes searching the site for it and was unsuccessful. I was a bit surprised that the question had not already been answered.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I think this may apply:

Sec. 54-342. Illegal possession of weapons at demonstrations.permanent link to this piece of content

(a)
    It shall be unlawful for any person, other than a law enforcement officer, to have in his possession or to have in any vehicle any weapon while participating in or attending a demonstration being held at a public place.
    (b)
    It shall be unlawful for any person, other than a law enforcement officer, to have in his possession or to have in any vehicle at a point within 1,000 feet of a demonstration at a public place any weapon after having first been advised by a law enforcement officer that a demonstration was taking place at a public place and after having been ordered by such officer to remove himself from the proscribed area until such time as he no longer is in possession of any weapon. This section shall not apply to any person in possession of any weapon in his private dwelling or place of business.
    (c)
    The following words, terms and phrases, when used in this section, shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this subsection, except where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:
    (1)
    Demonstration shall mean two or more persons assembled together for the purpose of picketing, speechmaking, marching, holding vigils, or other such form of conduct, which has the effect, intent or propensity to draw a crowd or onlookers.
    (2)
    Law enforcement officer shall mean any duly appointed and acting federal, state, or local peace officer and any military or militia personnel called out or directed by constituted authority to keep the law and order provided that the law enforcement officer is on duty and present to actively police and control the demonstration and who is assigned this duty by his department or agency.
    (3)
    Weapons shall mean any pistol, rifle, shotgun or other firearms of any kind whether loaded or unloaded, air rifle, air pistol, knife, hatchet, ax, slingshot, blackjack, metal knuckles, mace, iron buckle, baseball bat, ax handle, chains, crowbar, hammer or other club or bludgeon or any other instrumentality, customarily used or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon.

This ordinance can be found here:
    http://library.municode.com/HTML/10040/level4/PTIICO_CH54CRCO_ARTVIOFAFPUGE_DIV2OFAGPUSAWE.html#PTIICO_CH54CRCO_ARTVIOFAFPUGE_DIV2OFAGPUSAWE_S54-342ILPOWEDE

Looks to me that a Mardi Gras parade would fit the definition of a demonstration. But I am not a lawyer.
    Let us know if you carried or not.

skyracer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    I think the legislature should address the "at" and "in" a parade issue. Sometimes the neighborhoods behind parade routes are very dangerous and walking back to one's car at night can be risky. I wonder why our legislature won't give us a few more rights to protect our families, particularly for the law abiding citizens. Louisiana's citizens are under the false impression that this is a gun friendly state. That is non sense. We have more freedoms than New York, but for such a conservative leaning state, we still have a long way to go.

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    If your so concerned about safty, just stay home. you know your going to a bad area. You know your parking in a bad area. You know there will be thieves and drunks around. Safest thing to do is just stay home....

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Better go ahead and get a bailbondsman on speed dial. There's no way you're not getting arrested, legal or not. If I recall correctly, the relevant statutes reference possession.

Yep...my thoughts exactly. You might as well carry it concealed and that way...there's at least a chance of not getting arrested. I promise...open carrying in the crowd means someone tells the cops. Cops arrest you and Judge sorts it out.

And also agree...if its a family/safety issue....then take them to Metry. Otherwise, stick to the Napoleon Ave and St Charles are for Uptown routes if you must go to New Orleans parades and want to take family. Its a risk / reward thing IMO.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    If your so concerned about safty, just stay home. you know your going to a bad area. You know your parking in a bad area. You know there will be thieves and drunks around. Safest thing to do is just stay home....

THIS!

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    There's what the law says... and then there's what the officers standing on every corner think the law says... its the latter of the two that will apply and you're going to jail if they see it.

I'm assuming you're going to someone's home on St Charles. Tell your buddy to get on the roof with a scoped rifle and cover you for the walk from your car! Otherwise go to the Metairie parades.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Let's face it people.

The Metairie parades suck donkey balls. I'd rather go to Chuckie Cheese than go to a dull Metairie parade - and you wouldn't catch me dead in a Chuckie Cheese.

rocketsteve

Florida Cracker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Nowhere
    Well, given your personal appraisal of the Metairie parades and given the almost 100% certainty that you'd be arrested if you OC on the St. Charles parade route, I also think you should stay home if your family's safety is a concern...

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I wouldn't "open carry" either parades - NOLA or Metairie.
    However, I would attend both with my normal routine!

As it turns out I spoke with a couple cops on the route on St. Charles, and they both concurred that it is strictly illegal to carry open or concealed. That answers my question. I'll just have to come up with a solution that takes this into account yet still allows allows me to take my family to Mardi Gras.

20 years ago when the Metairie parades followed Metairie Road they had some genius loci, but since they switched to Veterans Highway they have become what they would be if Omaha, Nebraska were to put on a Mardi Gras. Probably the best word to descride it is , "toast". Dry, Bunny Bread toast.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    As it turns out I spoke with a couple cops on the route on St. Charles, and they both concurred that it is strictly illegal to carry open or concealed. That answers my question. I'll just have to come up with a solution that takes this into account yet still allows allows me to take my family to Mardi Gras.

20 years ago when the Metairie parades followed Metairie Road they had some genius loci, but since they switched to Veterans Highway they have become what they would be if Omaha, Nebraska were to put on a Mardi Gras. Probably the best word to descride it is , "toast". Dry, Bunny Bread toast.

It's been way more than 20 years since there was a Mardi Gras parade on Metairie Rd.

But anyway... how about you take your family to the range instead of a parade? I'll go with you and throw beads at you and show you my boobs. You get the parade atmosphere and your get to carry your piece... you could even shoot it too.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    It's been way more than 20 years since there was a Mardi Gras parade on Metairie Rd.

But anyway... how about you take your family to the range instead of a parade? I'll go with you and throw beads at you and show you my boobs. You get the parade atmosphere and your get to carry your piece... you could even shoot it too.

Because my family has lived in the Greater New Orleans Area for almost 200 years, and I want my children to experience Carnival in the same spots where my great, great grandparents did. I want to be able to instill in them an appreciation for their past and the traditions that go with their membership in such an old and storied family and city.

Top Bottom