Open carry encounter w police done right

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brian22

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Lafayette
    This officer was very professional, especially with the type of weapon this guy was carrying (looks like an MP5). The kids were obviously looking for a "gotcha" by carrying something that looks like a full-auto in public, along w/ their cameras; the officer handled it perfectly IMO.

[video]http://www.liveleak.com//view?i=589_1345502474[/video]

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    ...sigh...thank God for Officers like that.

Can someone help me get the Officers name and Department.

I'm definitely writing them on behalf of the Officers Professionalism.

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    Strapping on a gsg-5 and walking around is not a good way to further the cause imo. Would have been pretty funny if he had a real one and the required documents just to see how the officer would have run with that. Not advocating just curious.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    He did great! Wouldn't it be nice of all officers were as knowledgeable and professional as he was about firearms. I have never been pulled over while carrying so I can't say that I have had a bad encounter but I dread the day. My luck I would be stopped by some rookie or anti-2A officer.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Idiot's lucky he wasn't prone'd out on the sidewalk from an officer who wasn't in the mood / wasn't fully aware of that state's gun laws. OC of a handgun shouldn't draw as much attention as it does, but there's only one reason you stand on a street corner with an MP5 clone: to be an ass.

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    I wish all cops were like this. I was stopped in Sorrento and the officer took my handgun and told me I could pick it up at the police station the following day. It took 2 days and 3 trips to sorrento to get it back.

erazir

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Ive seen that kid in other videos before. I think the officer did a great job and really handled the situation well. I wouldnt have been as patient.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    The professionalism of the officer was commendable, to say the very least- and he sounds like a gun guy, to boot.

Good job. :bravo:

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    My first impression is that the kid was a little douche looking for trouble, and the officer handled the situation very professionally.

Upon further reflection, this kid (and those like him), are really taking one for the team. I can't say I advocate the behavior, and it may not be the best way of going about changing mindsets. However, I am starting to give a little more respect to these people who seem sincere in their desire to exercise, and thus preserve, our 2d amendment rights.

Also, I think the officer was actually wrong in at least one sense. Knowing that the firearm looks like a fully automatic firearm is not reasonable suspicion that a crime has been committed. Did he have a reasonable suspicion that it was fully auto AND that the kid didn't have the proper paperwork on him?

I have no problem at all with the initial contact and asking "what you guys up to?" But when the kid answers "I'm just taking a walk and exercising my 2d amendment rights", that should have been the end of it. Depending on the answer to the question, the officer can evaluate if there's potential trouble and/or reason to question further, and in this case it really is obvious that it was not. And as I said above, he really had no reason to inspect the firearm.

Top Bottom