Open Carry experience at BJ Pawn

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LouisianaRebel

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    yonder
    Today I figured I would try open carrying since im not old enough to CC.
    I put on my XD9 and my Hume owb holster and went to town.
    I had to drop my moms computer off at computer heaven in br, no one said anything and only a few customers looked at me weird but i am kinda ugly so thats understood.

Then i went to Pelican Pawn real quick to look for some ammo but they didnt have it, no one saw me.
    So i go to BJ pawn and get the old guy to get me some .243 ammo and he sees my pistol as i walk back across the store then the crap starts.

He told me "I am too young to carry a pistol and I could get in serious trouble if someone feels threatened by me and the cops could take my gun."

All this across the store with everyone in there looking at me.

I tell him its 18 to have a pistol and its legal to open carry and i've never heard of what he is talking about.

So i just say thanks, pay, and leave.

Around 4 months ago i was going to buy a AR15 and he said it was illegal for me to buy a gun with a pistol grip and telescoping stock.

Im tired of the miss information they give me there, if there wasn't internet i would be ignorant of the truth about everything they told me.

BayouDude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Terrebonne Parish
    RS 14:95.8

§95.8. Illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile

A. It is unlawful for any person who has not attained the age of seventeen years knowingly to possess any handgun on his person. Any person possessing any handgun in violation of this Section commits the offense of illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile.

B.(1) On a first conviction, the offender shall be fined not more than one hundred dollars and imprisoned for not less than ninety days and not more than six months.

(2) On a second conviction, the offender shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars and imprisoned with or without hard labor for not more than two years.

(3) On a third or subsequent conviction, the offender shall be fined not more than one thousand dollars and imprisoned at hard labor for not more than five years.

(4) A juvenile adjudicated delinquent under this Section, having been previously found guilty or adjudicated delinquent for any crime of violence as defined by R.S. 14:2(B), or attempt or conspiracy to commit any such offense, shall upon a first or subsequent conviction be fined not less than five hundred dollars and not more than one thousand dollars and shall be imprisoned with or without hard labor for not less than six months and not more than five years. At least ninety days shall be served without benefit of probation, parole, or suspension of sentence.

C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to any person under the age of seventeen years who is:

(1) Attending a hunter's safety course or a firearms safety course.

(2) Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm or target shooting at an established range.

(3) Hunting or trapping pursuant to a valid license issued to him pursuant to the laws of this state.

(4) Traveling to or from any activity described in Paragraph (1), (2), or (3) of this Subsection while in possession of an unloaded gun.

(5) On real property with the permission of his parent or legal guardian and with the permission of the owner or lessee of the property.

(6) At such person's residence and who, with the permission of such person's parent or legal guardian, possesses a handgun.

(7) Possessing a handgun with the written permission of such person's parent or legal guardian; provided that such person carries on his person a copy of such written permission.

D. For the purposes of this Section "handgun" means a firearm as defined in R.S. 14:37.2, provided however, that the barrel length shall not exceed twelve inches.

Acts 1999, No. 1218, §1

Maybe you should bring them a copy of the LA revised statute to prevent any further harassment. Being under the age of 21 you will encounter even more BS than normal. Gotta love the logic in a law allowing someone to have something that you are not yet old enough to buy yourself.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Im tired of the miss information they give me there, if there wasn't internet i would be ignorant of the truth about everything they told me.

America has been heading into the wall for a 75 years, the information overload provided by the internet has woke people up to find a driver asleep at the wheel.

Same applies for Gun laws. Older folks that are running these stores have been believing in the same lies since the invention of Cop shows on TV. Ask non gun enthusiast about some law questions and your sure to get the same ignorant answers as this guy gave. If Law & Order says it’s illegal, than it must be right?

One day In my local gun shop I mentioned to the guy behind the counter about the Shroud on the GSG5’s looking pretty real. He laughed and said yea but they’re not real b/c silencers are illegal. I said huh? He said, yea man I’d love to have a gun with a real silencer but that’s stuff’s highly illegal. I said who told you that? He says, *Enter Name Here* from Leesville Police Department.
    I shook my head, and just chuckled. Then I gave him a BS.com card and told him to register and ask questions.

LouisianaRebel

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    yonder
    I think he was saying open carrying is brandishing... I didn't want to drag it out with him because he has never been very nice to me when i go there but i still go since its close.

sylvest

Come and Take It
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Denham Springs
    he is a personal friend of mine. he isnt saying it is illegal. he isnt saying oc is brandishing. he is saying that the wrong cop on the wrong day could arrest you. wisen up...you dont have to break the law to get arrested. and correct me if im wrong..but you have to be 21 to buy an ar across the counter in a store.

as mem knows well: you will start **** when you oc. so dont do it, or get used to the hassle. butch is not oblivious to the law.....he is telling you what they may do to you.

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    he is a personal friend of mine. he isnt saying it is illegal. he isnt saying oc is brandishing. he is saying that the wrong cop on the wrong day could arrest you. wisen up...you dont have to break the law to get arrested. and correct me if im wrong..but you have to be 21 to buy an ar across the counter in a store.

as mem knows well: you will start **** when you oc. so dont do it, or get used to the hassle. butch is not oblivious to the law.....he is telling you what they may do to you.

why would you have to be 21? it is a rifle. 21 to buy handguns, 18 to buy rifles.....

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Indeed. There's more to carrying a gun than threading the belt through the belt loops and the holster. You have to have a conscious change of mindset and awareness. Without that, your very own gun could become a liability.

Hopefully, you have considered all the parts of your life that are impacted by carrying a gun. ESPECIALLY Open Carry. That just seems like an everyday uphill battle.

LouisianaRebel

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    yonder

I can't concealedcarry so what am i supposed to do? :(
    I smile and say hey to everyone that makes eye contact. I look like your average person wearing jeans and work boots. I've been in bad situations before with people trying to shoot at me so i know kinda how it feels. I'm prepared to protect myself.
    The way he said it was different than how you put it. He was acting like i could get my gun taken and arrested just for open carrying being 20. I've never open carried anywhere other than the truck stop down the road before, i figured he would be open to it since it is a gun store.

I got my Spikes Ar sent to jims and they didn't say anything about 21 so I figured he was wrong to tell me that.

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA

Since you apparently know what the store owner meant, how do you explain his antidote "you are too young to carry a pistol?"

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I can't concealedcarry so what am i supposed to do? :(
    The way he said it was different than how you put it. He was acting like i could get my gun taken and arrested just for open carrying being 20. I've never open carried anywhere other than the truck stop down the road before, i figured he would be open to it since it is a gun store.

I got my Spikes Ar sent to jims and they didn't say anything about 21 so I figured he was wrong to tell me that.

I understand your dilemma what with being too young to CC. I can't answer that part, but you have to understand that in the world we live in guns produce a negative vibe amongst the soccer moms and hipsters. When you decide to open carry, like it or not all it takes is one scared person to call the cops and they WILL take the gun off your belt and check things out. It's their job.

I don't know if the guy at BJ's was attempting to give you some advice and just had a rough delivery. But there is some truth buried in his statement. You CAN get hassled by the police for open carrying. It's part of the game. Like it or not.

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    Your problem is the same as my wife's, you give money to people who treat you poorly. If someone called me out, I would have informed them politely that their actions have caused them to lose out, then leave.

LouisianaRebel

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    yonder
    I understand your dilemma what with being too young to CC. I can't answer that part, but you have to understand that in the world we live in guns produce a negative vibe amongst the soccer moms and hipsters. When you decide to open carry, like it or not all it takes is one scared person to call the cops and they WILL take the gun off your belt and check things out. It's their job.

I don't know if the guy at BJ's was attempting to give you some advice and just had a rough delivery. But there is some truth buried in his statement. You CAN get hassled by the police for open carrying. It's part of the game. Like it or not.
    I count down the days until im 21 so i can get my stuff done to get my permit, unlike my friends who want to buy beer. :rolleyes:

I talked to a LP Sheriff about open carrying and he said they frown upon it because people freak out about it and make them come check it out. He said they would come ask questions and see who you are and that's about it.

I hope i just heard him wrong and he was just trying to give me some advice because I enjoy that place but I don't feel comfortable going back now...

LouisianaRebel

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    yonder
    Hey Rebel
    I hope you don't have that same picture on your vehicle as your avtar?
    Here in LP that could get you hassled worse than simply an open carry!LOL:D

I have worse. :D
    l_4c7eeb036cbe4190921c60a9d60fc773.jpg

legg86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Tickfaw, LA
    Lol Rebel,
    I understand how you feel man, I'm just 23 myself, and I open carried a few times at 20. You will get stopped by cops, and they Will ask you questions and run the numbers on your gun. When an idiot tells you the wrong law, just smile and say "thank yo, I have a different understanding of the law" and go about your business.

Remember that your actions when you OC reflect all of us CC'ing and gun owners in general, so be polite, professional, and tactful AT ALL TIMES, regardless of how mad you are or how crazy some dumbass is being. That thing on your hip out for the whole world to see is your right, and your liability. For as long as you OC, cops are going to be all over you, but they arent trying to harrass you, just trying to keep everyone safe. Remember that and be as cooperative as possible, even going beyond your responsibilities because it makes their job easier and your life better :)

Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA

1) That wrong cop may end up buying somoene a motorcycle.
    2) ******** on being 21 to buy an AR. That might be the policy at Academy or some other large chain, but it is NOT LAW.
    3) It's not Butch's damn business if someone else is OC'ing and it's not his place to tell anyone anything about it. If it made him uncomfortable, he should have asked the guy to leave the premises.

Hell, I'm half tempted go open carry in there now just for kicks.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Remember that your actions when you OC reflect all of us CC'ing and gun owners in general, so be polite, professional, and tactful AT ALL TIMES, regardless of how mad you are or how crazy some dumbass is being. That thing on your hip out for the whole world to see is your right, and your liability. For as long as you OC, cops are going to be all over you, but they arent trying to harrass you, just trying to keep everyone safe. Remember that and be as cooperative as possible, even going beyond your responsibilities because it makes their job easier and your life better :)

OC day at BJ pawn?

:confused:

Top Bottom