Open Carry in NO. Need help.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • St.Francisville

Hardheaded Young'n
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Wilson, LA
    Hey guys,I need a little bit of info. I'm going down to visit my maw maw at Tulane where she's recovering from a liver transplant. I know I can't OC in the hospital, but my mom wants to go walking around while the rest of the family watches football. So, we'll be walking around the area surrounding the hospital. I need to know what I need to be wary of when OCing in that general area. School zones and such. Not OCing isn't an option either. I will not be caught anywhere near the Big Nasty without a way to protect myself, and seeing as I'm under 21; I can't CC.
    Thanks in advance for the help.

And please, please don't turn this into a flamewar, OC/CC debate, or a big argument. I'm just looking for a little help.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    You can definelty expect the attention from both civilians and LE, as long as you know the areas that are permited and you respect the wish of business owners that would rather have you off their property, you shouldnt have major issues.

Keep in mind not all LEO's know the fact that it is legall so you might have some explaining to do, I would try to be as professional as possible if you do happen to encounter any kind of problems, keep in mind that there is an entire group that you are representing not only yourself, one bad apple and they are all bad apples.

I hope its a good trip and a good visit, let us know how it goes.

St.Francisville

Hardheaded Young'n
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Wilson, LA
    Thanks, Guate. I'm wishing I had a printer right now, so I could print out the necessary laws and such pertaining to OC. And as to being a good OC rep, I'm one of two OCer's in my parish that I know of, and after I ahd a run in with the PD and SO; I became best friends with the Chief of Police and good friends with the Sheriff. I'm a really friendly guy, I dress nice, and I don't show off my weapon. I just wear it, just as I do with my hat or my boots.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    You can contact YALE over here, he is one of the guys that push the OC movement, so I am sure he can give you more info and advices, I practiced OC for a while and it just got old for me eventhough its is not seen as a bad thing in my area so there were never big issues.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    There aren't any school zones immediately around the hospital unless the Medical School itself counts. However, OC is a constitutionally protected activity. You'll likely have just as much trouble with the people on the street as with any LEO you encounter. That area is known for the annual Bayou Classic shooting - usually on the side of the old Joy theater.

St.Francisville

Hardheaded Young'n
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Wilson, LA
    What about the French Quarter? How far away from the hospital would I have to go to encounter a school zone? Approximately, of course. I would assume that the Medical School would count as a college (due to the school being a post high school/all adult deal), which I don't think are counted as part of the 1000 foot thing. Seeing as some of the college students I know have guns in their vehicles while attending classes.

Last edited:

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    I am in no way a racist and the issue I see is not a black/white thing but this weekend there are going to be quite a few young people in the city and they will be partying it up. You may run in to trouble simply because LEO's will be doing their best to maintain order and there will be a lot of drunk kids. So, I say you will need to make sure you play it cool and keep a level head. Sometimes young, drunk kids can make dumb decisions. I know I made a few.
    I hope your maw maw is doing well. It should do her good to have family around.

St.Francisville

Hardheaded Young'n
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Wilson, LA
    I am in no way a racist and the issue I see is not a black/white thing but this weekend there are going to be quite a few young people in the city and they will be partying it up. You may run in to trouble simply because LEO's will be doing their best to maintain order and there will be a lot of drunk kids. So, I say you will need to make sure you play it cool and keep a level head. Sometimes young, drunk kids can make dumb decisions. I know I made a few.
    I hope your maw maw is doing well. It should do her good to have family around.

I'm planning on doing the walking around with my mom. She's professional photographer, and likes to take pictures whenever she's visiting big city.
    I also don't like the thought of her walking around that area by herself, seeing as she can't run from trouble due to herniated disks and pinched nerves in her lower back. Thanks for the well wishing, it's been a long, very hard road for her these last couple of years. I'll just stay away from the French Quarter since it has school zones, though. Oh, I know all about the drink. Believe you me, I used to party it up with my buddies before they all went off to the Middle East. I'm not too worried about the drunks though. I'm a very level headed person, it's very hard to make me mad, or even the least bit ticked off.

Last edited:

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    What about the French Quarter? How far away from the hospital would I have to go to encounter a school zone? Approximately, of course. I would assume that the Medical School would count as a college (due to the school being a post high school/all adult deal), which I don't think are counted as part of the 1000 foot thing. Seeing as some of the college students I know have guns in their vehicles while attending classes.

Do yourself a massive favor. Go visit your Mom without creating drama for her. Leave the gun in the car this time.

Here's what firearms free zone means:
    http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/newWin.asp?doc=78745

Last edited:

Safari

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2007

Leave the gun and take your mom into the French Quarter and let her shoot all the great building and characters. Share a good meal with here and enjoy the day. It would be hard for a Pro Photographer to find more fertile ground for interesting shots. Be smart keep the camera strap around her neck and stay on Canal and the major streets.

Last edited:

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie

You are making the right call for your Mom. Take here to the Quarter during the day, stay on the well worn paths and let her enjoy taking photographs. I know it's not much of a consolation, but I've been to the Quarter dozens of times with my Mom without a gun on my person (I make her buy me beers).

Edit: Take her to the Quarter some other time than this weekend.

Last edited:

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have to say that as much as I am an OC advocate, if you are taking her into the Quarter during daylight hours, and if she is not as into the firearms as you are, then carry a good OC spray like the Sabre brand instead of OCing. you woon't be doing your Mom any good if you're putting stress on her in some sort of LEO confrontation. You'll have plenty of people around you most of the time, and the Sabre spray will disable just about anyone long enough for you to get the heck out of trouble.

Keep in mind however, that the Quarter is where a VERY capable Marine was recently stabbed to death by a low-life who got into an argument with said Marine's wife.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom