open carry of a holstered pistol under 21

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kae6511

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    just trying to find out a little bit of info people seem to go back and forth on the topic. i am 20 years old and if my parents were willing to let me buy a pistol and open carry it while im under 21 is it legal? ill be 21 in two months and i have a clear background and plan on getting my permit as soon as i turn 21 just wondering if anyone has the exact law on the situationl. thanks

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Open carry has no actual legislation regarding it. It is not protected any more than anything else not-banned is.

If there is any "possession of a handgun" laws, then that would be the only thing.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    The only problem you have with what you posted above is your "parents letting you buy a pistol". Since you are still under 21 you can't purchase a pistol from an FFL you would have to do private party. But other than that you would be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Wait the 2 months and get your permit. It would not be a good thing if you are open carrying and have an encounter that might cause you problems getting your permit. I would also suggest buying a pistol and get some good training before open or legally conceal your gun. Good luck to you and be safe. It's nice to see young people excited about protecting themselves but please do it responsibly.

kae6511

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    Wait the 2 months and get your permit. It would not be a good thing if you are open carrying and have an encounter that might cause you problems getting your permit. I would also suggest buying a pistol and get some good training before open or legally conceal your gun. Good luck to you and be safe. It's nice to see young people excited about protecting themselves but please do it responsibly.

im actually very interested in every aspect of the gun world. i plan on waiting the two months just to protect my rights to conceal carry. my father has several pistols such as a smith and wesson 3613 and a hi-point 9c that i have been taking to the range and conceal carrying around my house to try and get used to the weight and dressing around it. i also have a friend that has a smith and wesson m&p9c that i have went to the range and shot with him. and i plan on getting a glock 19 after my 21st birthday. just need to look for a good concealment holster. but as far as this post is concerned i think ill just hold off and wait the two months so i dont get harassed and cause an unneccessary attention.

kae6511

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    Have you taken your CHP class yet? You do that now

not yet i didnt know i could before i was 21 but another member sent me a pm earlier telling me how he was in the same situation and took the class before he was 21 so i plan on calling around tomorrow morning after i find someone close by that offers the class and knows what their doing. i have heard that some instructors dont teach as much as others around here and i would personally like to learn as much as possible from the course

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    There are good instructors and bad instructors. Some will only teach what they are required to and some even get that wrong.
    We have some really good members on here that are CHP instructors and can teach you what you need to know.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    You say you want to get the holster now, which I'm not saying is a bad idea. Just make sure what you buy fits. Don't just walk in and grab something. I went and tried out 6-7 holsters before I found the right one.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Open carry has no actual legislation regarding it. It is not protected any more than anything else not-banned is.

Absurd! :doh: :p

Of course it is Nieman and we just revised our constitution to further protect it just over a month ago.

The right of each citizen to acquire, keep, possess, transport, carry, transfer, and use arms for defense of life and liberty, and for all other legitimate purposes is fundamental and shall not be denied or infringed, and any restriction on this right shall be subject to strict scrutiny.

I'd think that is far from "not protected any more than anything else not-banned is" woudln't you think?

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Absurd! :doh: :p

Of course it is Nieman and we just revised our constitution to further protect it just over a month ago.

I'd think that is far from "not protected any more than anything else not-banned is" woudln't you think?
    I should have known better... I was trying to phrase my statement to get the least flak ;) If I say it's protected, the anti-OC folks will say "********, nowhere in any law does open carry get addressed"

So I tried to use the vague "No /more/ protected than any other right" which is to say it's protected, just nothing specific addresses it more than any other exercise of gun rights.

Guess I was thinking too much about my phrasing and lost something in translation.

ETA: Oh, and I don't count the State Constitution just yet. Unless there's legal precedent, I don't feel safe relying on it. I don't believe OC is -at all- a legal issue. Just as a rule I'm not gonna go "AMENDMENT 2 PASSED, I CAN DO WHAT I WAAAAAAANT" (within reason) until it's been tested in those situations, a bit. I ain't about to deprive my kid of his daddy while I fight a stupid charge or arrest.

Last edited:

kae6511

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    There are good instructors and bad instructors. Some will only teach what they are required to and some even get that wrong.
    We have some really good members on here that are CHP instructors and can teach you what you need to know.

is there some place i can find a list of instructors? i dont mind just learning what i need but i also want to be able to fully understand every aspect that i need to and have an instructor that knows what needs to be taught

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jp3544
    Top Bottom