Open carry with a round chambered

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • motoman129

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    My friend and I had a debate today about open carry with a round in the chamber in a semi-auto hand gun to which I said is legal but he said no it is not. My argument was what's the difference in having a revolver at capacity and a semi-auto at capacity, the revolver will always have a round chambered so why can't I have one chambered in my semi-auto. He stopped debating.

So my question to anyone who knows the Louisiana law is am I correct or is he?

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    He's full of it.

And no, before anyone asks, there is nothing to link or cite to prove it, because no law exists irt to loaded guns in Louisiana carry laws. Ask him to prove it.

Tell him he's feel free to browse through the LSP CHP site and relevant information linked on the page, and try to find it: http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html

Bradb4178

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    Ruston / Baton Rouge
    The law doesnt say anything about a round in the chamber. Like you said a revolver will always have a round in the chamber and revolvers are legal to open carry so it pertains to both.

Last edited:

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    He might have heard that about California. Used to be you could open carry unloaded firearms there. They fixed that loophole last year so now you can't open carry anything.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Of course it depends on what LEO your run up on too. When one of my friends got his CHP he was telling a guy he knew about it. The guy worked for a small PD in East Feliciana Parish and the guy told him he could carry it in his car but not with the magazine in it. :doh:

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    He might have heard that about California. Used to be you could open carry unloaded firearms there. They fixed that loophole last year so now you can't open carry anything.

You can open carry one of these in Kalifornia, but only if you look FABULOUS.

tb104-hold.jpg

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Whenever its in a holster on me there is one in the chamber... but when I get home and it comes off of me , I take it out of the chamber... the risk of grabbing it the wrong way in the dark and pulling the trigger is to me greater then the, extra time required to chamber one... but when on me, or in the car, there is one in the chamber!

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Whenever its in a holster on me there is one in the chamber... but when I get home and it comes off of me , I take it out of the chamber... the risk of grabbing it the wrong way in the dark and pulling the trigger is to me greater then the, extra time required to chamber one... but when on me, or in the car, there is one in the chamber!
    Keep an eye on that round you keep chambering and re-chambering. Bullet setback can occur, apparently.

Top Bottom