Open/Concealed carry at Academy Sports & Outdoors

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I went to Academy in Covington and in Slidell today. No, I wasn't trying to track down the elusive .22lr ammo or even anything firearms related. I was looking for a pair of Merrell shoes.

Anyway, I noticed that this sign was missing from the front glass doors at both locations:

7bdf1be31b7bce2689aacfe6f0ae8f08.jpg

It's been a while since I've been at Academy so I'm not sure how long it's been gone. I did notice at the gun counter that there was a smaller letter sized sign posted that read the same thing as the old sign that was posted at the entrance.

Not sure why the change but thought it would be of interested to others here.

jensen330

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2014
    Covington, La.
    If it was replaced with one that said you can't carry then there would be a problem. It is my understanding that you are not allowed to carry according to the louisiana laws is when a no gun sign is posted.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    I work at the covington one, and yes you can carry all you want, mu store never had the sign posted but we recently received a sign, that says open carry of handguns a go, long guns a no go, also we received a policy memo stating if people complain we tell them sorry but they are lawfully carrying nothing to do to them... but if you walk in carrying a glock I'll give you some ****... lol

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I work at the covington one, and yes you can carry all you want, mu store never had the sign posted but we recently received a sign, that says open carry of handguns a go, long guns a no go, also we received a policy memo stating if people complain we tell them sorry but they are lawfully carrying nothing to do to them... but if you walk in carrying a glock I'll give you some ****... lol

If I come in wearing a CZ then what?

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I'd have to respectfully disagree with you. During the height of the 2013 madness, I was one of the fools standing outside waiting for them to open up so I could get some ammo to go to the range with. Many many times I had nothing better to do than read the signs posted on the doors while waiting. There most certainly was a sign at the Covington store.
    In the past I have noticed the same sign at the two Baton Rouge locations, the Harahan, Slidell, and Houma locations. Sounds crazy, but once I noticed the sign at the Covington store, I sort of made an unconscious effort to check for the signs at other Academy locations.
    Even though I don't carry, I've been noticing that I check stores when going in for any sort of signage referencing firearms. So far I haven't encountered that many that have any signs prohibiting carrying, either openly or concealed.

Top Bottom