Opinel Knives

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cornbread504

Drink coffee and destroy.
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Uptown NOLA
    I had never heard of Opinel knives until one day I found one in the couch in a tattoo shop where I was working. I was dumbfounded by it... you would be too if you have never seen or heard of one. I thought it was pretty cool, so i took it home and sharpened it and cleaned it up a little bit. Then I threw it in "the pocket knife drawer" and forgot about it for at least a year until I came across it the other day. I decided to do some googling. I have the Opinel no. 7, apparently there are sizes 1-12 all varying one centimeter from the last. There are a few variations, but the classic seems to be a carbon steel blade with beechwood handle. The cool part is the way it locks open... I could try to explain it but I would confuse myself, instead I have included a random lame youtube review video. I have been playing with this knife for the past few days and I gotta say that it might be the most practical knife that i own and it holds an edge very well. They go for about $12 on the interweb and to all of you knife guys that need to own "too many knives" I really think this needs to be one of them. I am more prone to carrying around a grandpa type knife instead of one of those tactical deals since i am not a trained knife fighter and the chances of me defending my life successfully with a pocket knife are nonexistent... that makes this think right up my alley. I will say it is a little bulky to have in your pocket all day, but these things are perfect for toolboxes and gloveboxes and whatnot.

Just thought I would share

Last edited:

BRMedic

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Henderson, CO
    Opinels are awesome for the price. My great uncle swears by these and uses them for everything. The only bad thing is the blade is a little soft at 42 rockwell, atleast that whats its been about on the all the ones I have had.

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    Opinels are awesome for the price. My great uncle swears by these and uses them for everything. The only bad thing is the blade is a little soft at 42 rockwell, atleast that whats its been about on the all the ones I have had.

I thought about you when I read this the other day. Those are some pretty cool knives.

FRANKEIGHT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    new iberia
    When I used to climb in the French alps the majority of the French carried Opinels and the rest carried Lagouille knives, they are a lot more pricey than Opinels but very nice
    frank cole

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    I used to sell them, great knives, especially for the money. If you'd like something with harder steel, they make versions with stainless blades too.

Eddie117

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Toronto
    classic knife! thinking of getting one for my collection but having difficulty picking a size. 7 looks good enough though.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jerry1090
    Top Bottom