Opinion on how to stand up for 2A

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 70068shooter

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2015
    LaPlace, LA
    My writing/expressing skills probably are not that great. Please hear me out for a moment as I am looking for help.

On my favorite platform FB (Fuss Book I call it). I posted a cartoon about a gun free zone that had two guys in ski mask saying “Crap. Well, I guess well, just go home then. Darn those liberals with their gun bans.” With a caption at the bottom in bold Yeah… that’s how it’ll work.

Someone I worked with in the past. Did not realize they was so far antigun jumped all over that wanting to know how I would end gun violence. Sorry, finally getting to my point. I tried to have a debate in an open manner.

Finally, just gave up, funny a few friends tried to jump in. This person just keeps posting articles written by far-left wing folks that want to infringe on the 2nd. Guess I really lost it with the article that referred to us as gun nuts. You want red flag laws and to call me a nut in the same article. I see what is going on.

To final point. Do you not try to talk sense into these people, just block them, or what? My thought process was to bring them to our side. But is that impossible?

Just looking to stick up for 2A. I might be doing it wrong.

BluewaterLa

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Slidell La
    First you have to realize there is no winning any argument with a fool
    You can however use facts and real proven data to back up your Second Amendment right thus disproving their belief in the horse crap agenda.
    sure they will still let you know all about the propaganda, talking points and place Plenty of Feelings in the place of any reality.
    Just know that some will be fools till the end.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Good question. I never had to deal with it. My wife has a couple friends that are severe Karen’s and anti gun though. Whenever I know they are coming over I’ll make sure to leave a empty pistol laying around somewhere in a inconspicuous but openly obvious spot. (Back corner of kitchen counter, on top of toilet, etc..) It always seems to get on their nerves. :mamoru: One of them said something one time. Never again... I told her, your my wife’s friend, not mine and your in my house. If you don’t like it, you’re welcome to leave. (Bitch session from wife ensued afterwards. However point was made)

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Maybe you should remind them of the fact that their political persuasion owns the lion's share of bad behavior and violent crime. "Gun violence" would probably plummet overnight if the American left would find a way to practice some self-control. :dogkeke:

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    The old saying "Never argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" I've known people who were anti gun until something happened to them, then all of a sudden they want me to teach them, and help them purchase their first handgun. I tell people all the time I rather have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it. In today's world you can never be too cautious. Unfriend this person and never speak to them again because you will never convince a liberal otherwise.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    This thread illustrates perfectly why gun owners get a bad reputation.

Arguing on Facebook? Leaving a gun laying around to deliberately upset someone? Disavowing your friends because of a political disagreement?

I really want to believe that each of you are capable of more than this.

The best thing we can do to promote responsible gun ownership is to act like responsible adults. We don't need to confirm the media's bias that gun owners are immature, irresponsible people.

I've found that the best way to change hearts and minds is to listen to people. When someone says something that you don't agree with, ask them about it—and listen. Carefully. And empathetically. Some of the anti-gun people that I know (and respect as good and thoughtful people) feel the way they do because of some bad experiences that they, or someone in their family had with firearms. One of my friends lost a sibling to gang violence, and I understand completely that he has an aversion to firearms. Through our friendship, he has also developed an appreciation for those of us that use firearms carefully and responsibly, and he's even defended my ownership and use of guns to others in his circle that are pretty virulently anti-gun. I'm under no illusion that we'll ever be range buddies, but that's fine ... we have a healthy respect for one another, and that's as much as I can ask for.

The worst way to debate any sort of issue is to put people on the defensive. Citing statistics and tropes about gun-free zones and the like convinces nobody of anything—and in fact, it just makes people want to double-down and defend their line of thinking.

Mike

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    This thread illustrates perfectly why gun owners get a bad reputation.

Arguing on Facebook? Leaving a gun laying around to deliberately upset someone? Disavowing your friends because of a political disagreement?

I really want to believe that each of you are capable of more than this.

The best thing we can do to promote responsible gun ownership is to act like responsible adults. We don't need to confirm the media's bias that gun owners are immature, irresponsible people.

I've found that the best way to change hearts and minds is to listen to people. When someone says something that you don't agree with, ask them about it—and listen. Carefully. And empathetically. Some of the anti-gun people that I know (and respect as good and thoughtful people) feel the way they do because of some bad experiences that they, or someone in their family had with firearms. One of my friends lost a sibling to gang violence, and I understand completely that he has an aversion to firearms. Through our friendship, he has also developed an appreciation for those of us that use firearms carefully and responsibly, and he's even defended my ownership and use of guns to others in his circle that are pretty virulently anti-gun. I'm under no illusion that we'll ever be range buddies, but that's fine ... we have a healthy respect for one another, and that's as much as I can ask for.

The worst way to debate any sort of issue is to put people on the defensive. Citing statistics and tropes about gun-free zones and the like convinces nobody of anything—and in fact, it just makes people want to double-down and defend their line of thinking.

Mike

This all sounds good in theory, but it is useless to debate with anyone that is close minded. I'll be willing to bet, those individuals that are steadfast anti-gun across the board are close-minded lemmings, enslaved to whatever they hear from their favorite echo chamber, politician, friend, fellow sheep, etc.

In my many years of listening "open-mindedly" about ideas and principals from people who identify as so-called liberals, leftists, progressives, etc.; I can't find many beliefs they have that I want anything to do with. Many of their current beliefs are born of ignorance and just a plain lack of intelligence. Not all, mind you. Politicians, by contrast, are completely knowledgeable about why they push their garbage. I truly wonder how some of them keep a straight face when they sell their horseshit to their minions (I'd be willing to bet they laugh when they get behind closed doors).

I've said many times before; the entire current liberal philosophy is a phony feeling of want, guilt, or self righteousness. They can't claim that only they want ALL kids to have good educations. That only they want every American to succeed. That only they want tolerance and equal justice for all. That only they want clean air and water. I could go on!

People who refuse to understand the reasons for firearms to be held in such high regard in this particular country are ignorant! These people are probably not very schooled on the assent of the Nazi's in 1930's Germany for example. There are dozens of countries around the world that are shining examples of what becomes of an unarmed populace! I bet they have no clue about the founding fathers motivations for Constitutionally protected gun ownership here either.

The OP asked how to stand up for the 2nd Amendment? Stay off of Facebook for starters!

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    If someone is anti hand gun or anti semi automatic ( Assult rifle); but not against " Hunting guns " then listening and stating why you are not against them may get them to thinking . If they are 100% against guns their mental problems go way past what a reasonable debate can repair .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    My writing/expressing skills probably are not that great. Please hear me out for a moment as I am looking for help.

On my favorite platform FB (Fuss Book I call it). I posted a cartoon about a gun free zone that had two guys in ski mask saying *Crap. Well, I guess well, just go home then. Darn those liberals with their gun bans.* With a caption at the bottom in bold Yeah… that’s how it’ll work.

Someone I worked with in the past. Did not realize they was so far antigun jumped all over that wanting to know how I would end gun violence. Sorry, finally getting to my point. I tried to have a debate in an open manner.

Finally, just gave up, funny a few friends tried to jump in. This person just keeps posting articles written by far-left wing folks that want to infringe on the 2nd. Guess I really lost it with the article that referred to us as gun nuts. You want red flag laws and to call me a nut in the same article. I see what is going on.

To final point. Do you not try to talk sense into these people, just block them, or what? My thought process was to bring them to our side. But is that impossible?

Just looking to stick up for 2A. I might be doing it wrong.

Sometimes you have to stop arguing with people and just let them be wrong.

Top Bottom