Opinion??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    For all those more familiar with the brand, I have the opportunity to pick up a .270 Vanguard synthetic stock with Nikon Prostaff 3-9 on it, along with a padded sling. The person wants $400 for it. Condition to me is about 8.5-9 out of 10. Light rusting specks on the barrel and maybe a little more close to the breach where it meets the stock. Stock has one scratch easy to see towards the end but other than that nothing really noticeable. The person already owes me $200 which I am not in any hurry for and he wants to sell it to pay me the dollars owed, so I offered $200 for it and he said ok. I've basically done a search online and saw varied pricing from $320 up plus tax for a new rifle and I am not sure about the scope but think the Prostaff is 40mm objective, no markings. And I know that probably the only time it has been fired is to sight it in or maybe just a few more. I did look on gunbroker and the prices varied greatly. Just wondering what the opinions are as to whether anyone else would buy this based on the info at hand. I look at guns as an investment because usually the value goes up over time if taken care of.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    The Vanguard is made by in Japan by Howa to Weatherby's specifications. It is basically an improved version of the Howa 1500. The Prostaff is the bottom of Nikon's line.

If it is a series 2 vanguard with the "griptonite" stock inserts, you are getting a decent but fair deal based on the condition you describe, which to me would be rated at a 7-8 at best with any rust at all. If it is an older vanguard you are paying $50-75 too much for one in that condition. I am not an expert, these are just my opinions. I wouldn't pay more that $300 for the rifle that you describe, but I'm a tight-wad.

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    Cochise thanks, is the series two marked on the rifle?? If it is then this is the earlier model. I got it here and got a closer look and it is a little worse than first seen. I don't think he ever cleaned it after shooting it. But the crown on it is still blued like brand new and I know it was never blued over, it just has not been fired but a few times. Basically a brand new gun that was neglected.:(

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    That is always sad to hear. I hate to see neglected guns. :( At least you'll take better care of it.

As for telling the difference, the stock is the easiest visual way. I'm not sure about markings. Post a pic. Otherwise, check it for date of manufacture, I believe series 2 came out in 2010.

Last edited:

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Even if it doesn't have rust at the crown, it might still have a good bit in the middle of the barrel. Shine a light in there and check. If there is, you'll have to clean the hell out of it before it's good to shoot. You probably already knew that, but make sure you check.

Last edited:

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    Ohh yesss, there was rust and or powder in the barrel. Mostly right down close to the breach. I would say 1/2 of the barrel was blocked by powder and maybe rust together. It came out pretty easy and if there is any pitting in there it is barely visible now. All I had was a copper brush and it fit pretty tight, worked with bore cleaner and then oil. Repeatedly used brush and then oil and then clean swabs. But I need to remove the stock to make sure of any rust under the barrel. Some of it could be the dried factory oil? It seemed to melt with oil or came off easy. I'll have to ask when he got it. And bottom of rubber butt pad says weatherby and it has the raised cheek rest. I'll see about a pic tomorrow, thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom