Opinions needed about Buckshot

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    This morning I tried #000 3" today with the Modified choke tube and at 35 yards the 10 pellets were all with in a 8-9 inch group. I was thinking about trying the full choke to see if the pattern might be even a little tighter. The issue I have is if I am shooting a combination of slugs and Buckshot on a hunt, Id need a choke inserted that can handle both. I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting a slug, using Full choke.

Your right I wouldn't shoot slugs with a full choke, I think your fine with a pattern that tight, keep the modified, load a slug first and follow up with buck shot to catch the ones running you didjtn blow up with that first slug, that's what I do, works like a champ... I've never tired 000 buck, that's a lot bigger pelletit prob slams it pretty good!!!
    Not to start a new discussion but some info to bust the myth:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8852&start=0

Shotgun slug manufacturers' label on boxes of slugs state that they are safe for any choke, but I'll bet they don't mean turkey choke tubes. Never the less, it's safe to shoot them from a full choke. If it's a smooth bore, a skirted type of sabot slug is my recommendation.

Sights: I've seen a few brands of sights for shotguns over the years. There are some that clamp onto a vent rib and work well. I've also seen a rear sight with a band for a plain barrel that uses the front bead as a sight. Maybe not precise, but neither would a smooth bore at 100 yards.

As to 000 again, I've hunted with 12ga off and on a good bit over about 35 years. I prefer the 3" Remington, Winchester or federal 000 loads to anything else buckshot related. It's all we used when doing end of season deer drives, save the occasional brush gun with a fat bullet. The 000 has a better effective range, plain and simple. Heavier shot, more inertia.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Like they said- the slug is smaller diameter than the barrel. As the propellant burns, the expanding gasses leak past the rifled slug. As they do, since the slug is rifled the gasses impart a spin on the slug, like wind through a windmill. On an IC or open choked gun, the diameter of the barrel stays more consistenly opened, so the gasses pass more consistently, and the slug spins nicely. On a full choke gun, as the slug nears the end the barrel constricts, speeding up the gasses passing the slug and accelerating the spins, however since the gasses are no longer as consistent flowing past the slug, the spin can be affected, and the slug loses accuracy.

The slug gets it's spin in the barrel- not necessarily from the air it passes on the way to the target.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I went round and round with this awhile back because I just love shooting slugs in a shotgun. Call me crazy. I tried a rifled choke tube to see if it would improve accuracy out too 100yds or so without getting the dreaded donut effect when using shot in a mixed magazine. I found that it does help considerably with slugs IF you take the time to find which ones shoot best in your gun in the first place. As for shot, in my gun (Browning BPS pump) using the rifled choke didn't bother the 000 pattern at all that I could tell, but anything smaller (like #4 I wanted to shoot) sucked loosing hits in the center. I ended up just getting a good rifled barrel for slugs and it stays on that gun most of the time. It's fun.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    004accc5f2c3228437671f5218df4023.jpg

Hope this will help others choose the shot for the job.
    Interesting note: a Remington 3" mag #4 buck carries 43 pellets just a tad bigger than .22 cal.
    43 pellets moving at roundabout .22 LR high vel speed. I'm wondering how much damage I could do with a 43 round mag in my 10/22.

Another comparison, 000 buck with 9 pellets, (I believe 12 in the 3") each roughly the size of a lighter 9mm bullet (.36 cal!) and moving at nearly the same speed. Even if only half your load makes contact with the kill zone, that's a good hit.

Of course, round shot is not nearly the weight of a bullet in the same caliber, I would guess less than half.

Last edited:

lakobe1

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 30, 2012
    North Louisiana
    004accc5f2c3228437671f5218df4023.jpg

Hope this will help others choose the shot for the job.
    Interesting note: a Remington 3" mag #4 buck carries 43 pellets just a tad bigger than .22 cal.
    43 pellets moving at roundabout .22 LR high vel speed. I'm wondering how much damage I could do with a 43 round mag in my 10/22.

Another comparison, 000 buck with 9 pellets, (I believe 12 in the 3") each roughly the size of a lighter 9mm bullet (.36 cal!) and moving at nearly the same speed. Even if only half your load makes contact with the kill zone, that's a good hit.

Of course, round shot is not nearly the weight of a bullet in the same caliber, I would guess less than half.

The #000 I'm shooting is in a Remington 3" and it has 10 pellets.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    USGS uses shotguns with buckshot from helicopters to reduce hog populations in open marshes.

Pretty good testimony. :thumbup: I still have questions. From above the pellets aren't going through the shield area.... usually that's broadside. If I'm on the ground, I still have a little concern.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    yea with buck shot I usually aim for the face or upper sholder/back, I have seen some pretty tough plates!!! all hogs are diff though,its weird, I have shot hogs at 50 yards with a 7mm-08 ,heart shot, on a pipeline and he ran 100yards, got him home and cleaned him and had no heart and 20% lungs left, and I have shot 2 hogs in Venice at about 30yards with #2 steel shot and dropped them both in there tracks....but any hog I have shot with my 45-70 has been a one shot flop. I guess you just gotta be ready for any hogs reaction, all are diff. I would not second guess my shotgun under 40 yards with buckshot and under 80 yards with a slug, but I have shot plenty hogs/deer/paper with it know where it will hit and my pattern, get comfortable with it and able for a FAST FOLLOW UP. if you watch the heli hunters on youtube all they use is AK style 12guages with buckshot, but like the other member said that was shooting on there backbone, no shield to go through..

lakobe1

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 30, 2012
    North Louisiana

Thanks for the pics. I shoot an inexpensive Stoeger p350 pump shotgun that accommodates 2 3/4, 3" and 3 1/2" cambering. I could not ask for a better shooting shotgun. I put it right up there with my Super Nova Bellini, at less than half the price. Shooting my 3" #000 Buckshot in a Remington Express Mag shoots a group similar to your bottom picture at 40 full yards. I use the modified choke.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    56d8913af3697b585733344bdb58695a.jpg

93567a4dbed734611c83c32f2644a365.jpg

009960f34bc63dbd1ab5806a96bfd6b8.jpg

A few pics for comparison. The copper plated buck is 000, the non plated is 00. There's a couple 12ga slugs and a 9mm FMJ and a copper plated 6 shot. The flat nose is from something totally foreign

lakobe1

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 30, 2012
    North Louisiana
    I've been shooting the 3" Remington Mag Express Buckshot in the #000 size. My patterns out to 40 yards with ten pellets has been excellent with 6-8 inch grouping. I am trying a new shell in the Federal Premium #000 in 3" the next time weather allows. Storming here in Louisiana today. In looking at the two shells, the brass on the Remington Mag is longer then is the Federal Premium. What that will mean in the overall performance, I'm just not sure.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I've been shooting the 3" Remington Mag Express Buckshot in the #000 size. My patterns out to 40 yards with ten pellets has been excellent with 6-8 inch grouping. I am trying a new shell in the Federal Premium #000 in 3" the next time weather allows. Storming here in Louisiana today. In looking at the two shells, the brass on the Remington Mag is longer then is the Federal Premium. What that will mean in the overall performance, I'm just not sure.

Stick with 000. Who cares if they cost a bit more? Go to the "Sportsmans Guide.com" and buy that inexpensive Sellier & Bellot shotshells. There is no such thing as overkill for a hog! Shoot it, and get it down! Do you know how much you would need to shoot to make the monetary difference significant?

And what if you see a deer of a lifetime? I shot a massive 8 point in the shoulder with a round of #1 BS, from 15 yards, and watched it haul ass only to be killed by another hunter 100 yards away!

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I shoot the Dixie slugs triball loads that have 3 .60cal buckshot that weigh 315grs. each. It will put all of them in a 12 inch or less circle at 40 yards in a full choke. Academy has some 2 ball loads with .60cal balls. I bought a box but haven't tested them yet.
    I have yet to see any shotgun pattern buckshot past 45 to 50 yards (measured yards) worth a damn other than these triball loads. My 410 pump is good out 35 yards with 5 OOO loads which is half the 12 gauge load with 70gr pellets.
    I bought some .40 cal buckshot with 4 pellets that weigh 90 grs each for it that pattern well too. I'm shooting these out of a cyl bore barrel.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    For anybody hunting with a rifled slug barrel, scoped or not, I highly recommend Hornady's SST 300gr slugs for the long shot. Once you get on target you'll love them. Basically a big ass polymer ballistic tip jacketed bullet moving twice the speed of sound. And from a 24" rifled slug barrel they'll hold a nice pattern at 100+ yards.

rhettro

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    Pattern your gun. Go with the load that patterns best. All the chatter about effectiveness and overkill mean nothing without knowing how your shotgun shoots the loads. Hunted in a shotgun only club for many years.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    well I got a doe on the last doe day... 3" 00 buckshot federal "flight control" she was about 25 yards away and I had a either a sholder shot or face shot, so of course me wanting to save meat, and shoot a deer in the face, I went with the face lol:draw: at about 25 yards I had 9 out of 12 pellets hit here in the face, 2 in here ear... not to bad, out of a beretta 1301 tactical with a cylinder bore, so shoot diff kinds and see what shoots the best!!!!!

image.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom