Opinions on Browning Shotguns

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sheashae

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Vp
    I am in the market for a new shot gun, and I am pretty sure I am going to stick with browning. The issue I am having is they just came out with the new A5 and have not heard much about them. I was planning to purchase the Maxus, but played with the A5 today at Lafayette and now I am uncertain. Any bought or used the A5 yet?? Any feedback or opinions?

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I have a browning maxus and love it. I find it points well for me and it is very light weight. I did not look at any other model Brownings but I did line up all of the high end shotguns at cabelas and the maxus fit me the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    I think the maxis is a great gun if you can spend that kind of money. Personally if I were buying an A5 I would get an original version instead of the remake. That's just me

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I can't afford them.

I understand. When I was in high school and college I borrowed guns from anyone who would loan me one (dad didn't hunt). When I finally started earning $ I went wild! I usually get a new waterfowl gun about every 3 years mainly because the technology changes and I'm a sucker for fancy and bells and whistles. I use my waterfowl gun more than any guns in my safe so I don't mind spending $1000+ on a good gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    Long story short - Buy the maxus.

I bought one the week they came out and brought it to Canada without shooting it once. Shot a case of dirty shells without cleaning it that week and didn't get one hiccup. This is my fourth season with it so far hunting in a salt water marsh and I only spray it with oil after most hunts ( Don't worry I break it down for a thorough cleaning before I put it up after the season). I have put thousands of rounds through it shooting everything from 3 1/2 inch buckshot to 7/8th ounce skeet loads and have had only one failure to eject. It was a low brass skeet load and my gun was dirty as hell. I was embarrassed when my buddies saw how bad it was :D.

It's under 7 pounds but the gas system makes the recoil very light. The gun points so well snap shooting is a breeze when dealing with quick teal. The coating is tough and the dura touch on the stock keeps it grippy even when wet.

Typing this on my phone so sorry if it looks like a jumble of pro maxus statements but you can tell I love this gun. If you can afford it, buy it. I promise you won't be dissapointed.

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    I am in the market for a new shot gun, and I am pretty sure I am going to stick with browning. The issue I am having is they just came out with the new A5 and have not heard much about them. I was planning to purchase the Maxus, but played with the A5 today at Lafayette and now I am uncertain. Any bought or used the A5 yet?? Any feedback or opinions?

The new A5 is NOT the same as the old one. It is a completely different action, and if you are accustomed to the original A5 long recoil action, will find the new one shoots radically different. Having said that, I must confess that I LOVE Browning shotguns and the original A5 is an all time classic. I also am impressed with the new iteration of the A5, but its retail price is just too high for a field gun. There are many original A5's out there for sale in used gun shops and auction sites, and you can find an excellent condition A5 for reasonable $$$.

XD45ACP

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 26, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I think the maxis is a great gun if you can spend that kind of money. Personally if I were buying an A5 I would get an original version instead of the remake. That's just me

I agree, I hunt with a A5 Magnum from around 1965 (was my dad's) and it's seen more abuse and use than any other shotgun I've ever seen, and it's never stopped... even when many other shotguns went down. There is no bluing left on the receiver and not much on the barrel, but it doesn't rust nearly as bad as any other shotguns (Remingtons) I've used. I really love it for duck hunting, or something where you won't be carrying it all day... that thing is heavy, but I would argue it's one of the best shotguns out there.

sheashae

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Vp
    Typing this on my phone so sorry if it looks like a jumble of pro maxus statements but you can tell I love this gun. If you can afford it, buy it. I promise you won't be dissapointed.

Looks to me like you would make one hell of a good salesmen for browning. But seriously, I am learning towards the maxus myself. Thanks for the info much appreciation!

Johnny rebel

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Maurice, la
    swapped from a gold to a maxus last year. The 3.5 gold was a great gun. It did not like dirty low brass shells. 50 clays into a round it would stove pipe every few shells until cleaned. Bought the maxus and love it. no issues with feeding it any ammo. Only issue I had was the light trigger, compared to gold. First trip I kept thinking I was only loading two shells in gun. Turned out I was double tapping on the first shot and not realizing it. Field strips in seconds and easy to clean.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jerry1090
    Top Bottom