Opinions on chiropractic

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trickasabrick

older than dirt
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Prairieville
    Looking for some unbiasad opinions on chiropractic and recomendations on chiropractors. I've been having some lower back and hip pain for about 6 weeks, and I wonder if going to a chiropractor might help. Anybody have any input, good or bad, on the practice in general, and any practitioners in the Gonzales, Prairieville, or South BR area? good helpful videos here https://totalmotionrelease.com/

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I cant recommend you one in those areas unfurtunetly.

I have attended several sessions to Dr. Robert Lejeune in Lafayette of Bertrand Drive, I have had about 4 car accidents most behind hit from behind, plus the stress from practicing martial arts (when I was little), plus the stress of working construction (mostly roofs) makes my back hurt BAD. It all depends on how I sleep and the type of activity that I am doing, it has defenitly helped me a lot to get everything back into a straight line and even my neck seems to not suffer as much any more. If you do start going to one you might have to make it a habit of going though at least once a month if nothing else, like anything else its a process, so I would not recommend for you to stop going as soon as you stop hurting, I can promise you that it will hurt again not too far down the road.

Another great option would be Acupuncture, the pain is less than what you are currently experiencing and its amazing what those needles can do, but the same applies its a process and not a short term pain relief center.

Good luck brother.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Chiropractic is based on a false, simplistic theory about the spinal column and spinal nerves. It was invented by a janitor.

Modern chiropractors have adopted some scientific training & methods. But, the underlying theory is still false and misleading.

Most musculoskeletal injuries will get better on their own, if left alone.

If you have back or neck problems, P.M. me & I'll give you an opinion on your images for free. If you don't have images, P.M. me anyway. Excellent imaging and crappy imaging are the same price.

If you have a serious Neuro problem, go to Neuro Med Center in BTR.

If you have an extremity problem, go see Charles Hollier, R-PT, (formerly "Pain Man") in your area. Charles will be able to tell you what kind of additional help you may need. He may also be a good start for a recent back or neck problem, too.

There are several excellent Orthopedists in your area; John Loupe, MD, for instance.

Since you are in PrairieVille, contact Charles and follow his advice as a first step.

I would avoid chiropractors.

leVieux

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Looking for some unbiasad opinions on chiropractic and recomendations on chiropractors.?

I used to think it was BS.

Following a car wreck I was unable to turn my head more than a couple inches in ether direction.

Following 1st visit to a chiropractor I was able to turn (MUCH more, over 75% of range of motion) to the side that he 'cracked' but not the other.

Following the second, I got the other side back... Couple months got me back to almost a full range of motion.

But the results of those first couple appointments were DRAMATIC.

Say what you will... to me the results are proof enough.
    (Changed MY mind!)

nortac

Cynical Old Codger
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Abita Springs, LA , USA
    Chiropractic feels good but doesn't last or correct the underlying problems. You might look into inversion therapy. I have a Teeter Hang Up that helps. Stretching is very important, tight hamstrings in the legs can aggravate the muscles of the lower back.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    My wife has gone a few times a month for several months in a row for a pinched nerve near her shoulder blade that might have something to do with her mild Scoliosis.

She feels great leaving that place, but in a couple weeks she has to go back again.

Were looking into the Schroth Method to be done after the birth of our latest addition in May 2011.

nortac

Cynical Old Codger
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Abita Springs, LA , USA
    Chiropractic may help with acute conditions and feels good, but doesn't last or correct chronic conditions. Inversion therapy may help. I use the Teeter Hang Up inversion table with good results. You should check out: http://www.losethebackpain.com/7daybackpaincure.html and JB Berns "Rehab your Body at Home" DVD [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Urban-Rebounder-Rehab-Your-Body/dp/B0007QC938[/ame]. Stretching is very important, tight hamstrings in the legs can aggravate the muscles of the lower back.

Last edited:

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Actually, it was not invented by a janitor. It was performed ON a janitor. Thee is something to chiropractic and many alternative methodologies. Back surgeons will tell you that 95% of their surgeries are failures. Doctors rarely diagnose the SOURCE of ills but they will prescribe drugs to mask the symptom. I'm very athletic and going to a traditional doctor is hazardous to me and what I do. If there is some muskeloskeletal imbalance I don't need meds I need to address the "wrongs".

In the Prairieville/Dutchtown area you have a superb Licensed Massage Therapist that is extremely knowledgeable and the Chiropractor I use maybe once a month/month and ahalf is Dr. Harry Wolverton (Family Chiropractic) on Perkins Road just off of Siegen Lane. For the LMT's info PM me.

The US Olympic Team and many NFL teams employ chiropractors on staff. They are not a "cure all" and some are as f'd up as f'd up doctors who don't do crap so it's up to the PERSON not his title. There are ambulance chasers and guys who just re-arrange vertebrae the same way no matter your condition. Stay away; you're wasting money and not addressing your root cause issue.

Finally, they can realign things but you have to relearn your behaviors to keep them aligned - stretching, strengthening exercises and changing your behavior. A good chiropractor will tell you this.

In Ann Arbor I went to a guy due to severe acute back pain. I had sketches where it hurt and diagraming torque on the body and a description of the shooting nature of the pain - therefore nerves involved. He asked me a ton of questions about my habits, injuries, etc., taking notes. He told me he'd like to do xrays and analyzed them WITH me. I could see pelvic misalignment. He then told me his procedure and told me that he could NOT cure me but he could realign things and I'd have to do exercises, stretches, retrain my behaivours, etc. to maintain equilibrium. He made the adjustment; took another set of Xrays and I was convinced that he, at least, was on to something.

When I moved back home I asked him for names of Chiropractors who practiced his technique (Toggle and some others) and Dr. Wolverton did not disappoint.

My issues were severalfold. Car accident years ago with no therapy (gee, thanks, doc). Hard judo/jujitsu player for a time. Very competitive flag football. Sleeping on my stomach (or in a barrel if I felt I could get comfortable in it). I still play hard and have to be careful with very heavy, very intense assymetric movements but in the gym all is fine with 200 lbs and the Pec Dec machine, believe it or not. Following that lying face up and turning my legs to either side I can usually get some realignment of my lower back. I get an adjustment that aligns things so I get an adjustment every other day now - usually just before we workout. I can feel additional blood and energy flowing after a good adjustment. I finish the workout with the Pec Dec and stretching.

So, YES, it works for me. Performance is the proof of the pudding.

Last edited:

senseiturtle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2007
    South Carolina
    I second levieux's opinion.

I will say this though.... physical therapy does work, especially for back pain, and my second stop (after seeing an MD) would be a physical therapist.

90% of back pain self resolves.

And no ... back surgeons do not claim a 90% failure rate. Logic would state that medicine has a 100% failure rate, since we all die anyway.

jbonnette

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Chiropractics has worked well for me. Just make sure to find a reputable one... like any other profession, most of them are just mediocre. When you find a excellent one, the results are great.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Although some people swear chiroptics work. Before you spend money on it, it would be smart to try and troubleshoot it yourself. Unless you have suffered a back injury from an accident usually back pains can be fixed yourself. Stretching, changing sleep position, changing mattress, corrrect posture, avoid extended sitting. Any number of things can cause back and hip discomfort. More times than not they are caused from bad habits, and the only thing that can help is correcting those habits. Simple things like always having a thick wallet in your back pocket and sitting on it can cause problems. That's just an example. I suffered a knee injury 6years ago and from slightly favoring my left leg my right hip aches and is always tight. Which then causes the same reaction in my right lower back and left upper back. I went to a chiropractor and I felt like I was served a bunch of BS. The only things that help me is stretching, exercise, and not sleeping longer than 7 hours.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Dr. Plantz will pick you up if you don't have a ride and they have a generator if they loose power. :D

I would take leVieux up on his offer and advice. I've googled him before and he's the real deal.

K

Kbovine

I always feel better after visiting the chiropractor. When I had better insurance, I would go every month or so just 'cause it was nice to have done. I was rearended a few months ago, and chiropractor + massage worked wonders. But for sure, find a good, reputable one.

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    Back pain is frequently due to dehydration of the spinal discs between the vertibrae. A physical therapist can assist in rehydration of the discs, spreading the vertebrae and easing the pain. Assuming this is your problem.

Roger what levieux said about chiropractors. It really is a psuedo-science. They can make you feel good, but a masseuse is better for that. Not to mention with a particular neck "adjustment" by a chiropractor, you can suffer a stroke when a carotid artery is blocked. It has happened.

OveractiveBrain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Chiropractors are like the anti-hangover drug "Chaser"

To make "Chaser" work, you must drink no more than one alcoholic beverage per hour, and, after each alcoholic beverage, drink one glass of water to activate the drug. News flash. If you drink one drink an hour (the rate at which your liver metabolizes alcohol) AND drink a glass of water you will be without a hangover anyway.

Chiropractic is part of the world of complimentary medicine. Its called complimentary because it exists to make people feel better. If you have a hundred bucks a session, and it makes you feel better to keep going, go for it. You will not cure anything and it gets quite costly.

How is Chiropractic like Chaser? It works when you change your lifestyle. Most orthopedic injuries can be helped with life style changes. That means, lose weight (be less than 175 pounds for an average male, or 140 for an average female), stretch (as in be able to touch your toes), and change your mattress.

What chiropractic likes to cite is issue of slipped disk. They claim that their outcomes are similar to neurosurgery. Well, guess what else is similar to neurosurgery? Doing nothing. Neurosurgical outcomes are superior at 6 months, but are identical to stretching and light activity at 1 year.

The difference is in symptom control. Chiropractic helps with symptoms. Massage helps with symptoms. Tylenol helps with symptoms. Do you have 15 dollars per month? Use Tylenol. Do you have 400 dollars per month? Use chiropractic.

In summary, chirporactic is expensive, largely placebo, can be better than meds for symptom control, but if it works for you, go nuts.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Chiropractic is based on a false, simplistic theory about the spinal column and spinal nerves. It was invented by a janitor.

Modern chiropractors have adopted some scientific training & methods. But, the underlying theory is still false and misleading.

Most musculoskeletal injuries will get better on their own, if left alone.

If you have back or neck problems, P.M. me & I'll give you an opinion on your images for free. If you don't have images, P.M. me anyway. Excellent imaging and crappy imaging are the same price.

If you have a serious Neuro problem, go to Neuro Med Center in BTR.

If you have an extremity problem, go see Charles Hollier, R-PT, (formerly "Pain Man") in your area. Charles will be able to tell you what kind of additional help you may need. He may also be a good start for a recent back or neck problem, too.

There are several excellent Orthopedists in your area; John Loupe, MD, for instance.

Since you are in PrairieVille, contact Charles and follow his advice as a first step.

I would avoid chiropractors.

leVieux

This is good advice. Go to a real doctor. I suffer from lower back pain as does my wife. We wouldn't dream of trusting the only backs we will ever have to anyone other than the best we can find and afford.

If your insurance will cover it get an image of the injury, and take it to a good medical doctor who specializes in backs. We went to Dr. Davis at Tulane Medical Center in New Orleans, and he was soooo worth it. The images of my back clearly showed a degenerating bone that was not rolling against its neighbor the way it's designed to do. Education and therapy fixed the immediate problem and showed me how to avoid injuring it in the future.

For my wife the pain started in her lower back then moved down into her butt, then into her thigh, and calf, and finally into her foot. As it turned out a ruptured disc was spewing fluid into her spinal column. This would have NEVER been diagnosed by a chiropractor. Dr. Davis recommended therapy and injections to "cool off" the inflamed area. This was three years ago, and her back has been relatively trouble-free. Surgery was not necessary.

Remember this is the only back you will ever have. It can't be replaced, and once damage is done it often is permanent, so when your back starts hurting DON'T IGNORE IT!

By the way a simple way my physical therapist recommended to relieve lower back pain is to lay on your back on a bed with your knees bent over the side of the bed. This creates a mild, simple, (and free) traction that gently stretches the lower back and relieves the pain. These days I do this all the time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom