Opinions on Iphone 5 cases

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wfarrell1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Getting my first Iphone 5 within the next week or 2 and I am trying to decide which case to get for it. So far its narrowed down to the "griffin survivor" "defender OB". I am also slightly looking at the "lifeproof", but have heard there are issues with the touch screen giving issues and also the sound not being to great.

What are you guys using? Also Im not to worried about the water proof as much as I am the overall protection of the phone.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I have a lifeproof on my 4s. I love it. I've dropped it 4 stories off the roof of a building (accident) and it's perfectly fine.

I haven't looked too much into the lifeproof for the 5. Is the screen protector that different?

wfarrell1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have a lifeproof on my 4s. I love it. I've dropped it 4 stories off the roof of a building (accident) and it's perfectly fine.

I haven't looked too much into the lifeproof for the 5. Is the screen protector that different?

Not sure Ive read alot of reviews saying that the screenP makes it a little more difficult to use the touch screen.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Hmm. My thought process is that if there are a number of complaints about a product, they'll either redo it or you should question why its still so popular (aka are people lying).

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have the Otterbox "Armor" case and like the lifeproof the sound takes a hit unless I pop the charge cover.

Bulky as heck? Check (not for small pockets)
    Heavy? Check (9.67oz with a 4S)
    Indestructible? Check (4000lb crush rating)

There isn't any problem using the screen, I just wrote this post without any extra effort. All the case buttons are hella stiff, though. No accidental presses happening here.

I had a defender on before this one, it was slimmer but much less damage resistant. Two snap-locked plastic halves and a silicone jacket were acceptable for the occasional fall, but were woefully inadequate for being sat on.

Last edited:

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I have a magpul case I'm very happy with. It isn't as protective as a otterbox or life proof but its also not bulky. Still thin and protective enough for my needs.

francis8709

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    +1 on the magpul case. Had one for my 4 and was sold on it. Very thin yet protective and grips well. Just get a pack of screen protectors and your g2g.

Fracture_U

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The new Otter Box Defender for the 5 is, in my opinion, much better than the last model they had for the 4S. The skin on the outside feels a little like the Lifeproof case, but more of a rubber feel. The case will slide in and out (huhuhuh....he said "in and out") of pockets much better than the old silicon crap they used. My son has a lifeproof and as far as he is concerned, it is good, but the protective shield seems to "hoover" above the screen. +1 on the new OB Defender

Crippler7815

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    https://www.lunatik.com/products/taktik-extreme-5

I have one of these for my 4S and it's absolutely bulletproof. Worth every penny.

I love the silicone bumper on it, it absorbs all impacts from the side and cushions the phone, and I bought the one with gorilla glass to protect the screen. Well built, only issue I've had is that I had to trim around the headphone jack so I can fit larger diameter headphone plugins.

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    I've used Otterbox for years, and dealt with the size. Went to a 5 earlier this year and had a Ballistic recommended.(significantly smaller in size than an O Box) Had never heard of them, took a chance. Gotta say, it's held up to many drops, and also a flop into H2O for well over a minute. Maybe I was v lucky with the water incident, but the phone is going on a month and still working fine.
    It even has a built in easel on the back, never thought I'd use it...til I tried it.

jdessell

Womb-Raider
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    NOLA
    Guy I work with went through 4 Iphones. Broken screens, getting them wet etc...he uses the Lifeproof case now and has been GTG. I use the Otterbox Defender on my Kindle and have no complaints other than price.

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    http://www.mophie.com/iPhone-5-Power-s/118.htm
    Been using the Mophie cases for the past 4 years. Don't know how I made it without them before. A full charge and a half anytime I need it.
    Great for camping trips.

+1
    I've had a Mophie on my 4S since I bought it a year ago. Tough case. Lost count of how many hits it's taken. I need a course in phone retention..

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I have had an otterbox on my past two phones and on my iPad and I have had no problems with them. I am getting the new Galaxy S 4 in two weeks and will probably get an otterbox for it too :)

Top Bottom