Opinions on Kahr CW9

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbeaux82

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Natchitoches, LA
    I have seen several opinions on the Kahr CW9 on both sides of the coin, some good, some bad. I am certainly interested in a very lightweight 9mm for pocket carry and am considering the Keltec PF9 and the Kahr CW9.

I would like to hear any comments, based on actual experience, regarding the CW9 with respect to reliability.

TIA

GClifton

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Chenal, La.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I've owned one for a few years now. Once you get him good & broken in, it's a fine little carry piece, IMHO. Kahr advises that you run around 200 rounds through a brand-new one before using it as your everyday carry gun. I did, and would trust mine with my life. No problems.

Solid construction, virtually snagproof, and comfortable to carry.

Last edited:

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    I have owned both.

While more concealable, the PF-9 is a beast to shoot. You DO NOT want to shoot more than a magazine or two at a time through this gun as it HURTS, and I don't have sissy hands.

The light weight makes it a joy to carry, but becoming proficient with it may take some doing as the recoil is just crazy.

The CW9 is a nice piece. I personally have owned every model Kahr makes and while some on Bayoushooter talk about how awful Kahr's are and would never trust one, I have found every one of them to
    be nothing but absolutely reliable.

Some balk about the 200 round break in. "I shouldn't have to put 200 rounds through a brand new gun, thats BS." It makes good sense to me. If the gun is new, used or new to you, it just makes good sense
    to put a generous amount of ammo through ANY gun before you decide to trust your life to it.

I personally have had issues with the PF-9's extractor screw backing out during firing and it FTE the gun. This is cured with some good WAX type Loc-tite but you have to be careful and NOT get it in the firing pin channel or you've got one hell of a mess on your hands to get it functioning again. I also know that Charliepapa had a hammer spring break on his during a range trip.

Both are decent guns. If concealment is of the utmost concern, go with the Kel-Tec, it will fit in a back pocket. If you want a higher quality weapon, that can be concealed very well inside the waistband, take the Kahr.

csbutton

Unreconstructed
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I've had a CW9 for a couple of years now. The third round FTF, then no problems over 700 rounds later. A pleasure to shoot, very accurate, well made weapon that conceals well and extracts from the holster very smoothy...my only complaint (and I knew this going in) is that the sights are pinned in place and may be costly and difficult, if not impossible to upgrade.

GClifton

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Chenal, La.
    I have carried the CW9 in my pocket, inside a Uncle Mike's #9 (I believe), the same holster I carry a S&W 642. As stated earlier I have never had a problem with the CW9 or anyother pistols, but I keep them lubed, they come pretty dry in the box and a lot of people fail to oil those babies down.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I currently own a CW9 and a PM9 and I have never had any issues with any Kahr that I have owned.
    If you truly want a pocket Kahr look at the CM9 or PM9. Same size, CM9 is less expensive.
    Clean, lube, shoot, repeat.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    if you're determined to pocket carry, get the PM9 or its economy cousin; CW9, I think. I had a PM9, and regret selling it...

It warms my heart to hear you sing the praises of Kahr. :D

And its the CM9 that's the less expensive cousin of the PM9. But good luck finding one, at least locally.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom