Opinions on Taurus 1911

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slickcdb2000

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2007
    Winnsboro
    Well... as the title states, what's ya'll opinion on a taurus 1911? I have a taurus 101 but not a 1911. I've only shot mine about 20 or so times and all is well but i'm really wanting a 1911. I found one that I may be able to get just wanted to see what everyone else thinks about them.

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    A Springfield G.I. is in the same price range, that would be my choice. I've heard that the Taurus 1911 is kind of a mixed bag, you either get a good one or a bad one, there really isn't a middle ground.

Ske1etor

BOOM! LEGSHOT!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Chacahoula, Louisiana
    Actually you should look at the RIA long and hard.

Yes they are made in the phillipines and yes they are cheap. Doesn't mean they aren't decent quality and the customer service will take care of you.

I know a few people that have purchased them and most of those people are happy with the purchase. The tactical model can be had for less than 500 bucks at most shops.

I would rather the RIA over the Taurus... but go with what you feel.

Handle them both.

slickcdb2000

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2007
    Winnsboro
    really? I haven't heard much about rock island.... I just assumed it being a cheaper gun it would be a "cheaper" gun... if you know what I mean. Taurus has a pretty good name behind them. Just not familiar with rock island.

LAYNFRM

in the fire
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    central/pride
    i believe my high standard is similar to the RIA. same people make the frame and slide i think. pretty sure that after that, a different company takes over. the crusader compact like mine comes with lowered and flared ejection port, skeletonized trigger (4ish lbs trigger pull), skeletonized hammer, bushingless barrel, beavertail grip safety, novak sights, etc...

here's a full fledged review on it. they run about $500
    http://www.gunblast.com/HighStandard-Compact1911.htm

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I would go with the taurus( and plano to as it is on the to buy list), it doesn't really need much upgrading. It has msot of the features that I would want to add to a basic 1911 and the price and warranty is great. I have a couple of tauruses and cannot complain.

slickcdb2000

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2007
    Winnsboro
    Well.. I think I may go with the taurus. After reading up on the both of them. Most people seem to prefer the taurus.... It may just be the name.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    A friend of mine bought a new Taurus 1911 when they first arrived on the scene. He had a trigger job done on it,added a Smith Alexander mag well and changed grips. Between the two of us we put about 1800 rounds through it. I took it apart after shooting a match for cleaning and the ejector fell out!! It snapped off in the frame but ran fine until I removed the slide. Bought a "mil spec" replacement from Brownells and as far as I know it's still running. If you go with the Taurus,don't take it apart to clean it.:p

oldironsights

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2008
    Carriere, Mississippi
    I have owned & used ARMSCORP 1911 style pistols made in the Philippines that were marketed under the Charles Daly & High Standard trade names, & I still own one of the early Taurus PT1911 pistols.
    The ARMSCORP pistols are cast, have rough casting & machine marks on the interior surfaces & have generous slide, barrel & frame gaps that do not hinder movement. A good combat pistol that will function flawlessly, even when dirty, but will not shoot tight groups.
    The Taurus PT1911 is forged, with the interior surfaces nicely finished, & sporting a wiggle free fit of the barrel, slide & frame that will shoot very tight groups, but may fail to enter battery if allowed to foul with spent, dirty powder after several magazines.
    If one desires a match grade shooter on a budget, get the Taurus!
    If one only wants a 1911 look-alike for slightly less money, you may be satisfied with the Philippine made 1911 clone.:hs:
    With my Philippine made 1911's long gone & my Brazilian 1911 still in the safe or in my hand shooting 230 grain ball ammo into one ragged hole, you can see which one pleases me.:)

Ske1etor

BOOM! LEGSHOT!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Chacahoula, Louisiana
    I have owned & used ARMSCORP 1911 style pistols made in the Philippines that were marketed under the Charles Daly & High Standard trade names, & I still own one of the early Taurus PT1911 pistols.
    The ARMSCORP pistols are cast, have rough casting & machine marks on the interior surfaces & have generous slide, barrel & frame gaps that do not hinder movement. A good combat pistol that will function flawlessly, even when dirty, but will not shoot tight groups.
    The Taurus PT1911 is forged, with the interior surfaces nicely finished, & sporting a wiggle free fit of the barrel, slide & frame that will shoot very tight groups, but may fail to enter battery if allowed to foul with spent, dirty powder after several magazines.
    If one desires a match grade shooter on a budget, get the Taurus!
    If one only wants a 1911 look-alike for slightly less money, you may be satisfied with the Philippine made 1911 clone.:hs:
    With my Philippine made 1911's long gone & my Brazilian 1911 still in the safe or in my hand shooting 230 grain ball ammo into one ragged hole, you can see which one pleases me.:)

First off, the RIA isn't a 1911 "look alike". It is built to the same specs as the original M1911A1. The only difference is the cast frame and slide.

Calling the Taurus PT1911 a "Match Grade Shooter" is laughable. It may be fairly accurate but downgrading Rock River Arms, Nighthawk Customs and any pistol from Rogers Precision by comparing a Taurus to their ranks is well... :mamoru:

(Just to let you know, I have no baby in this game. I own neither of these pistols. I have shot both and for the difference in the money, I would rather the RIA. The Taurus is like grab bagging. Reach in and hope you get one that you won't have to send back to the manufacturer five times.)

Trickasabrick

older than dirt
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Prairieville
    I bought a Taurus 1911 last year, and have put about 700 rounds through it so far. I have fired ball, JHP, and semi-WC ammunition, and it has not had one malfunction of any kind, and shoots great. So far I can't say anything bad about it. I plan on keeping it a long time.

Top Bottom