Opinions on the GSG 1911-22

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trickasabrick

older than dirt
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Prairieville
    Anybody have any experience with the GSG 1911-22? I'm considering one and was hoping to get some first hand info from somebody that owned one vs online reviews. If I get one, it will be used for plinking, range time with a 1911 without the expense of the .45 ammo, and general nutria rat killin. Thanks in advance.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Never shot one, but after handling them they felt cheaply manufactured to me. The sights are plastic and the slide and frame seemed to be some type of light weight pot metal or alloy. Pick up a ruger mark series in 22.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Can't go wrong with a Ruger MK I, II, or III. They are all great comfortable and affordable pistols that will last forever.

Death Valley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I have both the ruger and the gsg love them both. The ruger you can't go wrong with,but the gsg has been a great gun I have had no problems with it and if you like the 1911 platform then you will love this gun.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Havent held one butI have heard pretty good reviews about the GSG and Sig(Walther made I think).
    Dont go in with too high of expectations and you wont be dissapointed.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    i have both the GSG and a Ruger MarkIII. I may be the oddball, but i like the GSG more. Since its set up like a full size 1911, the trigger just feels better for me than the Mark III. Everything naturally feels better, the safety, the grips, beavertail, everything.

I do admit, that i got one of the early ones with the crap pot metal bushing and it did break on me while shooting it and the guide rod plug and spring went flying down range, but I was able to get in contact with ATI customer service and they sent me out new parts. and it's been great ever since. i do have a lot of slide wear which it could be because of the guide rod or just needing to finish the frame better, but it's still a shooter, so i don't care.

i've probably got over 3000 rounds through it suppressed and unsuppressed. its a good suppressor host. i think most of my issues come from shooting crap Remington Golden Bullets out of it.

the thing i don't like about the Ruger Mark III is, it's top heavy. a really heavy steel upper and that really light polymer lower. i mean the weight is really bias towards to top, either that, or it just feels that way for me. if i had a TacSol upper, i'm sure that would be a different story.

honestly, i would buy another one. but that's just my 2 cents, i no gun expert.

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    I have one. Has been extremely reliable with CCI ammo. Can't make any remarks about it over the long term but it's been great in our brief time together so far. Much like noob, I like it more than the Rugers...just for personal reasons. Feels better in my hand, aims better for me...and I just can't stand the weird ass European looks of the Ruger. My GSG has been accurate enough for me and I plan on really running some rounds through it soon to see how she takes it. Right now I would recommend it to anyone.

Trickasabrick

older than dirt
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Prairieville
    Thanks for the replies. That Marvel unit might be a way to go, but it still might be nice to have a dedicated gun. I probably don't need either since I have a 10/22, a charger, and a .22 revolver already, but you know how it is.

Top Bottom