Opinions on Walther P22

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trickasabrick

older than dirt
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Prairieville
    My daughter and son in law are going to look at .22 pistols, and are considering the Walther P22. I don't have any experience with this gun, so if anybody has one or has any experience, please chime in.

Thanks

Miltonite

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Lafayette
    I have shot a p22 and it was a good gun, what you would expect from a .22. It was pretty accurate as well.

I own a sp22 though. It is the "competition model" I think. It has a longer barrel and an internal slide. I enjoy shooting it. Like I said, it is what you would expect from a .22. I have not had any FTF or TFE problems with it after about 300 rounds of the green box (500 rounds) Winchester, same ammo that many people have problems with.

nefu

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    I have recently purchased a P22 and put ~ 300 rds through it without 1 problem. I used three diferent ammos from Walmart/ Academy. I tried to jam it by rapid fire and couldn't. I am very pleased.

Trickasabrick

older than dirt
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Prairieville
    It's not really my style, and after reading that it was mostly plastic and pot metal, I probably wouldn't consider it myself, however, they probably won't shoot it enough to ever wear it out, and it looks cool (to them anyway). I told them I'd probably buy a Ruger or a Buckmark instead, but we'll see what they wind up with. They wanted a .22 that looked more like a modern centerfire pistol.

RCRAMIE

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Played with one was gonna buy one it is just small. I started looking at some of the bigger ones like the Beretta 22 S@W 22 and the target style Walther don't look as good but fits my hands better.

TRON

BulletToothTony
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2007
    Denham Springs
    Bought one from spanky last year, it is a fun little gun to shoot. Walmart ammo is cheap, never had one jam and its pretty accurate. I like it.

Last edited:

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    They are just plain fun. The older models had a few problems, but those have been resolved now, and if they purchase new from a store its nothing to worry about. Tell them to stay away from the models with the 5+" barrel with compensator, as I have seen reports of a few of them cracking the slide, due to the slide contacting the compensator upon closing. They are great for people (women/children especially) with smaller hands, due to their size. One reason they are popular is that the barrel threading adapter is like $25 if you want to mount a suppressor, instead of having to purchase a new aftermarket barrel. The browning buckmark and Ruger MK series are better quality and more accurate, but even so, I find I shoot the P22 more often.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I've put 1,000 rounds through mine in the past year. I strip clean it every couple months. Besides that I just add a little Hoppe's #9every now and again to keep things fresh, and I've never had a problem.

One thing to note, I'd recommend that EYE PROTECTION is worn while firing. It has no real constant projected path for the brass. They'll go right, up, even backwards sometimes.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My daughter and son in law are going to look at .22 pistols, and are considering the Walther P22. I don't have any experience with this gun, so if anybody has one or has any experience, please chime in.

Thanks
    I worked extensively at a gunstore in MI and my honest opinion is that is junk: prone to failure to feed/extract. It does feel good in the hand but it's a poor pistol in my estimation. I've not read anyone else's experience so they may differ.

It's also a "rat pistol" which may be better than nothing but not by much.

MALIBU12

Rating - 100%
    71   0   2
    Sep 16, 2008
    slidell
    I worked extensively at a gunstore in MI and my honest opinion is that is junk: prone to failure to feed/extract. It does feel good in the hand but it's a poor pistol in my estimation. I've not read anyone else's experience so they may differ.

Over 3000 rounds with two cleanings and no ftf or fte and its pretty accurate suppressed . Thats my experience but my pistol is a little over a year old .

MALIBU12

Rating - 100%
    71   0   2
    Sep 16, 2008
    slidell

Are these EARLY guns?

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA

Hmm. I have many thousands of rounds fired through mine, and it works flawlessly, even when caked up with .22 poop from suppressed shooting. The earlier ones like I noted above had problems with the magazines, which has been corrected. I don't recall off the top of my head what the letter codes are, but new ones on the shelf should be GTG, unless it is new, very old stock.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I have one and it's pretty tight. I think I prefer my S&W .22 revolver more, but I think that's because it's a revolver :D

Wish they had higher capacity mags, though.

OveractiveBrain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Problems for Novices. If you are going to train some one and want them warmed up with a 22, the Walther P22 is NOT the way to go. If you do not have a strong grip and knowledge behind a pistol, a weak grip causes double feeds like crazy. It is better to start with a ruger 22 for training some one, say, a youth or your female companion. Ive had it jam up on novice shooters I was trying to show a good time.

Great Plinker. If you have shot many guns before, then you can flawlessly fire 100s of rounds through this gun at a time. It makes it fun to shoot. Without the extension barrel, accuracy is lost after 10 feet, so it does have its limits. If you're lining up cans or some flip targets for some quick plinking, awesome. If you are trying to do some real defensive pistol action, useless.

Annoying to Dissasemble If you lose the tool to fit the slide bar/spring through the slide it can be a little obnoxious. If you are used to Glocks and Berretas, you are going to be frustrated. If you are used to 1911s, youll find it easy to take apart.

Overall. In experienced hands, a great plinker. Dont get this to start some one on pistol shooting, since it will jam if they are inexperienced.

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    +1 on a Ruger Mark or Browning Buckmark, I got rid of both a P22 and a Sig Mosquito picked up a Slab Side Target Competition Model Mark III and its like day to night comparison, love the weight on it being solid metal and if you ever decided to upgrade or customize it parts are available unlike the P22 or Mosquito, for a back yard cheap fun I would go with the Beretta or S&W .22, Just my .02 if you want to spend $400 go with a Ruger.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom