Opinions wanted for complete upper - ready to buy

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAUC

running from safety
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    NOLA
    So, I have been patiently waiting for one of the PSA uppers I liked to be restocked. It's now in stock, but I just want a few final opinions from yall.

I have pretty much decided on a PSA upper. I got their lower through the group buy, and have already built it with one of their parts kits. I have looked at all of the other manufacturers but have not really seen anything that made them stand out over PSA for me. Building this rifle mostly for plinking and HD.

The two I am looking at are:
    16'' 223 Wylde Stainless Steel Upper,http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...s/psa-16-223-wylde-stainless-steel-upper.html
    16'' Hammer Forged Midlength Upper, http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...psa-16-hammer-forged-midlength-upperpper.html.

I am leaning more towards the SS wylde upper since it might be a little more versatile. Price difference is only $20, so that doesn't really matter.

Any opinions for either, or even another, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I like the barrel on the 2nd one linked, but the mid-length gas system on the first.

I am not a fan of stainless barrels, though. If you forced me to choose, I would go with the 2nd one.

DAUC

running from safety
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    NOLA
    I like the barrel on the 2nd one linked, but the mid-length gas system on the first.

I am not a fan of stainless barrels, though. If you forced me to choose, I would go with the 2nd one.

Any particular gripes with Stainless barrels? didn't seem like it would make much difference wear-wise. Chrome lined is nice though. I don't care that the barrel is not black if that is what you mean. I am honestly searching for opinions either way. I do not plan on doing this again any time soon (.22 pistol,nfa stuff possibly next).

And what is the differences in the gas systems? you would prefer carbine? Only reason I am trying to stick with mid length is I have a cmmg .22 and it is midlength, and already have a few handguards.

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Any particular gripes with Stainless barrels? didn't seem like it would make much difference wear-wise. Chrome lined is nice though. I don't care that the barrel is not black if that is what you mean. I am honestly searching for opinions either way. I do not plan on doing this again any time soon (.22 pistol,nfa stuff possibly next).

And what is the differences in the gas systems? you would prefer carbine? Only reason I am trying to stick with mid length is I have a cmmg .22 and it is midlength, and already have a few handguards.

I have found CL barrels clean up easier. Also, some stainless barrels are very soft (RC 19-22) and it just bothers me. More of a baseless mental thing. Stainless also has a higher coefficient of friction than either CL or un-lined Chromoly. This means extraction could potentially suffer.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Looks they are both midlength.
    I have the stainless with a railed gasblock and YHM quad rail but if I was buying right now I would probably go with the hammer forged barrel for just $20 more.

DAUC

running from safety
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    NOLA
    I was trying to stay with a mid-length gas system for a few reasons.

I know either would be good for my purposes. Just not sure if the 1/8 wylde hype is worth it. For basically the same price I do feel like I might get a little more for the money with the HF barrel though...

Any other opinions?

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    chf upper from Psa is probably the best upper in its class. (noveske along with many other big money ar manufacturers use the same Fn barrel 90% sure) I have built many Psa rifles and they are a great family business.

I am not trying to troll your post, but I have this upper on order. I will beat Psa's internet price.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jerry1090
    Top Bottom