Oprah

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jed

Bloody Foreigner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    I know there are a bunch of oprah fans here....so read this and weep :D

Goodbye and good riddance to Oprah Winfrey, an enemy of reason

Thank God Oprah Winfrey has brought her ghastly talk show to an end. So gargantuan is her ego, she announced two years ago that it would end this year. This was supposedly because 2011 was the show’s 25th anniversary. “Twenty-five years feels right in my bones, and it feels right in my spirit – it’s the perfect number, the exact right time,” she said. In truth, it was because the show’s ratings had been steadily declining for the last 10 years, plummeting from a peak of 14 million in 1998 to 7.3 million in 2008.

The final show itself rivalled the Academy Awards for pomposity and self-importance, with fawning A-list celebrities trying to outbid each other in lachrymose praise. Madona called her an “inspiration”, while Jada Pinkett, Will Smith’s wife, compared her to a “goddess”. Incredibly, Barack Obama did not appear via a video link from the White House to thank her for getting him elected President of the United States.

Okay, okay, she isn’t all bad. I will grudgingly concede that she deserves credit for promoting tolerance of lesbians and gays. She’s also one of America’s most generous philanthropists. Oprah’s Angel Network (everything must have her name stamped on it, from O: The Oprah Magazine to the Oprah Television Network) has raised over $80 million.

But the case for the prosecution is overwhelming. The Wall Street Journal coined the phrase “Oprahfication” to describe public confession as a form of therapy, surely one of the most stomach-churning spectacles of our age, particularly when indulged in by errant politicians or disgraced celebrities. Oprah, more than any other individual, is responsible for the hypocritical shame culture of contemporary America whereby no sin is considered so great that it can’t be expiated by a bout of public humiliation. Rosie O’Donnell could be caught snacking on a baby seal, but provided she broke down in tears on Oprah’s couch and linked her crime to some imagined childhood trauma all would be forgiven.

She is also America’s number one snake oil salesman. No self-help philosophy is so crapulous – so spectacularly vacuous – that she won’t enthusiastically promote it to her credulous fans. One of her most ringing endorsements was for a book called The Secret in which a self-help guru called Rhonda Byrne instructs readers on how to use the “Law of Attraction” to get what they want. The “secret” of the book is that if you wish for something hard enough, you’ll get it simply through the act of wishing. Nothing more is required. Byrne claims to have used this “secret” to improve her eyesight so that she no longer needs glasses. Byrne also asserts that food does not make you fat, only the belief that food makes you fat. (Alas, this “spiritual” dieting technique appears to have failed for Oprah.) Needless to say, as soon as Oprah started praising this fatuous collection of New Age gobbledegook on her show, The Secret shot straight to the top of the New York Times bestseller list.

Above all, it is Oprah’s incontinent sentimentality that I find so objectionable, the elevation of ersatz emotion over any critical thought. For Oprah, the only test of veracity worth the name is whether something “feels” true, as though our initial emotional response to something – whether a prospective lover, a spiritual belief system or a political leader – is a more reliable guide than a careful sifting of the evidence. In a modern democratic society like America, which is crying out for informed public discussion about a whole range of critical issues, Oprah’s constant attempts to undermine reason and rationality make her one of the most destructive figures of our age.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tobyyoung/100088655/goodbye-and-good-riddance-to-oprah-winfrey/

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I never understood the obsession with this woman.

How anyone could let a TV talkshow host influence their lives to the extent of some of her drones/followers have is.....astonishing.:dunno:

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    I never understood the obsession with this woman.

How anyone could let a TV talkshow host influence their lives to the extent of some of her drones/followers have is.....astonishing.:dunno:

Ask fans of Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity... ;)

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Ask fans of Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity... ;)

No point. I'm sure most of them wouldn't care for her either. :D

(I know what you're saying. :)
    And I tend to agree. I believe it's okay to enjoy a talkshow- just not to the point that people stop thinking for themselves. :dunno:)

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    I'm just a grumpy guy that thinks most people of all walks of life tend to let others do their thinking for them. :/

I didn't mind Oprah so much until she actually admitted and literally said she wants Obama to win -because- he's black and that the nation needs it. I can understand where she's coming from, and the temptation she would feel, knowing her origins and where she grew up and where she came from. Maybe not understand, by sympathize. I can see it'd be damned hard to put aside objectivity and vote for the black dude because he's black and it -would- be an incredible milestone but... I lost any respect I had remaining for her then.

crippy02

Woodsman and Father
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Saint Francisville
    Never had any respect for this woman. She is very opinionated, which I don't mind until she starts to tell me my opinion is wrong or evil because it doesn't line up with hers. I think her show has enslaved several generations of weak-minded women, many of whom have been able to see that there is more out there than her pro-Obama crap. I am glad she's leaving the show, and...is it wrong I'm tickled to death that her network isn't doing well?

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Dude over 25 years of her crap, that's just the tip of the Racist Iceberg for her.

Now unto Whoopi!

Now I'd LOVE to see her go away. The stupidity constantly spewing from the mouth of The World's Ugliest Woman is unbearable.

SlackJawedCajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    1416886_o.gif

Top Bottom