Optics - new article - price's corner

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 300 Win Mag

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Picayune, Mississippi
    PRICE'S CORNER - OPTICS
    By: Mike Price

http://ammoguide.com/?article=pricescorner/130601

78809e4d.jpg

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    "A hunter's scoped rifle should never be used to glass animals looking for details to determine if it is legal game no matter what your hunting conditions or situation is like"

I disagree. Typical binoculars are 8x or 10x magnification. This allows for wider field of view making it easier to find game as well as providing a more stable image due to their mid range magnification. Many variable powered optics have 12-16x on the top end or more. This can provide a better view of the size of game or antlers and in some situations qualify if the game is legal or not. Or to determine if the animal is of trophy status to harvest or to pass on the shot waiting for something larger.

I agree that a loaded rifle should never be used for glassing not knowing the target, but once the target is 100% identified as game then taking a closer look with a higher magnification optic at my disposal only makes common sense.

Hiking the Rockies solo you can only carry so much gear. A good pair of binoculars and an ELR rifle with a 4-16x S&B is my kit. The spotting scope stays in the truck.

Last edited:

300 Win Mag

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Picayune, Mississippi
    "A hunter's scoped rifle should never be used to glass animals looking for details to determine if it is legal game no matter what your hunting conditions or situation is like"

I disagree. Typical binoculars are 8x or 10x magnification. This allows for wider field of view making it easier to find game as well as providing a more stable image due to their mid range magnification. Many variable powered optics have 12-16x on the top end or more. This can provide a better view of the size of game or antlers and in some situations qualify if the game is legal or not. Or to determine if the animal is of trophy status to harvest or to pass on the shot waiting for something larger.

I agree that a loaded rifle should never be used for glassing not knowing the target, but once the target is 100% identified as game then taking a closer look with a higher magnification optic at my disposal only makes common sense.

Hiking the Rockies solo you can only carry so much gear. A good pair of binoculars and an ELR rifle with a 4-16x S&B is my kit. The spotting scope stays in the truck.

I understand your disagreeing but respectfully you are wrong. You should never use a scoped rifle even it you unloaded it because one day you will think you have and in essence you haven't due to all that is taking place so fast at times and the excitement involved - and then a mistake could be made. Secondly, I have hiked all over the mountains in Colorado and especially in Arizona on 6 and 7 day spot and stalks hunts humping it every day and never had a problem with carrying my larger set of binoculars and tripod for setting up and using it to spot across great distances. Once again, there is no excuse for using your scoped rifle until you have identified the game with your binoculars or a spotting scope when out west and you should never do it in eastern woods hunting.

Last edited:

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    I understand your disagreeing but respectfully you are wrong. You should never use a scoped rifle even it you unloaded it because one day you will think you have and in essence you haven't due to all that is taking place so fast at times and the excitement involved - and then a mistake could be made. Secondly, I have hiked all over the mountains in Colorado and especially in Arizona on 6 and 7 day spot and stalks hunts humping it every day and never had a problem with carrying my larger set of binoculars and tripod for setting up and using it to spot across great distances. Once again, there is no excuse for using your scoped rifle until you have identified the game with your binoculars or a spotting scope when out west and you should never do it in eastern woods hunting.

and i honestly think it should be illegal to take a shot a game animals past 300 yards unless you are specifically licensed and tested.
    1) few people outside of long range shooters/military trained are skilled enough to read wind, in the open at that range, not on a bermed range with flags.
    2) few people have shot enough $2-$5ea bullets to even be proficient at 200 yards much less 600. a box of ammo a year is NOT enough.
    3) few people even know how far 600 yards is.

i agree you shouldnt randomly scope an area with your rifle. I hunt on family land. when I see a deer/hog I pick up my rifle and look at the deer/hog and take the shot when i see it. or do you mean use binoculars to see if i get a shot, hope it stands still and then grab my gun? the excitement of transitioning from binoculars to a rifle exists too....

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow

I made it quite clear that the game has been identified with other means. Specificaly either eye sight or binoculars so there is no danger at that point of mistaken target identity. So respectfully I am not wrong, neither are you. It is a matter of opinion. I have no problem pointing a scoped rifle at game animals to determine size and or legality. To reiterate I DO NOT condone "glassing" or searching / just looking for game which could mean pointing a weapon at something you are not willing to destroy.

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    I made it quite clear that the game has been identified with other means. Specificaly either eye sight or binoculars so there is no danger at that point of mistaken target identity. So respectfully I am not wrong, neither are you. It is a matter of opinion. I have no problem pointing a scoped rifle at game animals to determine size and or legality. To reiterate I DO NOT condone "glassing" or searching / just looking for game which could mean pointing a weapon at something you are not willing to destroy.

i agree

300 Win Mag

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Picayune, Mississippi

Sorry, I did not pay attention to that line, once again sorry for the oversight and since you were trying to get across that the game has already been identified then I agree with your analogy.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom