Options for temporary gun storage away from home?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    Ok, so the wife and I will be traveling soon for a few days out of the country, and I'd like to move my guns out of the house while we are away. I don't really want to take them to family for multiple reasons, and that made me wonder if there was an option of a "rent a space" for guns somewhere locally (New Orleans-ish). Has anyone run into a similar need, and what solution did you come up with? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

BMN

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Any place that advertised that they would store weapons like a "Gun Storage" business would be a constant target for criminals. Not to mention that anyone who keeps the weapons longer than 24 hours "officially" would need an FFL to take posession of them or store them.

You might as well move some safes into a multi-level indoor climate controlled storage building in a unit on an upper floor. I would recommend masking the safes in a refrigerator box or something while moving them in.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Earlier this year when my parents went to Canada for a few days, they dropped a couple guns off near the border to have them serviced/cleaned, and "took a few days" to come pick them up.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    God I hate tapatalk sometimes, and I really hate AT&T.

In summary of a much more detailed response, "thanks all for the info, it's very helpful".

I hope AT&T falls into a black pit of their own substandard coverage.

LouisianaGunny

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 24, 2014
    Hammond, Louisiana
    If they're handguns to to the bank and rent a suitably sized safe deposit box.

Dirty

Might want to advise the bank PRIOR to walking in with a bunch of guns!

I agree, drop them off for cleaning abd take your time picking them up. Most of us have a 30 pickup period after notification of services completed. They will be logged in the Gunsmiths A/D book and if they did get stolen, the ATF would know because of the reports we would file. Also, the Gunsmiths insurance would likely cover the value of them.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Do they come with ammo? :)

Seriously, there was a vault place on the corner of vets and clearview that used to advertise storage for firearms.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Might want to advise the bank PRIOR to walking in with a bunch of guns!

I agree, drop them off for cleaning abd take your time picking them up. Most of us have a 30 pickup period after notification of services completed. They will be logged in the Gunsmiths A/D book and if they did get stolen, the ATF would know because of the reports we would file. Also, the Gunsmiths insurance would likely cover the value of them.

The cleaning option sounds best.

If you are going to go with a safebox at a bank though, I would recommend not telling them. Bankers cannot ask you what is in your safebox and we really aren't supposed to know. Just go in the little closed room with a bag and leave the room with the bag being lighter. It is best for both parties if what is in the box is not communicated. Everyone is happy in that case. If you were to inform the bank that you were coming in with a gun, a box of gold, or whatever, it could just make everything a little uncomfortable. Just my $0.02 :P

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    I'm surprised that one of you long-time BS members in the New Orleans area hasn't already offered to secure the weapons as a friendly favor. I would think that a member that's been on here at least a couple of years and with positive feedback might be a likely candidate. Of course I'd recommend a signed agreement to go with the deal.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I'm surprised that one of you long-time BS members in the New Orleans area hasn't already offered to secure the weapons as a friendly favor. I would think that a member that's been on here at least a couple of years and with positive feedback might be a likely candidate. Of course I'd recommend a signed agreement to go with the deal.

You know I thought that too until I put myself in those shoes. I would be hesitant to store a bunch of guns for anyone other than my closest friends. If it were just a couple guns then maybe, but I wouldn't feel comfortable unless I could come out of pocket and pay to replace any of them immediately if I needed to. What if someone broke in and stole them? Would my insurance company cover them and mine? What exactly are his guns worth? What if he noticed a scratch that he never noticed before? Whether or not I'd be legally responsible for any of it, I would feel morally responsible for all of them until he picked them up again.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    You know I thought that too until I put myself in those shoes. I would be hesitant to store a bunch of guns for anyone other than my closest friends. If it were just a couple guns then maybe, but I wouldn't feel comfortable unless I could come out of pocket and pay to replace any of them immediately if I needed to. What if someone broke in and stole them? Would my insurance company cover them and mine? What exactly are his guns worth? What if he noticed a scratch that he never noticed before? Whether or not I'd be legally responsible for any of it, I would feel morally responsible for all of them until he picked them up again.

^ this. I wouldn't want that liability. We could be talking about thousands of dollars worth of guns here. If your house burns down, then what?

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    ^ this. I wouldn't want that liability. We could be talking about thousands of dollars worth of guns here. If your house burns down, then what?

This. Plumbing disaster, storm, robbery... I very rarely borrow anything I can't afford to replace. If I do, it is from someone I know very well, that will accept payments to replace said item over time. I would feel the same about someone's guns.

I am sure you could work out a deal with the LGS to store them for a bit.

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    I believe the security center at clearview and vets does firearm storage, if memory is correct it is a former bank building with 24 hr. security.

Top Bottom