Ordering a gun?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    I'm curious I'm looking for a very specific gun that no one seems to have in stock. Is it ok to ask my local dealer if he could order it for me etc? Not too sure on etiquette in this situation and what is the norm. PS> for the curious it is a blued Ruger Vaquero 5.5" barrel in 357.;)

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    I'm curious I'm looking for a very specific gun that no one seems to have in stock. Is it ok to ask my local dealer if he could order it for me etc? Not too sure on etiquette in this situation and what is the norm. PS> for the curious it is a blued Ruger Vaquero 5.5" barrel in 357.;)

If he can't/won't order one for you, find another dealer.
    Here it is at Bud's Gun Shop online:
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/14331
    You can order it online yourself and have it shipped to your dealer.
    (Most dealers will accept shipments from online vendors and charge you only a transfer fee...)

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Grabagun.com is located just outside Dallas. They charge $5.95 per gun for two day shipping, my order arrived in one day in BR. Find a local FFL and order it. You'll get a much better price on the gun and you don't have to run around town.

jbfetty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2016
    New Orleans, LA
    To order online like this do you need a state specific drivers license? For example I have a Missouri license and have been wanting a glock 43. Can I just order it through the website and have it shipped to a FFL in New Orleans? If the Missouri license doesn't work, will a military ID? I'm not on PCS orders so I know that route won't work.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Ordered many a gun. Couple ways to do it.

Stop by your local gun shop. Have them find the exact make and model you are looking for. Put 50% down and wait. When it comes in pay the other 50%. Fill out the 4473, get the NICS check done, and you're out the door. That's how I got my Ruger Precision rifle in only 4 months.

Another way is to use Davidsons Gallery of Guns feature. Drill down with their search engine then find the exact model you are looking for. Once you find the gun you are drooling over click Instant Quote. From the zip code you entered in the search engine it will find gun dealers nearby with the quoted price. Pick the dealer you want. Place a down payment with Davidsons. The gun will be shipped to the dealer. Pay the balance at the dealer. Once in the usual 4473 and NICS checks apply.

For hoots I went to the Davidsons and searched for a Ruger Vaquero 5.5" barrel in 357. They had 11 in stock. Prices ranged from $599.99 to $627.77 from my local dealers.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/

Last edited:

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    To order online like this do you need a state specific drivers license? For example I have a Missouri license and have been wanting a glock 43. Can I just order it through the website and have it shipped to a FFL in New Orleans? If the Missouri license doesn't work, will a military ID? I'm not on PCS orders so I know that route won't work.
    Same rules apply as if you were buying from a local FFL (where the transfer is made), only difference is you are only paying the FFL for the transfer.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sulzer

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Any dealer should be more than happy to order a particular firearm for you. You have to be a resident of Louisiana to purchase a handgun in New Orleans. Here is a link to the form 4473. Scroll down to page 4 and read the instructions for Question 2 and also look at page 5 instructions for question 20.b. to see if you qualify. If you're looking for a dealer in NOLA give Kenny at Meplat Group in Metairie a call.

Last edited:

jbfetty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2016
    New Orleans, LA
    Any dealer should be more than happy to order a particular firearm for you. You have to be a resident of Louisiana to purchase a handgun in New Orleans. Here is a link to the form 4473. Scroll down to page 4 and read the instructions for Question 2 and also look at page 5 instructions for question 20.b. to see if you qualify. If you're looking for a dealer in NOLA give Kenny at Meplat Group in Metairie a call.

Thanks! That answers my question. Still the same old no go for me. I'm on PTDY so still no luck for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbfetty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2016
    New Orleans, LA
    It's not worth it if I'm only here temporarily. I will have to switch over my car insurance, re-switch IDs when I leave, etc. It's just too much of a hassle and will end up costing too much to make not purchasing the firearm worth it.

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    I appreciate the info! I usually can find what I want within a hr drive but this one is a little different. I've always wanted a single action revolver and finally narrowed it down to this. Just wasn't sure on the whole not in stock ordering process. Sounds like it is not a big deal at all.

xx v0odo0 xx

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    I appreciate the info! I usually can find what I want within a hr drive but this one is a little different. I've always wanted a single action revolver and finally narrowed it down to this. Just wasn't sure on the whole not in stock ordering process. Sounds like it is not a big deal at all.

I think I've bought more guns through online transfer to local FFLs than from FFLs themselves. It is nothing personal, just sometimes there are limited editions or brands that your dealer may not have at the time you visit.

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    My local gun shop I like to deal with will order for me. But I found I can get a better deal by ordering from the Ruger website, and still deal with my favorite dealer. I just find the gun I like (last one was a GP100 4" 357) and use the "find a dealer" button on the Ruger website. That takes you to the Gallery of Guns website, which my dealer is a member, and there is an offer there of a discounted price. I just place the order, use a CC to pay a deposit, and a few days later my dealer calls me to tell me they gun is in. I go do the FFL and pay the balance on the gun, done! Actually, the last time I ordered it and the next day I went in and told them I'd ordered it, so they did the FFL then, and when the gun came in that was all taken care of. They love it, they don't have to deal with ordering the gun or anything else. They just do the FFL and take my money, easiest sell they can imagine I'm sure. The discount isn't a lot, about 2% off what they quoted me for it originally, but I'll take it and they didn't seem to mind.

Last edited:

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    I think I've bought more guns through online transfer to local FFLs than from FFLs themselves. It is nothing personal, just sometimes there are limited editions or brands that your dealer may not have at the time you visit.

My local gun shop I like to deal with will order for me. But I found I can get a better deal by ordering from the Ruger website, and still deal with my favorite dealer. I just find the gun I like (last one was a GP100 4" 357) and use the "find a dealer" button on the Ruger website. That takes you to the Gallery of Guns website, which my dealer is a member, and there is an offer there of a discounted price. I just place the order, use a CC to pay a deposit, and a few days later my dealer calls me to tell me they gun is in. I go do the FFL and pay the balance on the gun, done! Actually, the last time I ordered it and the next day I went in and told them I'd ordered it, so they did the FFL then, and when the gun came in that was all taken care of. They love it, they don't have to deal with ordering the gun or anything else. They just do the FFL and take my money, easiest sell they can imagine I'm sure. The discount isn't a lot, about 2% off what they quoted me for it originally, but I'll take it and they didn't seem to mind.

I do both of these examples as well. I cant remember the last time I bought a firearm straight from the dealer himself. 99.9% of what I buy is bought online and shipped to my ffl. Easy for me, easy for him.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Top Bottom