Ordering Benchmade Griptilian. Questions!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    So I decided I want a good, quality knife. Benchmades have appealed to me most lately. I noticed you can custom order a Griptilian and it looks right up my alley, so I'm putting money aside for it now.

I decided on a drop point blade. The sheepsfoot looks nice but I wouldn't like the thumb hole opening and while the tanto is the best looking (IMO) I've read its harder to sharpen properly and that the drop point is a better choice for general usage. I plan on using this for day to day things. Opening letters, boxes, bags, plastic packages that products come in, etc. Normal things.

Should I go with a serrated blade or a plain edge? Also, which material? I see you can pick from 4 but IDK which one is the most suitable choice.

It doesn't really matter, but I have a new Lansky sharpening kit with all 5 stones that it will be sharpened with when needed.

Thanks.

http://www.benchmade.com/customize/default.aspx

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    So I decided I want a good, quality knife. Benchmades have appealed to me most lately. I noticed you can custom order a Griptilian and it looks right up my alley, so I'm putting money aside for it now.

I decided on a drop point blade. The sheepsfoot looks nice but I wouldn't like the thumb hole opening and while the tanto is the best looking (IMO) I've read its harder to sharpen properly and that the drop point is a better choice for general usage. I plan on using this for day to day things. Opening letters, boxes, bags, plastic packages that products come in, etc. Normal things.

Should I go with a serrated blade or a plain edge? Also, which material? I see you can pick from 4 but IDK which one is the most suitable choice.

It doesn't really matter, but I have a new Lansky sharpening kit with all 5 stones that it will be sharpened with when needed.

Thanks.

http://www.benchmade.com/customize/default.aspx

If you want to sharpen yourself I would definately go with the plain edge. However benchmade offers a really nice sharpening services for 5 bucks. 95% of my blades are plain edge because I sharpen them myself. In regards to the material. N680 is a saltwater steel meaning it will not rust comparable to the H2 spyderco utilizes. However it is softer and will not hold an edge as well as the other steels offered. D2 is a tool steel that is semi stainless so will require a little more upkeep then the 154CM which is a stainless steel that is harder then the N680 but not as hard as the S30v which is also stainless.

So all in all I would say if your going to be using it mostly around salt water = N680
    If you want stainless with easer resharpening that is less likely to micro chip and more likely to roll, however will need to be resharpended more frequently = 154cm
    If you want a harder edge that will require less sharpening but is also more brittle so might microchip = S30v
    If you want a steel that will slightly out perform the S30v however will require more maintence due to it not being stainless go with the D2

Last edited:

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    Great info. I did indeed plan on sharpening myself. Benchmade does not cover sharpening the serrated part of the blade according to the website, so that part wouldn't really matter anyways.

N680 doesn't apply to me as far as salt water goes. I like the 154 option since it's no additional charge but the D2 doesn't sound bad either.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    That's a little higher than most stores have them for but for only $20 extra spring for the s30v. It is much better.

I agree for the most part, but if he's learning to sharpen himself then 154CM is a better option since it's much easier to sharpen and maintain the edge on....

As far as edge, stick with plain edge unless there is some reason you really need serrations...given the uses that you listed, I believe that a plain edged blade will serve you better and prove less-frustrating when learning to sharpen...

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    I am leaning towards the plain edge because I frequently have a Leatherman Super Tool 300 with me with a full length serrated blade on it.

Thanks guys. I will consider the 154 for ease of learning. If I like this one I may buy the mini with a nicer blade. We shall see.

Unspecified

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    I have a 710 in D2 ... Cannot recommend that steel and model enough. If you get D2 look into getting a bottle of Eezox knife care - 4 years near oceans and never a spot of rust.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    For only $20 more, I would certainly go with the S30V.

I've had blades in 154, D2 and S30V and I prefer the S30V & 154 to D2, but thats personal preference. D2 is harder to sharpen IMO.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    It's harder to sharpen, harder to dull too :)

S30V is harder to sharpen and harder to dull however most people don't say anything about hardness also meaning the steel is more brittle. Remember softer steels might need to be resharpened more often but they roll vs. chip. This is very important to me because I can just run my blade on a steel rod when it rolls. When it chips I end up having to take a stone to the blade possibly even have to reprofile.

Last edited:

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    That is the interesting thing about steels. No perfect steel just the best steel for what you want.

Sadly, it's all a trade off. A tank has to successfully blend mobility, firepower, and protection, but the more you add into one, the more you sacrifice another to balance the spectrum out; so it is with knife steels. Then again, what is the perfect steel? (Please make me a knife in one, William. :x:)

The Griptillian's a good blade; it seems to get glowing reviews from those that buy one.

As for the blade shape, the humble but venerable drop point will care for your daly cutting tasks quite well, be it peeling an apple, or slicing open an envelope; speaking to the type of edge, you already have a serrated blade, and unless you plan on cutting much rope, twine, and the like, the plain edge works fine. Cannot speak to either steel because of a lack of experience, but both are very quality. Tried a Lansky something-or-other, coffee mugs, patio furniture, crock sticks, but there's nothing like the Spyderco Shaprmaker with the diamond rods. It can sharpen darn near anything that has a point or an edge, even dental equipment and fishing hooks. The material Spyderco uses in the rods is quite unique, and unless you are looking to do something beyond either a fifteen or forty-degree edge, you're golden. There is a section in the bottom that allows the stones to lay flat and be used like a bench stone, and it does scissors.
    Use whatever works for you, OP.

(DISCLAMER: I''ve no affiliation with any knife maker whatsoever, save a few friends, and view all knives as either quality pieces for their intended uses, or anathemas worthy of being killed by fire, and then there's knife-like objects that masquerade as a knife; you get the point.)

ETA: Have used 154CM. Worked well. Forget what knife it was, but no doubt that Benchmade does the heat treat right, and has good quality control, along with choice materials used, so you should be fine. Where's chad when you need a Benchmade "enthusiast" (j/k, dude).

Last edited:

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    154cm is a great steel. I use a slightly better version cpm 154cm. Its a powdered steel and affects things like grain structure and growth during the heat treat process.

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    Thanks guys. I stopped by Bass Pro to handle a few. I think the Mini-Grip would be ideal. It's similar in size to the cheaper knives I've had and the flipper box cutter I carry at work. Once I get closer to ordering I'll stop and pick a steel.

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    Those prices are insane. If you don't want to put a custom picture on it, then I would suggest www.knifeworks.com. A 154 cm Mini-grip is around half the price of the Benchmade website.

Or knivestown.com. Call and ask; if they don't have it on the site, they can get it. Real cool guy runnin' the firm.
    Point being, you buy from the manufacturer, you pay the manufacturer's retail price. There's a reason why Benchmade's site talks about finding a dealer or going to a site like knivestown.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Or bladehq.

I like 154cm. Doesn't hold as long as s30v, but quite easy to toss across the sharpmaker occasionally and it's done.

If you like the minigrip, you should check out the minibarrage. Assisted opening version kinda. Thicker liners, and really nice blade. I switched from minigrip to it and love it.

Top Bottom