Oregon man jailed for collecting rainwater, Fined $1500

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana

Not surprised being Oregon.

Oregon:
    Drivers must yield to pedestrians who are standing on the sidewalk.
    One may not test their physical endurance while driving a car on a highway.
    It is illegal to place a container filled with human fecal matter on the side of any highway.
    Babies may not be carried on the running boards of a car.
    Drivers may not pump their own gas.
    A door on a car may not be left open longer than is necessary.
    An adult may not show a minor any piece of classical artwork which depicts sexual excitement.
    Dishes must drip dry.
    The *Peer Review Statute* prohibits you from finding out details of any written or oral discussion about your medical treatment.
    It is illegal to whisper *dirty* things in your lover’s ear during sex.
    Ice cream may not be eaten on Sundays.
    It is illegal to buy or sell marijuana, but it is legal to smoke it on your own property.
    One may not bathe without wearing *suitable clothing,*
    Canned corn is not to be used as bait for fishing.

City Laws in Oregon
    Beaverton: You must buy a $10 permit to be allowed to install a burglar alarm.
    Eugene: It is illegal to show movies or attend a car race on Sundays. It is legal to conduct a horse race or a symphony concert.
    Hood River: Juggling is strictly prohibited without a license.
    Klamath River: It’s illegal to walk down a sidewalk and knock a snakes head off with your cane.
    Marion: You cannot eat a doughnut and walk backwards on a city street.
    Ministers are forbidden from eating garlic or onions before delivering a sermon.
    Myrtle Creek: One may not box with a kangaroo.
    Portland: Shoelaces must be tied while walking down the street.
    It’s against the law for a wedding ceremony to be performed at a skating rink.
    People may not whistle underwater.
    You cannot wear roller skates in restrooms.
    No one may attempt to cause someone to think that their property may be subjected to *offensive physical contact*.
    Minors may not enter a room where a *social game* is being played.
    Trucks may not be parked on the street.
    Persons may not pass through a *traffic congestion thoroughfare* more than twice per night.
    Salem: Women may not wrestle in Salem.
    Springfield: It is illegal to own a reptile within the city limits, unless you are a school or city, as a pet.
    Stanfield: It is against the law for animals to have sex in the city limits.
    Cloth towel dispensers are banned from restrooms.
    No more than two people may share a single drink.
    Yamhill: It is illegal to predict the future.
    No one may allow their cellar door to remain open.

Friend of mine has a brother that lives in Oregon. He came down and we all went fishing. He told us all kinds of crazy laws they have while we fished out of Venice. Thought he was joking then I looked them up and found out he wasn't.http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/oregon

Last edited:

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    True that. But of course, possession of marijuana "for personal consumption" IS legal there.:rolleyes:

But what do you expect from a state that won't allow you to pump your own gas???

My dad was driving through Oregon one night on his way back to So Cal. He about clobbered some stupid kid that came running up behind him to pump his gas.

Some of the most gorgeous country I've seen in the continental US, though.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I may be wrong, but from what I have heard and read about this deal is that he went to get permits to put in the reservoirs, did not wait for the permits to be approved and dug them any way. Then the permits were denied (or something like that) and he was told to fill them back in, which he didn't. Again, it's bullspit and I dont think he should have to ask "permission" to dig what is essentially a large pond on his own land, but the case has kind of spun out of control and all the facts are not being put out there. :dunno:

Last edited:

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Here you go:

http://www.mnn.com/your-home/at-hom...million-gallons-of-illicit-rainwater-sentence

"Apparently, once upon a time, the state did indeed allow Harrington — code name: *Rain Man" — to collect water in his reservoirs. However, officials reversed their decision the same year, 2003, that the three permits were issued, citing a 1925 law that states the city of Medford holds all exclusive rights to "core sources of water" in the Big Butte Creek watershed and its tributaries.

Despite withdrawal of the permits, Harrington kept on defiantly collectin’ under the belief that the laws did not apply to his situation, adamant that the water was coming strictly from rain and snow melt and not from tributaries flowing into the Big Butte River as officials had claimed. Harrington tells CNSNews.com: "They issued me my permits. I had my permits in hand and they retracted them just arbitrarily, basically. They took them back and said, 'No, you can't have them.' So I've been fighting it ever since."

It gets even more messy with accusations of water diversion and a three-year bench probation issued against Harringon in 2007. In that case, Harrington plead guilty and agreed to open up the gates of his reservoirs only to close them back up again shortly thereafter.

Oregon Water Resources Department Deputy Director Tom Paul tells the Medford Mail Tribune: *Mr. Harrington has operated these three reservoirs in flagrant violation of Oregon law for more than a decade. What we're after is compliance with Oregon water law, regardless of what the public thinks of Mr. Harrington.*"

It looks like he had build dams and everything.

Last edited:

KvichakKing

Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Walker, LA
    I went to visit my son and his new wife in Portland in June and as I always do when visiting Oregon pumped my own gas and told the attendant to pound sand or call the cops.
    Oregon is nothing other than the northern province of California.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I was in Portland last month for the Crimson Trace Night 3-gun match. Well actually, I was in Bend, Oregon (which wasn't that bad) but was first stuck in Portland about 10 hours. What a nightmare! I was really starting to think I was in the Twilight Zone. The place really is a hippie haven. I stopped at a gas station and was just about tackled by the attendant (who looked one step above homeless) for trying to pump my own gas. "That's against the law!" he exclaimed. Whatever, man. That's just one story. It's absolutely the last place I would ever consider moving which is a shame because the scenery and weather was really nice.

Here are some more examples:
    http://www.knick-knack.com/rants/places/portland-oregon-sucks.html

Last edited:

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I was in Portland last month for the Crimson Trace Night 3-gun match. Well actually, I was in Bend, Oregon (which wasn't that bad) but was first stuck in Portland about 10 hours. What a nightmare! I was really starting to think I was in the Twilight Zone. The place really is a hippie haven. I stopped at a gas station and was just about tackled by the attendant (who looked one step above homeless) for trying to pump my own gas. "That's against the law!" he exclaimed. Whatever, man. That's just one story. It's absolutely the last place I would ever consider moving which is a shame because the scenery and weather was really nice.

Here are some more examples:
    http://www.knick-knack.com/rants/places/portland-oregon-sucks.html

I lived in Bend about 18 years ago. It was MUCH, MUCH smaller then.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I lived in Bend about 18 years ago. It was MUCH, MUCH smaller then.

The food and beer in Bend was really amazing. I did a lot of traveling this year and have been pretty disgusted with the food around the country. But I was really happy with the two dinners out I had in Bend!

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    The food and beer in Bend was really amazing. I did a lot of traveling this year and have been pretty disgusted with the food around the country. But I was really happy with the two dinners out I had in Bend!

My dad owned a house near Bend and due to some bad tenants and his being stationed over seas he was forced to sell. He got back right around what he bought it for so it was no big lost. Until he checked the prices our there 4 years later and they were around 400% higher than when we sold.

Top Bottom