ouch....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Saw that this morning and was gritting my teeth. I’ve probably touched off close to 1000 rounds of the BMG over the years in a few different rifles and not a blip. Vids like this underscore the need for extra care. When you have a BMG mishap it’s usually pretty big. I think the old cartridge designation was like 30-06x10 or something, lol.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    Saw this earlier as well. At 3:19 you see something fly out as he closes the bolt, could that have been associated with the explosion?

I saw that also. I replayed the video a few times and never could tell what it was.

It does happen when he closes the bolt but it doesnt look like its coming from the gun itself..it just kinda pops from no where.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Upon further review of the video, I see something flying forward, perhaps from the lower as it latches closed. It appears to be sprung and shoots at the table past the bipod then bounces up and downrange off the end of the table. If I had to guess I’d say the size of a .357 case. Aside from a locking pin, I can’t imagine what it may have been if it came from the rifle, but it seemed to rocket out the instant the lower clicked closed. No idea how that may have contributed to an explosion the way those guns are built. The breech cap houses the firing pin and the hammer is external to that.
    After hand loading the BMG I can’t imagine being able to actually load enough powder to more than double the pressure but I don’t know what powder was used and I’m not familiar with SLAP rounds. I wonder if our military ever booby loaded any 50 BMG rounds with explosive charges like they have done with small arms ammo in the Middle East.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    I was thinking the same thing. CIA use to load rounds with explosive charges then have them spread into the enemy supply chain. Makes me wonder how many of these have made it back into the USA via import.

This makes me want to throw away all of my mil surplus ammo. I had a gun blow up in my face once and no where near the damage this guy had.

Upon further review of the video, I see something flying forward, perhaps from the lower as it latches closed. It appears to be sprung and shoots at the table past the bipod then bounces up and downrange off the end of the table. If I had to guess I’d say the size of a .357 case. Aside from a locking pin, I can’t imagine what it may have been if it came from the rifle, but it seemed to rocket out the instant the lower clicked closed. No idea how that may have contributed to an explosion the way those guns are built. The breech cap houses the firing pin and the hammer is external to that.
    After hand loading the BMG I can’t imagine being able to actually load enough powder to more than double the pressure but I don’t know what powder was used and I’m not familiar with SLAP rounds. I wonder if our military ever booby loaded any 50 BMG rounds with explosive charges like they have done with small arms ammo in the Middle East.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I was thinking the same thing. CIA use to load rounds with explosive charges then have them spread into the enemy supply chain. Makes me wonder how many of these have made it back into the USA via import.

This makes me want to throw away all of my mil surplus ammo. I had a gun blow up in my face once and no where near the damage this guy had.
    I hear ya. It’s all relative too. Even though the BMG holds a lot more powder than most rifles we shoot, the gun is built a lot heavier than those guns. I’m just trying to imagine what it would take to run the pressures that high.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Just FYI, a SLAP round is a Saboted Light Armor Penetrator, basically a sub caliber penetrator made of tungsten with a polymer sabot around it, delivering much higher velocity than you can normally obtain with a bullet fired from the cartridge.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    More like sabot, a French shoe used to break equipment in the industrial revulsion. And from the looks of it that round he shot was the work of sabotage.

Just FYI, a SLAP round is a Saboted Light Armor Penetrator, basically a sub caliber penetrator made of tungsten with a polymer sabot around it, delivering much higher velocity than you can normally obtain with a bullet fired from the cartridge.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Yes. Much like the old accelerator rifle rounds. Just not familiar with them. I’m assuming the powder charge is that of, if not less than standard FMJ. There’s nothing about the round itself that should account for the increase in pressure to the extent mentioned. Being a sabot round, I suppose there’s a chance of the round leaving the sabot and possibly entering the barrel wrong and causing an obstruction. It’s too bad the guy hasn’t investigated further. I also can’t imagine any of those being included in the booby loads, as they were limited to munitions meant for the enemy combatants and the rifles they generally use, i.e. 7.62x39. Those loads were reportedly quite successful at taking out the rifle and often times the person shooting it. Nevertheless, I’ve removed them from my want list. I’ll just make do with the old dusty armor piercing incendiary rounds. I don’t mind a little slap now and then when the wife gets frisky but not like that.

Slapped him? Damn near took his head off!

Last edited:

superscar17

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    Broussard
    yall are right - 3:19 something definitely comes off - almost looks like one of the sabot braces ... thats the only thing which would be that color. If thats the case - the projectile would have been off-center and caused the blowout whilst still leaving the barrel.

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    It does happen when he closes the bolt but it doesnt look like its coming from the gun itself..it just kinda pops from no where.

What bolt, I saw the video yesterday and the "bolt" is more of a screw on cap or breech. From after accident picture it looks to me as though those threads were not massive enough, at least for an overload . Knowing nothing about that gun, I am thinking there is a short firing pin in that cap, and a hammer or striker in the butt stock assembly.

Guy in second video did bring up a couple of possibly good ideas, but really comes across as a nut case.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom