Out of state carry?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Critter Gitter

Relocating
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    Forest Grove, OR
    So im coming for a visit for 2 weeks to Louisiana in April. Im from Oregon and have a ccw for this state. I dont care much for traveling around without a weapon but dont want to get in any trouble while im there also. So my question is, Will law enforcment give me any crap about carrying with an out of state ccw? In oregon they have a list of states that honor Oregon ccw, but Louisiana is not one that is on the list. Oh by the way I wont be spending much time in Nalins.

L

Louisiana Shooter

The reason that your permit is not honored here is that Oregon refuses to honor Louisiana permits. Our state has tried on several occasions to get Oregon to reciprocate with us and your state officials have repeatedly refused.

Louisiana wants to honor your permit. We just can't because Oregon doesn't honor our CHL's.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    The laws are very, very different here; they are based on the "Napoleonic Code", with some adjustment to stay in line with the US Constitution.
    Most LEO's don't keep up with the reciprocity agreement status and wouldn't bother you. But, there is a risk.
    Also, while OC is and always has been legal, some local P.D.'s refuse to follow the law and may give you a hassle. This is especially true here in Chocolate City (formerly known as New Orleans).
    Automobile "carry" is pretty much legal and allowed all over.
    The legal advice from a site like this may be worth what you have paid for it.
    My advice is to do whatever you need to in order to stay safe; if challenged, take the tack of "Gee, officer, I sure am sorry. I am just a TOURIST here and have been hearing how dangerous it has been; I thought my permit would cover this. What should I do now?" Our good new DA has his hands full dealing with really bad folks and rogue officials. I really doubt that he would accept a charge of a tourist carrying on a non-recip other state's permit.
    Chocolate City lives on TOURISM and the cops have been told over and over to assist TOURISTS. Most LEO's I know are primarily interested in whether you may be a threat to them or to the public. Good luck in LA !
    leVieux

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    hunter1994
    Top Bottom