Out of state resident taking getting LA CCW?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    New Orleans, Lafayette, and SC
    I am a resident of South Carolina at the moment, but in a year and 2 months I will be 21. If I remember correctly, I can take the CCW course up to a year in advance before applying for it, meaning that in a few months I would be elligible to take the class. I am a South Carolina resident, but I go to school and am in LA for the majority of my time. Would it be best to get an out of state LA CCW? Also, do I have to take the class in South Carolina, or is it possible to take it here in Louisiana?

Thanks,

Stephen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Hmm, I thought LA did. Well, scratch that idea then. Looks like I will be getting one in SC then.

One more question though, In the future, I plan on changing my residency back to LA, how long would I have to wait until I could apply for an LA CCW?

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Hmm, I thought LA did. Well, scratch that idea then. Looks like I will be getting one in SC then.

One more question though, In the future, I plan on changing my residency back to LA, how long would I have to wait until I could apply for an LA CCW?

Q. How long do I have to live in Louisiana before I am eligible for a permit?

A. You must reside in Louisiana for six months prior to submitting your application.

[L.R.S. 40:1379.3 (C) (3)]

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    If I were to change my State of residency, I would get a non-res from a State that offers one before hand, so that I had one while I wait out the transition time.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Couple things.

1. I would advise against the non-resident, from places like FL and Utah, because there is serious probability that these type of non-resident permits will not be recognized in Louisiana in the case of LA residents. Also, these states are about 1 year behind on their permits. Not saying you shouldn't, but not if you plan to use it in lieu of a LA> By the time you got it, you would already have your LA one. It is a good thing to do as a back up for instances like LAC is referring to.

2. You must take the class in LA by a LA certified instructor. You cannot take a similar class in another state. It must be by a LA certified and registered instructor.

3. You are correct. You could take the class in LA up to one year before you apply, but keep in mind the 6 month residency rule. I would come take it a couple months before you move and you should be good to go.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Thanks for the replies guys, got all the answers to my questions.

Not sure when I am going to be switching my residency back to LA, it could be next year, could be 5 years from now. When I do switch though, I will know what to do.

Once again, thanks for the replies.

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    If you go the FL non res way, FYI mine took 7 months. My Utah non res only took 2 months and LA took 2 months. What i did was i went and got my DL in LA and printed off my last 6 months of entergy bills and that was good enough to get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom