P228 Weak Ejection

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I was shooting my 1990 P228 today. It did fine and I had no failures. However it's now ejection brass almost straight up. I say almost b/c in about 1 in 10 times the brass case would land right on top of my head. It's distracting. I'm wondering if this could be an early sign that it's time to replace the springs? As far as I know these are the original springs. It was a Zurich Police trade-in I picked up several years ago. VERY dirty internals but appeared to have been fired almost never.

Dave

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I had that happen with the P228 I was issued when i got on the force. It did it from day one though. I could look down the line and see several of them doing the same things. Said screw it and traded it to the armory for a P220.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I've had this one for years. I usually wear a hat. Has it been doing since I got it? I don't think so. But I wouldn't swear to it on a stack of bibles or anything.

Dave

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    There is no ejector spring...or extractor spring, for that matter. The extractor is a tensioned part, like a true 1911. Its either binding because of crud, etc., or it needs replacing.

The problem with those stamped slides is, once you knock out the double roll pin that holds everything together, you need to replace them with new pins. The old pins can be re-used, but they WILL begin 'walking' (working their way out of the slide) on you.

So, buy yourself several pair of those pins, remove the head block and extractor, clean everything thoroughly, and try it. If it still displays the erratic/improper ejection, time for a new extractor.

Might as well replace the recoil, trigger bar, and decocker springs while you're at it.

You do know to "oppose" the double head block pins, right?

I've had the block out before and replaced both pins at the same time. When I got it the previous user much of just oiled it. A LOT. The entire block was just encased in dirt. So I should replace the extractor too? I'm stupid right now and was calling the extractor the ejector. The ejector is fine and is in place. After I realized my mistake I attempted to remove the question. But you were too fast for me. :)

When I put the roll pins in the last time I believe I put the open parts of the roll pins opposite to each other. But thanks for refreshing my memory I had forgotten that detail since then.

Dave

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    We had consistent problems with our M11s if we didn't swap recoil springs every 5k rounds.

That's what I was sitting here wondering. The spent cases were extracting from the chamber fine. Do you think I should just replace the recoil spring and see if that corrects the problem before going after the extractor?

Dave

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    So even if the recoil spring fixes the current issue, I should plan on changing the extractor, trigger bar spring, and firing pin spring in the very near future anyway? I think Top Gun Supply as a spring pack that includes everything but the extractor in it.

Dave

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    I'm not following the logic in a weak recoil spring leading to weak ejection. In my mind, a weak recoil spring increases slide velocity which in turn causes stronger ejection.

:confused:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Ordered everything from Sig. They charged $14 for shipping on orders < $100 but was free for > $100. So I got another too expensive magazine for it too in order to get the total above $100 That's right $119 dollars for the springs, extractor, two roll pins, and a magazine. Maybe I'll have to shoot it in production division a couple of times.

dave

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom