Paintball vs. Airgun? Pros & Cons?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shannahan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA

So I'm new to all things shooting related, but after having shot a few times I'm hooked. I figure to shoot anything would be fun & since I liked shooting outdoors better than at a range I'm considering investing in some other gun related stuff (less lethal)! I have never shot either a paintball gun or an airsoft gun. I have an eight year old son who begs to do paintball each year when he goes away to camp but I've not let him yet (afraid someone will shoot his eye out I guess). I did recently buy a BB gun & we have a blast with it! When I go to Academy there seems to be a large inventory for both airsoft & paintball! And they are made to look like real guns which is super cool! Basically, since I haven't got a clue about either, I'm looking
    for pro's & con's: convenience, cost, kid friendly, ease of use, availability of products, overall atmosphere, can I do it in my backyard, popularity,
    venues for a Baton Rouge resident, etc. I can be a bit of an extremist, so since I will likely invest a good
    bit, I want to make sure it's a good fit for me & my family! Thanks so much Bayou Shooters!!

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Airsoft will be much easier in a backyard setting, they even have biodegradable bb's so you don't have to worry about cleanup. I'd let your kid do paintball though, as long as the camp uses proper safety equipment it is a very safe sport. I played competitively at the collegiate level for years, most severe injury was some scrapes and bruises and one sprained ankle.

wfarrell1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I used to play paintball for a sponsered team, havent played too much of airsoft,

I will tell you up front, paintball is not a cheap sport to get into, though the guns have become cheaper with time, the paintballs are not cheap and if you have to go to a paintball field to play it can get very expensive quick, due to the fact you have to buy their paint etc. It is ALOT of fun though, once you play you will get hooked. Also you can do it in your backyard, BUT you really need a big area away from other peoples houses and such because the pballs will travel decently far.

Airsoft is also CAN be exspensive to start playing but depends on what kind of gun you buy price wise. But it will be cheaper in the long run due to bb's being cheap to buy. Also im not sure if you travel to covington/mandeville area ever, But there is a really good proshop called gunfighter paintball. This is their website http://www.gunfighterproshop.net/ they have tons of both paintball/airsoft gear. If you are looking for good quality gear they are the place to go to.

As for the kids id say go airsoft over paintball, I believe they are a few years too young to play at any fields yet but not 100% sure.

This is a link to a local field that does paintball and once/twice a month also airsoft.

http://www.paintball-command.com/

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    +1 on airsoft. You can spend $20 or $600+ on just about anything you can imagine. You can play in the back yard, but should still wear proper safety equipment (at least shooting glasses).

wfarrell1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Airsoft will be much easier in a backyard setting, they even have biodegradable bb's so you don't have to worry about cleanup. I'd let your kid do paintball though, as long as the camp uses proper safety equipment it is a very safe sport. I played competitively at the collegiate level for years, most severe injury was some scrapes and bruises and one sprained ankle.

yeah, thats bout worse injury I ever had playing, tho I watched a kid slide into a inflatable spike that was laying on the ground, it ended up going into his knee did some decent damage. But it was contributed to a poorly run field that isnt open anymore.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    At that age start off with Nerf guns. Use some tarps, cardboard boxes, drums or plywood cut outs in the backyard. Get mom involved too. No pain and just as fun as airsoft. When he is older and can take a hit "paintball" is the sport.:D

See link below.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?76803-Airsoft&highlight=airsoft

Also, The advice from the fellow ballers above is spot on. We've probably traded paint in the past.

Last edited:

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    paintball.gif

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Airsoft all Roy really need is eye protection, good wrap around glasses or goggles.
    Tho a mask would protect the sensitive face area.

You can also get marking Airsoft bb's too.

Top Bottom