Painting your guns- my project pics

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Well as promised in the "spray paint your guns?" thread a couple weeks ago, I took it upon myself to try it. popped my painting cherry on a hi point carbine, and figured since it was such an ugly gun to begin with that I couldn't do much harm.

This project couldn't get much easier or cheaper- if anyone's on the fence about painting one of theirs just do it, its a lot of fun. I'm already considering my next.

This gun isn't intended to win any beauty contests, but whole project including the accessories came in ~100.00. I like the gun much more and at that price :dunno: why not do it for a weekend project.

"before"
    gunpics025_zps853cd1dd.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

cleaned and taped off
    gunpics026_zps12b3990c.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

painted- 4 full coats and the matte clear to finish
    gunpics036_zps41a66036.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

finished with accessories installed: hogue grips, muzzle break, bipod, front grip, dual mag holder, red/green dot scope, forward grip
    gunpics041_zps90bb86ab.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

gunpics043_zps3d8d3d09.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

this part im going to take the paint off of, I think it'll look better black.
    makethisblack_zps26f80773.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    the 15-round from promag in the gun, the factory 10-rounder in the mag holder.

anxiously awaiting the factory 30-rounder coming in april.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Looks good.

Does the 15 round promag function well?
    I've looked at them in the past but wasn't sure how well they functioned.

Looking up info on the 30 round factory mag now.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I've read all the horror stories, but the fellow I bought it from worked the springs pretty good on 2 of the magazines, and 2 he said he hadn't gotten to yet.

At the range I could tell which 2, and I labeled them with a mark. He said the problem is the springs are a little too tight, which causes ftf's. He pumped them with a dowel rod while watching TV and left them loaded while stored to weaken the springs a bit- it worked. 2 of my mags fired 15/15 and the others had 1 ftf every time on round 13 or so. The horror stories are legit. You'll notice in my pic above that the extra mags in the case are loaded- thats why.

The factory 10-rounder had zero issues as well, here's hoping the 30 mag follows suit.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    saved the link on my pc at home, i looked to reference but i couldn't find it earlier at work.

when I called hi point about the dual mag holster "Danny" advised me that "its intended for the 10 rounds, the 15's we can't speak for and the 30 won't fit.

"erm, excuse me? 30?"

"Yeah, april or early may for the 9mm only"

edit: fyi, the 15 rounder does fit the dual mag holder just fine

Last edited:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    My 15round promag kept having issues. I added some epoxy to the front of the follower and now it's OK. Still wouldn't trust it.
    If they really have a 30 round coming I'm excited if it works like the 10 rounder

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I cleaned the gun inside and out very well, let it dry, then gave it a quick once-over with super fine grit sandpaper. then wiped it down again, and started sprayin.

not sure if the sand paper made any difference, but the research I did online all included that step so I followed suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom