Palo Alto mid-range shooting clinic 9/19

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Welcome Lanny.

To anyone who has not shot at 600 yards, I am sure it sounds intimidating. Once you do it, you will be hooked. Reading the conditions, making an adjustment to your rifle and coming up with an X is awesome. It is what shooting is about. Recognizing that the conditions have changed, making an appropriate adjustment and coming up with an X qualifies you as a rifleman. It is a good feeling.

Listen to Lanny. He knows about what he speaks with respect to shooting. He can help you become a rifleman.

Dan

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    Hi guys, first post here. I'm Lanny Russell and I run the Mid-Range (600yd) Prone & F-Class matches at Palo Alto. I went to the range the other day to meet TDH and the guys and found myself sitting behind a spotting scope calling wind for some great people who were very interested in learning distance shooting. I sure enjoyed it and it sounds like they did also.

I would be happy to put on a clinic, possibly in mid-november. I will let Ritten and Chaser handle the details. Until that comes to pass, here are some suggestions you can work on in the meantime:

Pick a realistic rifle and load. I recommend a .308 with 175's in a bolt gun or a .223 with 75 or 80gr bullets. Equivalent calibers are fine if you are familiar with them and they are accurate.

Get a good 100yd no wind zero with the ammo you intend to shoot at 600. Do not change ammo.

Most any scope with 14 -18 minutes of elevation above 100yd zero will do, but target knobs are much much better. Click adjustments are second best, friction adjustments poor.

Re-set the scope adjustments to base zero windage and elevation. (physically adjust the knobs to zero without changing the rifle zero) You will need to add/subtract elevation and change windage adjustments, therefore you must be able to return to your no wind zero.

Test your rifle/ammo for accuracy. If it doesn't shoot well at 100yds it certainly will not at 600yds.

Practice your prone position at home (dry firing) and at the range.

Shooting well at mid and long range (or any shooting for that matter) requires three things; an accurate rifle and load, the ability to consistently break accurate shots, and the ability to read wind. Work with the first two, and we will have a fun day learning the third.

If we have enough interest I'll do an advanced wind reading school and a precision reloading clinic too.

Keep em centered.

Lanny

Great info the Lanny, Thanks! Thats exactly the kind of stuff us "wanna be riflemen" need to know. I would love to attend one of your clinics, sound like a great time. Welcome

Bam Bam just plain ole Bam Bam

xmeister

xmeister
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Prairieville
    Once again, thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'll try to poke a little insight into the conversation every now and then. Mostly stuff I've learned the hard way (making dumb mistakes).

Dan, thanks for the welcome. You have done good work here!

Lanny

jphilp87

Glock
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Ascension
    Welcome Lanny.

To anyone who has not shot at 600 yards, I am sure it sounds intimidating. Once you do it, you will be hooked. Reading the conditions, making an adjustment to your rifle and coming up with an X is awesome. It is what shooting is about. Recognizing that the conditions have changed, making an appropriate adjustment and coming up with an X qualifies you as a rifleman. It is a good feeling.

Listen to Lanny. He knows about what he speaks with respect to shooting. He can help you become a rifleman.

Dan

I'm definitely getting the itch to try this again. I backed away in the past because it does seem intimidating.

Keep me posted about stuff coming up in November! I am definitely interested.

Sulzer

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    count me in on the up coming clinic. i've been thinking about joining palo alto so i could get into longer distance shooting, and to find out yall have clinics too is great.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom