Para warthog 45 advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    Just got a para warthog 45. Looking for some suggestions with this piece. I am going to put a few hundred rounds down range this weekend. What is the best ammo for this? I have read these things can be finiky on what ammo they like. Anyone that carry's these any
    suggestions on holsters? OWB preferably. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    Mine eats anything and everything I feed it. It is one of my absolute favorite guns. The only thing I changed was the skinny plastic grips. With my big hands, it had a tendancy to slip and my thumb was constantly hitting the magazine release. Hogue fixed that. As far as holsters, not a whole lot made specifically for them that I could find. I just use a generic belt slide holster.

Rig Magician

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Houma
    Mine shoots anything I have put through it. I have shoot 95g Super swats to 230g round ball and they all shoot. I use cross breed IWB holster that is hard to beat. One of the best on the market and very comfortable.
    Mark

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    Well I shot about 80 rounds this weekend and mine didn't eat anything. I was shooting winchester 230 gr fmj's. I would not cycle a complete magazine one time. I would have to pull the slide back to make the next round come out of the magazine. Once or twice the fired round wouldn't eject completely. I would have to pull slide back turn gun upside
    down to get the casing out and to cycle the next round. Any ideas? I am thinking of trying a new magazine and cleaning the old one well. But beyond that I don't know.
    Other than that I loved the gun. I was surprised of the accuracy as well.

Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    On all my paras I have upgraded to Wolff springs in the mags. Those springs aloned solved most of my issues. Depending on how the gun is you may want to change recoil springs or see if the plastic mag catch/release is worn.

thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    If you bought it used it could be a magazine issue or springs. The mags are available from para ordinance website or you can buy rebuild kits. Springs for the gun are available from wideners as well as I remember and are inexpensive.

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    I looked on the wolff website but didn't see anything for the warthog. I will check the para site. I am going to order a new magazine and see what happens. I will update once I
    try that.. Hopefully that will take care of the issue. Thanks for all the input.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Sawed off 1911's (anything under 4 1/4") like the Para's, 3" Kimbers etc ALL rely on a properly functioning magazine or they simply will not work.

I would suspect that your mag springs need to be changed. Try that FIRST before you do ANYTHING else. Don't try and work on the feed ramp or changing any geometry inside the gun. You can do more harm than good.

Also, SOME of these same guns can be VERY finicky when it comes to ammo. What runs fine in one, won't feed in another. Get the mag spring or a new mag then try different ammo.

ETA: On Wolff's website, choose the springs for the Para P12. It's the same magazine as the Warthawg.

Last edited:

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    Thanks leadfoot. Thats what I was wondering if there was another that was compatible with the p10. I did send them an email and have received no response yet. I am for sure going to try a magazine first and then ammo and if that doesn't do it then I will have a professional look at it. I am sure there are some para experts on here that would be able to get it taken care of.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Well I shot about 80 rounds this weekend and mine didn't eat anything. I was shooting winchester 230 gr fmj's. I would not cycle a complete magazine one time. I would have to pull the slide back to make the next round come out of the magazine. Once or twice the fired round wouldn't eject completely. I would have to pull slide back turn gun upside
    down to get the casing out and to cycle the next round. Any ideas? I am thinking of trying a new magazine and cleaning the old one well. But beyond that I don't know.
    Other than that I loved the gun. I was surprised of the accuracy as well.

WWB causes problems in a lot of guns, might want to try shooting something else.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom