Paypal is operating like a criminal enterprise

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I just sold an item on ebay, I took paypal as payment. They now have a policy where they hold your money for 21 days!!! They will only let you get the money that the buyer payed for shipping if you pay for shipping through the paypal website, I am sure they get their cut. Oh and they release the shipping funds after you pay with another source of funds.

I have been using eBay since 2002, never again will I use it to sell an item.

Total BS.

JLouv

Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    I had paypal put a hold on my account once....they cited "suspicious activity" which would have included me logging in and making payments from multiple cities across the united states during a short time frame.

I called them and asked them if maybe, just maybe, someone who had a paypal account was a corporate pilot and traveled for a living. They were sympathetic to my plight and released the hold on my account after only 4 short months and numerous phone calls, faxes and emails... /sarcasm

F$#k paypal

And they're "anti-gun" so F$#k them twice

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Jan 23, 2007
    Never knew about that.

What you were selling must have been "high risk".

From Paypal:
    Transaction Holds

In certain situations, we may hold funds related only to a particular transaction. Below are circumstances where that may occur.

* eBay item holds - we may place a hold on a payment received for an eBay transaction when we believe there is a high level of risk that the transaction will be disputed or charged back. We may hold the funds for up to 21 days but may also release the hold sooner if the buyer leaves positive feedback on eBay or we can confirm satisfactory delivery of the item.
    * Disputes, Claims, Chargebacks, and Reversals - in the event that a customer files a dispute, claim, or chargeback or if we initiate an investigation, we will typically hold the funds in question until the matter is resolved. The buyer is less likely to escalate a dispute to a claim if you are working together on a solution. To learn more about PayPal Dispute Resolution, visit the Security Center.
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webs...tycenter/sell/FundsAvailabilityPolicy-outside

On Ebay:
    http://reviews.ebay.com/PayPal-2008-Changes-The-21-day-hold-on-your-money_W0QQugidZ10000000005528443

:)

Last edited:

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Jan 23, 2007
    Have you contacted Paypal and/or Ebay about why they are holding your money?
    Why might PayPal hold one of my payments?

To increase marketplace safety, we may hold payments that seem risky. Here are some common reasons for holding payments:

* You have been a member for less than 6 months, and you sell an item for more than US$100 (or equivalent), or
    * You have a feedback score of less than 100, and you sell an item for more than US$100 (or equivalent), or
    * You have a Buyer dissatisfaction percentage** - 5% or greater than 5%, or
    * You have an average Detailed Seller Rating (DSR) on eBay of less than 4.5, or
    * You have received fewer than 20 Detailed Seller Ratings in the last 12 months, or
    * You are listing your item in a high-risk category such as gift certificates, video games, cell phones, computers or consumer electronics.
    https://www.paypal.com/c2/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing/securitycenter/sell/SaferPayments-outside
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing/securitycenter/sell/SaferPayments-outside

:)

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Ok, maybe criminal enterprise is too much, maybe like the mob or a cartel is more appropriate... wait those are criminal enterprises.

They are holding my money because I moved and haven't sold enough items on ebay. Even though I have used paypal to send or receive money 37 times in the last year I am "suspicious". Oh, and I have used paypal at my new address 8 times since April....

I have a good ebay rating, no negatives in a few years, only negative was from circuit city when they listed their returns on ebay. Their computer program would not take my payment from an .edu email address and they thought I was lying to them to get out of paying for the item, I really wanted it but oh well.

I mailed the item to the buyer, not his fault, I just hope I get my money.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I had paypal put a hold on my account once....they cited "suspicious activity" which would have included me logging in and making payments from multiple cities across the united states during a short time frame.

I called them and asked them if maybe, just maybe, someone who had a paypal account was a corporate pilot and traveled for a living. They were sympathetic to my plight and released the hold on my account after only 4 short months and numerous phone calls, faxes and emails... /sarcasm

F$#k paypal

And they're "anti-gun" so F$#k them twice

Same thing routinely happens to my credit card when on cross country flights. Flew a Huey that has a 240 gallon fuel tank and burns 90 gallons/hour from here to Boise, ID. My card was shut down somewhere after the second stop in TX and again in UT. Both times it was because of the multiple ~$800 purchases about 200 miles apart.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Same thing routinely happens to my credit card when on cross country flights. Flew a Huey that has a 240 gallon fuel tank and burns 90 gallons/hour from here to Boise, ID. My card was shut down somewhere after the second stop in TX and again in UT. Both times it was because of the multiple ~$800 purchases about 200 miles apart.

My Neighbors debit card gets shut down when I make a purchase in Zachary and Baton Rouge in the same day. It goes on Fort Knox level lock down when I pay for a firearm and have it shipped to an FFL.

They should have had a warning that my money was going to be held before they let me post the auction, but they didn't, and know they have my money for 3 weeks, interest free, if they determine I am worthy to get it at that time. BS.

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    My wife and I routinely sell horse equipment several times a month using paypal mostly for funds and have never had a problem, in fact recently I purchased a used camera lens where the user mis-represented the item and I contested and won the dispute as Paypal as the arbitrator, they have never held outr money, just saying

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    My wife and I routinely sell horse equipment several times a month using paypal mostly for funds and have never had a problem, in fact recently I purchased a used camera lens where the user mis-represented the item and I contested and won the dispute as Paypal as the arbitrator, they have never held outr money, just saying

They gave me the reason they are holding my money, I don't sell enough and I have a new address -THEY SHOULD TELL YOU THIS UP FRONT- THEY DON'T IN ORDER TO PREVENT LOSING BUSINESS.

My issue is they did not tell me until after I received a payment for an item, my bigger issue is the only way to get the shipping money released was to pay for shipping through paypal with funds other than the funds the buyer used to pay for the shipping! That is mob like tactics IMHO.

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    and now they have my money for 3 weeks, interest free, if they determine I am worthy to get it at that time. BS.

That is the salt in the wound.

They've shut my friends' accounts down for months at a time, and yet they pay not a penny in interest for hijacking their money.

I will pay with paypal, but I will not accept it as a payment source.

But then again, I haven't bought or sold anything off of ebay or gunbroker in years.

whbonney26

Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    They pulled that crap on me a while back......they held my money....but I was out my item and then had to use my own money for the shipping since they were holding my money.

I have tried to not use pay pal as much as possible. I dont mind paying using paypal but I try not to get payments with them.

thomjb

Mar 24, 2010
    Southern IN
    I just purchased an Aimpoint and the seller said he needed delivery confirmation to get his $ rather than wait 21 days.:(

Geardo

Jul 27, 2009
    Carencro
    Mastercard shut my card down once, I was riding my motorcycle, and I was averageing over 130mph on the interstate through several states, after the 3rd stop for gas, they put a hold on my card. Said it was fraudulent activity, they couldn't believe it possible to make all those gas purchases that quickly in 3 states.

JLouv

Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville

Feel your pain there....but my fuel stops are usually 1,200 miles apart. :D

I did have a credit card get canceled recently. I bought lunch in Lafayette, and 10 minutes later, I apparently spent $300 on groceries in Lake City, FL!!!
    The cc company's treatment of that situation was stellar!!! Good to know they actually watch for stuff like that...

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    Well guys, I hate to shoot holes in your reasoning, but I LOVE USING PAYPAL! Think about it! If ther are anti guns fine DO NOT allow them to make any $$ from your purchase! Send the money as a gift and there is NO fees! USE THEM as your own little pack mule!
    I never pay fees, and they don't charge fees for gifts and donations!

KT

gonepecan

Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    My GF had this happen the other day. She's had an eBay account for a while, but it was the first item she had ever sold on it. The payment went through when the seller left positive feedback.

The whole thing is ridiculous.

Hardballing

Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Paypal blows.

Have not used it in years, that and it's evil spawing ground of Ebay either. Ever since Ebay mandated useage for their site and around the same time became uber anti anything firearms related.

If you can't accept a certified check or USPS mo for your payment, then I won't be buying from you. Ditto if you're a brick and mortar shop and won't accept c/c via phone.

As for paypal and THEM calling the shots. Uh...no.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jp3544
    Top Bottom