Perch Jerking in Slidell, LA.....????

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LSU007

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Slidell, LA
    Want to take my 4 yr old nephew for some fun perch jerking in Slidell. Still learning the area, just trying to find somewhere EASY and FUN to take him, that will guarantee results almost immediately!?!? Not worried about size of fish or type...will catch and release everything....just something to get him excited!!! Oh yeah, looking for something to fish without a boat...land based only!!! THANKS!!!

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Well I can't help you with your fishing but I have a Perch Jerking story.

A black woman brought her car to my friends shop and when he asked her what the problem was she said. "her car was perch jerking"

He finally figured out she meant it was missing. :rofl:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Take I59 N to the Pearl River turnaround, just before the MS state line. Two choices: You can parallel I10 back south and head for the gazebos set up on the pond (its closed a few months a year) and fish for perch and catfish (try wrapping a treble hook in cold biscuit dough and crushed dog food for the catfish), especially around dusk. Or you can go left and park and walk down to the Pearl River. If you go in the morning there's a good chance of seeing wildlife. I've seen possum and raccoon many times and even saw a small doe once on the opposite bank. If the weather's warm you can walk into the river and fish some of the snags and around the base of the bridge for the interstate. Try live worms, crickets, or spinners and try not to go just after a rain (too much real bait in the water). I've caught a few small bass and perch there. I don't always expect to catch there its just a nice place to fish, especially if you walk away from the bridges a ways.

LSU007

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Slidell, LA
    jcoaster...i've tried around the park behind Times Grill, if thats the one you are talking about....I havent had ANY luck there at all!!!

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I didn't have any luck there either.

Now, if you can find a place to fish the Eden Isles canals you'll do well. I've caught big catfish, gar, bass, trout and even redfish in the canal. A friend of my parents caught a 40lb gar in there last year.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Wherever you go, try to chum the water to attract some fish. Afterall, you want the kid to at least be in the game.

Go buy a small bottle of aquarium fish food (pellet type is better but flakes will work too). Throw a little where you are going to actually fish. The scent from the food will drift down into the columns of water and will attract fish. As soon as they start hitting it, be ready to fish. If they do not hit it, move to a place that actually has fish.

The rest is up to you.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I recently went to Fountainblue state park with my two neices and they have a little pond that is filled with perch. all the children there were catching fish and having a great time. Just go down hwy190 towards mandiville it will be on ur left. $1 dollar entry fee.

LSU007

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Slidell, LA
    Ive caught bass in eden isle canals...a bit more challenging and time consuming for a 4 yr old....lol

Ill have to try the fountainbleu state park....thanks for heads up!!! what you guys use out there for bait? worms? artificial?

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    I used to frequent Bayou Paquet, near the Bayou Liberty bridge, off of Thompson Road, and the West Pearl river. I had more great fishing days than bad.

Top Bottom