Perfect learner gun to rebuild

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ramsey6199

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Crowley area.
    Are there any good guns to start learning with? Perhaps a moderate priced gun with a vast array of interchangable parts. Looking to get into gun repair/ modification as a hobby and wanting to know a few good gun selections to start with. Very new to complete tear downs, only thing I have under my belt is a beretta 96d.
    A cheap to moderate priced item would be ideal.

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Anything at a local pawn shop. The cheaper and dirtier, the better. Find some books that show break downs and part lists for whatever model you find and start tinkering. Also, good tools will cure a LOT of headaches....don't go cheap on your tools.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I tear everything I own down to springs and pins to see how it all ticks. Last one was a mossberg 930 SPX. What I'm getting at is do you own anything other then 96? if so start there.

ramsey6199

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Crowley area.
    I own quite a few guns. Mostly Sig's. Not really wanting to take down my c3 or 226 platinum though. I was wanting to see about buying a couple of older used pistols and swapping out new parts/ updating them, to get the feel of it and then moving on to more premium items and improving them.

X Zombie

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    NOLA
    A Berreta is a much better platform to play with vs a 1911. Most, if not all Berreta parts are interchangable unlike the 1911 which replacement parts ussually come oversized and needs fitting.

X Zombie

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    NOLA
    I only have experience with the Beretta M9 or 92F civilian version and all the parts we received, from whoever the source was, were interchangable without modification. I can't say the same for 1911. I remember back in the day when I ordered a Wilson safety, trigger and hammer and thought I could just replace them on my Springfield. The hammer dropped right in and the pistol functioned, however it wasn't fitted to the sear. The trigger went in ok, but I didn't have the experience to know how to file it to make it run smooth. I didn't even attempt to try and fit the saftety. In the end I just put the factory parts back on.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Does beretta have items that are custom to swap out like 1911 such as different triggers or hammers?
    Yes. You can just about bling out anything these days. Also your 226 would be a geat one. You'd be surprised how well made and simple.

Last edited:

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    And would Brownells would be the place to get this sort "bling"?

The best place to learn about the hottest items for particular guns is that guns own forum with all thier followers. I think most people with beretta just swap plastic parts for metal ones and add a double action only hammer spring. At least thats what I do.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Does beretta have items that are custom to swap out like 1911 such as different triggers or hammers?

Yes they do. Here I am going to direct you to http://berettaforum.net/. They have a wealth of info about all the things you can do to a beretta, and are a great bunch of guys.

Another recommendation I will throw out is the Ruger 10/22. One of the most commonly customized and fun project guns around, a ridiculous amount of available parts and upgrades and they can be found very cheap used.

dmurph

Serious as dick cancer!
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Huntsville, TX
    I got started with pawn shop .22s they can be had for cheap and if numerich doesnt have a diagram and replacement parts, ebay or gunbroker usually does. After all is said and done you have a good gun that shoots cheap ammo and will always be worth something. +1 on good tools and a clean solid work space/ bench, with the right tools and space task will be much easier to learn and accomplish. good luck

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Yes. You can just about bling out anything these days. Also your 226 would be a great one. You'd be surprised how well made and simple.

I had to reassemble a friend's 226 after he detail stripped it for cleaning. neither of us had ever done it before but with only an exploded diagram printed from the internet, I was able to get it done. there was one spring that was a little confusing but in the end it wasn't too bad, especially for not having been the one who took it apart.

Top Bottom