Phone upgrade time what to get?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I ditched my cell phone two years ago. I found myself using it less and less to make actual phone calls. I now carry around my laptop with 4g service and use Skype if I need to make an occasional phone call.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I had an iphone 3s. Changed to a Galaxy S4. I love it and have not looked back. It takes time to adjust to the apps and function but spend a little time on you tube and the transition will go smoothly. I am very happy with my Galaxy.

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    There will always be those replies of someone switching or someone staying. The truth is it comes down to preference. Do you have any family members with an Android backup phone to lend you? Only way to know for sure is to test drive the device for 2 weeks. It must be close to two weeks because you will need to adjust to Android UI.

The iphone 6 is coming out soon and if the battery life is improved, I may switch back. I've had the iphone 3, 3gs, 4s. And the girlfriend has a 5. For Android, I've had Motorola RAZR maxx, Droid maxx, and note 3.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Day 3 with my wife's Samsung S5. So far I had to pull the battery once after the screen stopped responding after an Android update. No biggie. Now time to plug it into the ol' Mac get some music on it. Nope. No joy. There is a $5 third-party app that will allow wireless syncing with iTunes. Setup looks about as complicated as setting up a home network. All of a sudden I feel like I'm back in the PC world. I'm realizing real quick that like PCs, Android is a much more powerful OS, but everything requires tinkering and third party software. And if you are a current iPhone + Mac user you should do some research prior to the switch as it's going to be a little more challenging to get up and running.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    My Samsung Captivate Broke so I have been using an Iphone 4s
    and of course it is light years ahead of the Captivate.

What I like about the Iphone software is the quickness.
    I seem to be able to skim through working apps, click home and then Safari
    with seemingly no delay at all.

I like the way the general settings is set up and the ability to create folders
    and arrange apps.

I also think the camera is very nice and I'm not JUST talking mega pixels.
    the lens and options allow for very good pictures and videos.

I absolutely texting is flawless on the Iphone and the Speech-to-text function
    is really good too. Siri although I haven't used it much is very handy and pretty accurate.

My wife has a S4 mini and it too is nice.

The only downside is not having all Apple Products,
    this having to have a NEW charger for each Apple Phone that comes out :ohreally:

-Also it is/was a HUGE PITA to get custom tones on the I4s.
    I mean it like took me days to figure it out lol
    -Everything through Itunes? WHY!??! lol Android Phones can seemingly share things on/off your desktop by merely ragging it into and out of the hard drives. That ain't happening with Iphones.
    -Incompatibility with Android Bluetooth Devices - Major PITA too.
    but with the way Data plans are these days you can just share with Data.
    However Bluetooth would be better.

Anyway, I find the Apple Product Quality & Ease of Use = Unmatched.
    There is a lot of little features I notice that make using the phone so much easier
    and smooth. Not to mention fast. The phone operates as fast as you can operate it.
    I can unlock thew phone and just start opening up Apps and switch from each one back and fourth
    opening up a dozen or more and the phone operates as I click. No waiting. THAT to me, is important.
    I don't like to wait.

Also the features available FROM the Lock Screen on the IOS software is VERY nice
    and a great bonus. Screenshots, camera, Bluetooth, flashlight, calculator, AP mode,
    MP3 control, all without unlocking the phone. Also IOs freezes any app not currently being used
    so no running in the background unless the App specifically needs to as well as a QUICK and very EASY
    way to close apps. Double tap, and slide up. You can close 30 apps in a matter of seconds.

NOW, all that said. Some of those features may be available with the new S4 and S5 series phones.
    The Droid Razr Maxx Series is another outstanding phone and has THE longest battery life of all smartphones.
    But there are just too many Apple Exclusive (perks) that I know Android phones don't have.

My wife has the S4 mini and it's a heck of a phone. it's also the LARGEST phone I would consider,
    as is the I5. If I can't operate the ENTIRE phone with one hand and a thumb of the same hand,
    it's a no go for me. I like phones, not tablets.

I too am due for an upgrade and will likely be switching to Verizon or AT&T
    so I'll be able to choose any of the new phones at a discounted price.

(IF) the Iphone6 is BIGGER than the 5, I will not get it. I just have no use for huge phones.

I'm seriously considering the I5s though.
    Plenty of processing speed, memory, hard-drive and covers all the bases I need in a phone
    with the perks I mentioned growing accustom to above.

But I have not ruled OUT, the possibility of an Android Phone.
    The ability to Rip Data on off from peer to peer phones is very nice
    as well as the use of SD Cards.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    I went from an iPhone 4s to the galaxy S4 back in November, it took a minute to get adjusted, but I like the galaxy's ease of use with files and music, but you can jailbreak the iPhone and be almost as happy. But I like how I can just add a 64 gb sd card and I got memory covered.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Thats' s one thing I couldn't figure out about iPhones. My memory was full, so I needed to transfer pictures and videoes to my Macbook. Was. Not. Happening. You can't even select individual songs to put on the phone, you have to create a playlist and tell iTunes to only sync that playlist. Anyways, back to the pictures, I plug the phone to my GF's Toshiba and I can access the pictures just like it's an external hard drive. Cut, paste, done. Pictures and videoes now removed from my phone and onto the computer with about 5 clicks.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Thats' s one thing I couldn't figure out about iPhones. My memory was full, so I needed to transfer pictures and videoes to my Macbook. Was. Not. Happening. You can't even select individual songs to put on the phone, you have to create a playlist and tell iTunes to only sync that playlist. Anyways, back to the pictures, I plug the phone to my GF's Toshiba and I can access the pictures just like it's an external hard drive. Cut, paste, done. Pictures and videoes now removed from my phone and onto the computer with about 5 clicks.

In iTunes, after your phone is connected there's an option to "manually manage music and videos". Click that and you can drag and drop whatever you want onto the phone. Pictures are not handled by iTunes, you use iPhoto to import them.

Silken

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Windows computer....so i have a Windows phone...the lumia 920 LOVE IT! Especially with the latest windows 8.1 software. Integrates Really well with your home computer.

jjoker16

Rating - 98.3%
    57   1   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    I got the iphone 4s when it first came out. And UPGRADED to Samsung Galaxy S4 back in December.

To say the samsung is better would be an understatement.

Its like having 2 cars.

One does 0-60 in 4 sec.

The other does 0-60 in 4 seconds with your friends in the back while pulling a 20ft trailer full of properly plucked emus.

Its really that simple. If you make the switch you wont be disappointed.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Since Jobs died there has been a lot of lackluster coming from Apple. Everything they release for the most part has been the same stuff as before with very small updates. Samsung has really come a long way.

KaCajun Boy

Crazy Kracker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    NOLA
    To me it just seems like the 5 or 5s will be no differnt than the 3g I had back in the day. It's like all apple does is make the newer iPhone a lil faster and change the camera to make it a lil better I'm really thinking of going to something like the Galaxy s4 since it is smaller than the s5 but I still don't know yet.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Their whole goal is to dumb things down and give you as little control as possible. Good for my tech-retarded mom, not really what I want. They make changes, but other than prettier graphics and a few little tools, the user doesn't really see them. Not saying it's always a bad thing, I've tried several others and still think the iPod is easily the best MP3 player around. I still use a 3rd gen Nano because I like being able to skip with a physical button through my pocket.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    The guy at the ATT store told me that the Iphone 6 will be out in September but not to get one for a while. Let Apple work the bugs out first .

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    I like my iPhone for the same reason I like my Glocks. It just does what it's supposed to do... except sometimes it doesn't and you have to reboot it. It would be really nice if it had an SD card slot, but I stream all my music, and back up my photos/videos to my computer, so meh.

southlaems

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    Houma, LA
    Switched from Iphone 5 to Gallaxy 5s last week. 2 free apps (1 for iTunes music) and a sync app (contacts, email and text swapper) I moved all of my music from iTunes and everything from iphone to new device. Hands down better with windows phone to sync to windows computer. Plug it in and use it for files and such like a thumb drive. I love it.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    An android based HTC is the only phone I will spend my money on. My Incredible 2 has been incredible. I can't count the number of times I've dropped it, hard, onto concrete, tile, asphalt, and gravel. Flat on the screen or sharp on the corner, this phone has just laughed and kept on going. I had an HTC Eris before this one and it was just as tough. I have never used an otter box or any other kind of case. I'm talking about bare phones.
    The Samsungs are very nice, but they stay as my second choice because they are fragile by my standards.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom